• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

smoked chocolate

rebgold

I've cold smoked chocolate successfully and got good smokey flavour. All you would need is a cardboard box, soldering iron, soup can and wood chips. I put the chocolate in a wire basket from the office supply section. Open one end of the can most of the way, put the wood chips in it, soldering iron in there with the wood chips (make sure it's not one where the plastic on the soldering iron is going to melt).

Is the soldering iron just to light the wood chips?

I like the smoked salt idea, but does salt taste good with marshmallows?

Yup - just makes them smolder.

I just put a bowl of melted chocolate at one end of a hotel pan and a smoldering packet of wood chips at the other end, pop the lid on it and give it an occasional stir and taste until I'm happy with it. Not particularly scientific or creative I suppose but it works.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I've been pondering buying an iSi whipper to do some quick infusion experiments. I've also thought about how ti get a smokey chocolate flavor. I wonder if using to cold smoke some some water with a smoking gun or other method and then infuse it with some cocoa nibs would do the trick. What do others think?

I've been pondering buying an iSi whipper to do some quick infusion experiments. I've also thought about how ti get a smokey chocolate flavor. I wonder if using to cold smoke some some water with a smoking gun or other method and then infuse it with some cocoa nibs would do the trick. What do others think?

One way to find out! Let us know how it works.

• 2 weeks later...

-6or8 inch hotel pan on top of a mild heated surface

-smoldering chips in hotel pan

-4 inch perforated hotel pan lined completely with aluminum foil on top with a few holes poked out at one end

-a bowl of chocolate at opposite end of punched holes.

-wrap top with foil as air tight as possible.

-poke a couple of holes at the opposite end above the chocolate.

-wait.

Edited by chiantiglace (log)

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea