• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caribbean flavors for a taco bar?

griddler

The theme for our next local outdoor gathering is Caribbean. I plan to grill some jerk chicken over an open fire (duh). Furthermore, there are a ton of Caribbean drink recipes (another duh). Since there are a variety of people, and flavor palates in the crowd, I thought it would be nice to put out a taco bar and let people choose from more or less spicy ingredients and build their own tacos (mixing foodies and neophytes can be a challenge). I have a large outdoor griddle and can sauté any combination of meat/vegetable/spice combination. A quick search on Google found a ton of restaurants and tacorias that are reported to have awesome Caribbean style tacos, but almost no recipes. In addition, a number of people in my crowd are known for not appreciating seafood, and living in the Midwest we can’t get great seafood anyway, so I don’t plan on serving fish tacos. Also, while I have enjoyed the goat curry the last couple times I was in Jamaica, Goat is not readily available in our local mega marts. So, to finally get to my question, does anyone have any good recipes for Caribbean style tacos (flour or corn) using chicken/ beef/pork.

I also have a couple of side notes.

1. A couple of web sites suggested that homemade tortillas are superior to store bought. Since the outdoor griddle will be up and running is it worthwhile to make my own, or should I buy store bought? I have a tortilla press that I bought on a whim some years ago, but have never really used.

2. I already got a jar of Mango salsa from Sam’s thinking that has to fit with the theme but could use suggestions on how to use it.

Thank

I can't offer anything on Carib fillings but I can give you my input on the two other questions. On the homemade versus store bought tortillas: if you have never done them before don't do them for a party. Also, the jerk style proteins are pretty front & center so the wrapper, if decent, should be fine. As to the jarred mango salsa- I would taste it. You may want to amp it up with some tart citrus. Looking forward to filling suggestions from others.

Not a recipe but how about Cuban style roast pork with a Mojo marinade, or braised beef called Ropa Viejo

You could probabley substitute lamb for goat if you wanted to...

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Too bad fish is out as that was indeed my first thought as is all seafood when talking Carib. Tacos really are not their thing, but I can understand where you are coming from as far as feeding a bunch. I would not make homemade tortillas you will have enough on your hands as it is and fresh tortillas are not hard to find anymore.

I am going to second the ropa vieja. I make that in a crock pot alot and we do end up putting it in taco shells especially at leftover time. And that would make another easy prep and serve addition to your meal.

So back to carib. Grilled mojo pork or chicken would be another go to for me. Had mojo flank steak last night. Look up tamarind based marinades as well. This is common for various meats. Things on skewers in various marinades would keep you organized on the grill and make for quick and easy placement in their serving vessels.

Plantain chips if you can set up a fryer? Mango/black bean salsa? We made that last night with the mojo beef.

Hope that helps.