• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Chocolate or Hot Cocoa

weinoo

Fat Guy just started an interesting topic about making your own hot cocoa mix.

But, my question is different. I've always called it hot chocolate.

What is this stuff we drink; hot chocolate or hot cocoa?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

For me "hot chocolate" could describe something other than a drink, whereas "hot cocoa" is predictably a beverage. Although, they're probably functional synonyms.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I think historically before tempering and conching and all that were figured out, hot cocoa/chocolate the beverage was the only way chocolate was consumed. So the "hot" wasn't necessary back in the day. But now it serves to clarify.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've never seen 'hot cocoa' on a menu or cafe board anywhere, even if most cafes (in Australia) make 'hot chocolate' from a powder mix. I guess 'cocoa' just sounds cheap... depending on which part of the world you're in it probably comes down to marketing.

It was probably less than ten years ago that I first saw a hot chocolate that was actually made from real chocolate- courtesy of the Max Brenner chocolate chain. It was revolutionary to me at the time, and made the cafe worth a special trip. It was something to marvel about with friends.

But in parts of Europe - especially Belgium - it seems normal practise to order a hot chocolate and to receive a jug of hot milk and a mound of real chocolate. Oddly enough, my morning coffee bar (in Sydney) has this option but calls it 'Italian hot chocolate', and when I asked why the owner said it was because the supplier is Italian.

Because I usually have a mound of dark couverture in the pantry, I serve up hot chocolate to guests as a jug of hot milk and a jug of melted chocolate and everyone always comments on how 'fancy' it is...

Quite simple, really. Hot chocolate is made with hot milk and either Nestle's Quik or Hershey's syrup, and hot cocoa is made with hot milk, and well....cocoa. And sugar of course, and a pinch of salt. All are excellent, it just depends on what you have in the house.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

To me it's always hot chocolate, partly because I grew up in Italy, and the beverage (which you actually spoon from a small cup, since it's quite thick) is called 'cioccolata calda', which is simply 'hot chocolate'. There's another reason, however, and that's that some countries use the term 'cacao', and others use 'cocoa', further complicated by people using the term they think I'd use, while I'm using the term I've heard used locally... 'hot choc' it is.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Regional differences, family nomenclature, ethnic heritage, habit, all affect what people choose to call most things. Heated chocolate drinks certainly fall into that category.

Personally, I don't think it matters one whit what you call it as long as you, and the folks with whom you are speaking, understand what you mean. If so, then you're "correct."

It's been my personal experience that you don't get very far when you start trying to "school" others with your distinctions.

(And didn't we just have this chat a couple of months back?)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Quite simple, really. Hot chocolate is made with hot milk and either Nestle's Quik or Hershey's syrup, and hot cocoa is made with hot milk, and well....cocoa. And sugar of course, and a pinch of salt. All are excellent, it just depends on what you have in the house.

... and if it's made from packets that include milkish powder, it is "hot chalk".

Actually I agree that they are functionally equivalent in most instances. The Italian version was a real surprise when I was a kid and first encountered it.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.