• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Richard Blais TV series

runwestierun

I saw an ad tonight for a new show starring Richard Blais on the Science Channel called "Blais Off". The press release says it premiers Friday, December 17th.

BLAIS OFF (December 17) - How can one man beat the world's most renowned chefs and experts who have been spent decades perfecting their recipes? That's easy -- with Science! Top Chef Superstar and culinary modernist Richard Blais brings to Science Channel a daring mission to re-engineer America's most beloved and favorite meals. He uses ultra-modern tools and super cool techniques to deconstruct and create new-and-improved versions of America's most popular meals using science and technology. It's science-based creative inspiration vs. decades of tradition and billions served. Fresh off Bravo's upcoming series, 'TOP CHEF ALL-STARS', which premiere's on Bravo on December 1, BLAIS OFF will have you craving seconds and thirds.

I admire him and am looking forward to the show. I just thought I'd give you a heads up in case you don't hang around the Science Channel (like I did tonight watching the super-intellectual "Punkin Chunkin'".)

Happy Thanksgiving!

BLAIS OFF (December 17) - How can one man beat the world's most renowned chefs and experts who have been spent decades perfecting their recipes?

I hope it's this: Think "Thrown Down" with Bobby Flay. Instead, we have a Blais Off. I started a thread about food shows we'd like to see and this could be very similar to my first suggestion...

For me, it would involve Wylie Dufresne and Homaro Cantu teaming up to try to beat a pair of top traditional BBQ chefs in a pork rib challenge. Rivals teaming up for a battle of new vs. old.

It will have one thing that 95% of Food Network shows don't have... A recognized chef with real culinary talent. Whether this makes for a good show, is another issue.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

TiVo only knows about programs 14 days out. You need to program it on Dec 3 or later. :-)

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished watching the first episode. (the pizza one), Kinda interesting. Not so sure what I thought about the pizza he whipped up. Mozzarella spheres seemed awkward. And did injecting CO2 into his dough starter really do anything? Wouldn't those bubbles have deflated while mixing? And what happened with the dehydrated tomatoes you saw him working on? You just him work on them, but he never said anything about them and you never saw them again.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Something just occurred to me. While Alton Brown occasionally likes to mirthfully seem to end run the lawyers, he really has not ventured into sous vide or, oh, say, heating an indoor oven with charcoal to 900 degrees. Is Richard on a bullet train to barrister town?

And what kind of charcoal was that anyway?

Edited by IndyRob (log)