• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modernist Ingredient Kits

Chris Hennes

Wow, I was feeling pretty good about my "collection" until you posted that... I am missing like 25% of those! I shall redouble my efforts.

I should mention that this stuff has accumulated for specific purposes and idea tests that have nothing to do with the modernist cuisine books so some of them may be of no use to those gathering ingredients for that specific purpose. I don't have the books and haven't had the opportunity to see them at this point. They're on the short section of the wish list though.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd still love to see some smaller portions of transglutaminase.

There seems to be a product opportunity for Nathan (or a partner) here.

The Red Spoon Company in Sydney sells small quantities but I don't know if they ship internationally.

Looks like Transglutaminase is finally available in small portions (50gr for $12.99) from Modernist Pantry, here: http://www.modernistpantry.com/activa-rm-transglutaminase.html

I have not ordered anything from these guys but the site seems pretty well stocked.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Transglutaminase is finally available in small portions (50gr for $12.99) from Modernist Pantry, here: http://www.modernistpantry.com/activa-rm-transglutaminase.html

I have not ordered anything from these guys but the site seems pretty well stocked.

Thanks for the link. I ordered a supply of 15 items from them and the order was shipped immediately. They have an excellent selection that goes beyond most of the kits I have found so far. Each ingredient is clearly labeled and packaged in a heavy duty resealable pouch. I wouldn't be surprised if they would get an item that is not on their list if you asked.

Paul Eggermann

Vice President, Secretary and webmaster

Les Marmitons of New Jersey

• 1 month later...

After a lot of browsing and comparing I found that Modernist Pantry and the Artistre kit off Amazon offer pretty complimentary components. The only overlap is Xanthan Gum and Agar Agar (edit: oh and tapioca maltodextrin I just noticed)..... which are common use anyway. So for a grand total of about $180 shipped I picked up both kits, a caviar spoon, syringe, a 100g by .01g scale, and a 1000g by .1g scale. I decided to hold off on the calibration weights for the scales since a stack of nickels will typically suffice.

MP:

Gelling:

50g Agar Agar

10 Gold Strength Gelatin sheets

50g Iota Carrageenan

50g Methylcellulose HV

Thickening:

50g Perfected Guar Gum

50g Locust Bean Gum

50g Xanthan Gum

Foams:

50g Soy Lecithin Powder