• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bitchin Kitchen

David Ross

Have you noticed that, like Sandra Lee, her kitchen is completely redecorated and her cabinets entirely reupholstered for each episode?

I've read on a different board that she is mocking Sandra Lee, so I love her for that. Also, I'm over 50 and I love her show.

A quick vote among my friends who've seen both shows says I've misjudged Bitchin' Kitchen - apparently it's not as bad as Semi-homemade, which I maintain is the height of American kitsch and excellent entertainment in very small doses, much like talk radio.

It also says I need new friends, preferably ones who don't watch terrible cooking shows. :hmmm:

Anyway, from the last few posts I'm getting the impression it's actually the over-40 crowd who's digging the show and us young 'uns who are hating it. Thoughts?

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Far from it being the "over-40" crowd who is digging Bitchin Kitchen. I'm 53. I find the show dreadful. Far worse than Ms. Semi-Homemade and Ms. Y'all Deen. Far worse.

I believe the initial thought that formed in my brain, once I *could* form thoughts after being exposed to this abomination of a TV show was...

"Who is this dim-wit bimbo and WHY in the name of all that's good and right is anyone giving her air time on any television network, anywhere?"

And that was after literally about 30 seconds of seeing the mess while channel surfing.

I stand by my initial assessment.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Far from it being the "over-40" crowd who is digging Bitchin Kitchen. I'm 53. I find the show dreadful. Far worse than Ms. Semi-Homemade and Ms. Y'all Deen. Far worse.

Yeah but

I'm coming up on 50 fast, and I like it.

I've seen 3 or 4 episodes and laughed all the way through the break up episode.

She can cook with real ingredients, so I don't get the Sandra Lee comparisons.

She isn't Julia.

So what's wrong with having a little fun?

and

I've read on a different board that she is mocking Sandra Lee, so I love her for that. Also, I'm over 50 and I love her show.

and I don't see a single person posting "hey, I'm 18 years old and I think Bitchin' Kitchen ROCKS!"

Either way, if that chick makes you nauseous you are a man of discerning taste. :raz:

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I'm... confused. I think it's meant as satire..? I had to look this up on youtube, since I don't have TV access, and I realize that on youtube, things may be decontextualized. Satire/comedy or not, my immediate reaction was writhing embarrassment (at being female, at being even part Italian-American, at being alive...), but I kept watching, to try to figure out whther or not it's a joke. And I think it is. And I think whatsername is fully in on it, and enjoying it.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I think I would rather lick a dead bear's tush or be subjugated to Vogon poerty than watch this "show". Don't they have quality standards anymore?

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I'm... confused. I think it's meant as satire..? I had to look this up on youtube, since I don't have TV access, and I realize that on youtube, things may be decontextualized. Satire/comedy or not, my immediate reaction was writhing embarrassment (at being female, at being even part Italian-American, at being alive...), but I kept watching, to try to figure out whther or not it's a joke. And I think it is. And I think whatsername is fully in on it, and enjoying it.

This just can't be satire. I think that is giving the "talent" far too much credibility.

After being repulsed by the promos, I stumbled across the actual show, and I was.... amused. I don't have much of an expectation that a useful cooking show would be shown on FoodTV/Cooking, so as a piece of entertainment, I liked it. The show is clearly having fun with itself - good, silly fun. Most importantly, for the sake of eGullet - I didn't think it was worth several pages of discussion either way. I guess that it succeeded in stirring some passions.

Unlike some of the previous posters, I do like David Rocco's show if only for the contrived glimpses of Italian culture.

And his wife in a bikini... dear lord.

That is a definite bonus :biggrin:

That is the only bonus IMO. I never thought I would actually turn away from a cooking show set mostly in Italy, but Rocco annoys the crap out of me and comes off as pompous. Like a previous poster already commented...I so miss Molto Mario.

As for Bitchin Kitchen, I've only caught glimpses from it and it really is repulsive to me (does she actually have half-naked Jersey-shore-cast look alikes on her show???). I am not sure what she was cooking (could be a kick-ass Timpano for all I know) because her shtick is just way WAY too much. I realise it's an act, but it's the equivelant of repetitive fart jokes in a movie, It gets old and disgusting after about a minute or two. She has nothing going for her, unlike other Cooking Channel female hosts. Rachel Allen, for example, she made puff pastry from scratch on TV! she looked great doing it, made it look easy and fun. I'll be watching her show more often.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Eh... I don't understand the vitriol. I've seen a few episodes (shoot me, I'm an insomniac and her show airs very late here) and I was mildly amused. During her segments at least.

I grant you that the cheeseball, stereotypical "Guido" side bits are juvenile and moronic, but I think the show -- as a whole -- is a cleverly tongue-in-cheek segment that actually has some decent cooking tips for the novice cook, while being cleverly wrapped up in a bow for those people who aren't in Paula Deen or Rachael Ray's demographic.

I'm in my 40s and far from being a novice cook, but if I had to watch a cooking show on any of the FN branches, then I'd watch her show any day over that revolting, revulsive, repellent Rachael Ray. Same thing for Paula Deen and her endless Southern-shctick involving lots of butter. In fact, I'd rather go to the dentist than watch either of them. At least, that Nadia woman has a sense of humour and is completely mocking herself while preparing a few dishes that are slightly beyond the shoddy meals that revolting Rachael Ray person does. (And let's not start even on Sandra Lee!)

Call me crazy, but to me, it's slightly like a Jon Stewart version of a cooking show. To be honest though, I generally stay away from cooking shows on the FN and its entities like the plague. I may just watch Bitchin' Kitchen in a bout of insomnia, but I'd take her satirical self-mockery and sufficiently basic, simple dishes any day over that annoying one-note hack and smugly self-satisfied, Bobby Flay. My God, is there no END to the amount of shows he now has on the FN/Cooking Channel? Is there no bloody escape from him??!?!

Edited by Kafka Zola (log)

"There are dogs, and then there are German Shepherds.... "- Unknown