• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meals that require at least an hour in the oven unattended

Chris Hennes

There are 2 that pop into my head immediately, both variations on the same theme of low and slow covered roasting of large pieces of tough meat.

The first is a pork shoulder that's rubbed with 2 parts kosher salt to 1 part chipotle chili powder. Use it fairly liberally over the entire surface of the shoulder. Plop it in a pan, seal it with a cover (as in a Dutch oven) or foil, and toss it into a 275° oven for 3&1/2 to 4 hours. Rest for 15 minutes, and shred. Eat that day as soft tacos in corn tortillas, with cilantro, and if you like a bit of salsa. Leftovers make the best pulled pork I've ever tasted. Good in enchiladas, too.

The second is a brisket (NOT corned) that's coated in a dry rub of 1/4C ground espresso beans, 3T kosher salt, 2T sugar and 1/2 tsp. chipotle chili powder. Coat all sides, and let sit in the fridge over night. Next day, slice a couple of onions and cut about 4 carrots into pretty good sized strips. Put the veg in the bottom of the pan that's just large enough to hold the meat (again, Dutch oven or roasting pan both work). Sprinkle fresh thyme leaves over the veg. Rinse the rub off the meat, and put it on top of the veg, with the fat cap on top. Pour 1/2C beef stock and 1&1/2C espresso around the meat, and cover or seal with foil. Bake at 350° for 3&1/2 to 4 hours. Remove meat and veg with slotted spoon, and let fat separate from jus. Season jus to taste and serve.

Both of these meet the magic time requirement, and also the "make your house smell FABULOUS" one !

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Chris, there was an article by Susie Middleton in Fine Cooking #62, from 2003 that might interest you. It was a series of recipes for marinated roast chicken-- the chicken is marinated, then the pieces are placed in a pan, the marinade is poured over, and the whole shebang is baked for the magic one hour. The recipe suggests that you baste at the 30 minute mark, but I never do. Here is my favorite, the triple-sesame roast chicken:

Thanks for posting this Jen! Sounds fantastic and is going on my short list of recipes to try...

• 1 month later...

This recipe for chicken baked with onions might fit the bill (I say just don't bother with the last two turns. Rice from the rice cooker and an asian-style slaw made before you leave would complete the meal.

I've made it a few times and it's very flavourful and forgiving.

If your oven takes a while to heat up, I also think you could put this into an un-preheated oven before you leave, and serve the same way as the dish above. Made with thighs it doesn't dry out easily and will definately smell delicious by the time you get home.

You could serve it with polenta, which you can cook ahead of time and which will stay warm on the stovetop for an hour.

I just wanted to add Paula Wolfert's polenta recipe (from here), because it is a leave-attended-in-the-oven-for-80-minutes version, so fits your requirements perfectly. (You could have it going alongside a braise or roast.) It's the only way I cook it anymore because it's so damn easy and the results are great.

Edited by Nicholas Ellan (log)

I meant to say something since earlier in the thread, but there's a thought to be given to how you leave anything in the oven / on the stove when you 'pop out for an hour'. What's the contingency plan for traffic accidents (someone else's keeps you back an extra hour; someone drives into you and it takes longer). Is there a failsafe in the loop ? The maximum I can set my (electric microwave combination) oven to stay on is two hours. It's frustrating sometimes but they have a point.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Good point, Blether.

We have a Stove Guard on our electric stove and oven. The maximum you can set it for is 99 minutes and then the whole shebang goes off. A pretty good fail-safe.

Stove Guard website and no, I don't have any monetary interest in the company.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.