• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chain Restaurants - Give me your thoughts

Shamanjoe

Talking about "chains" is meaningless until you define the term. If multiple locations is the only criterion, then Craftbar, Oceanaire, Rosa Mexicana and even Bouchon are all "chains," yet I'm confident that most people wouldn't talk about them in the same way they talk about McDonalds, Subway or Olive Garden.

Jaz, that's a good question. I think for most of us, "chain restaurant" became a dirty phrase when said restaurant stopped taking pride in the food and started thinking about locations, economies of scale in the supply chain, etc. I agree that a chain can be great, as long as each location takes the same pride in their food, customer service, whatever made the original famous as the original location did. Multiple locations may define a chain in the dictionary definition, but that's not the criteria we're thinking about when we label someplace a "chain restaurant.."

Let's use McDonald's as an example simply because they are so omnipresent. There are certain McDonald's that I wouldn't label a "chain restaurant" because they take pride in their food, their commitment to the history of the brand. My local McDonald's is a good example of this. It was owned by the same couple for over 50 years, and it was always far superior to any other McDonald's I went to. They refused to sell the franchise back to the corporate office, and eventually lost control of it. Now I won't eat there, because it's like every other McDonald's around. If a restaurant can successfully expand and keep the same qualities that made the original special, then our derogatory label of "chain restaurant" doesn't apply.

Does that make sense? I hate arguing semantics.

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

Jaz, that's a good question. I think for most of us, "chain restaurant" became a dirty phrase when said restaurant stopped taking pride in the food and started thinking about locations, economies of scale in the supply chain, etc.

That is part of what I was trying to get at with the distinction between the local and national chains. Part of the problem for chains is that what people expect in a chain is uniformity: You can walk into any one and know what you're getting. How do you do that? With more and more locations over greater area, more top-down control is required, more centralized processing. There's almost no way to do this economically without compromise. One of the things I hate about chains is that I usually feel like I've just gotten a poor value for my money: it wasn't very good, and it wasn't necessarily cheaper than other options.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I've eaten much mediocre food at large chain restaurants, and very little truely bad food.

I've eaten a good deal of bad food at small local restaurants when I didnt know the area.

Every chain I've eaten at has at least one dish they make very well. Figure out what it is, and there's no pain in the chain.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

. . . .

With more and more locations over greater area, more top-down control is required, more centralized processing. There's almost no way to do this economically without compromise. One of the things I hate about chains is that I usually feel like I've just gotten a poor value for my money: it wasn't very good, and it wasn't necessarily cheaper than other options.

Saying that you can’t control quality and costs through centralized purchasing disregards basic economics. Done properly, large scale purchasing and distribution keeps costs down. That's why most Mom and Pop places use the same purveyors as many chains -- Sysco being the most obvious example. In the case of the largest chains, regional commissaries serve the same purpose.

I've eaten much mediocre food at large chain restaurants, and very little truely bad food.

I've eaten a good deal of bad food at small local restaurants when I didnt know the area.

Every chain I've eaten at has at least one dish they make very well. Figure out what it is, and there's no pain in the chain.

Right. In many places, a chain offers the best food available. If you're on a business trip, the predictability of chains is a good thing. You understand the value proposition, know what you'll be getting, and will never be questioned about an expense report. I don’t always have time to investigate the local possibilities, and relying on the indigenous population is risky. As Calvin Trillin pointed out, most people don’t know where the good restaurants in their communities are, not to mention that being part of the local color doesn't exempt you from the "90% of everything is crap" rule. Sorry, but most M&Ps just aren't very good.

A notion expressed earlier in this topic -- that chains suck money out of the community -- is just unsupportable. Most chains are composed of restaurants owned and operated by independent local or regional franchisees. They employ local people, pay local taxes, and are encouraged if not required by the franchise agreement to support community activities.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Uniformity isn't bad. Conistency is good. It's something any place should stive for. Big chain, small local diner. High end dining or every day food. Would people like Per Se if it wasn't consistent? Of course not.

People are certainly correct that picking some random local, indepedent place can be real hit or miss. Frequently, you have to endure some bad meals to find the gems. But finding those "gems" makes it all worth it. At least, it can for me.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

When you have three little kids, who are screaming because they are hungry and wet, a chain restaurant fills the bill. They will have food that appeals to them, and restrooms. And, if you tip nicely, you don't mind the mess they've leaved. So, it's not local and sustainable and all of that; it fills the bill. At that point in our lives, fast or chain food made for much easier car trips.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

That's why most Mom and Pop places use the same purveyors as many chains -- Sysco being the most obvious example. In the case of the largest chains, regional commissaries serve the same purpose.

Yes, which is why many restaurants are as mediocre as the chains.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

• 2 months later...

At this stage of my life I tend to avoid chains as much as I can, except for the vital ones like Burger King and Subway. For me, I think the ones that are midway between a family restaurant and a chain are the worst, the quality of service and food just seems to be far below that of a regular cafe or restaurant. This will probably change once I have kids and have to accommodate for them, as said before.. But right now I'm enjoying being a bit of a snob :)

We travel a lot each year, basically across most of the continent and back at least once. When on the road, we often buy salad stuff and buns and such, but sometimes we just need to STOP and eat. On the freeways, it's a chain or starve, especially when you travel through the less populated states. No problem. I can eat breakfast at a Bob Evans, lunch at a Taco Bell salad or a Subway wrap and not have a problem. Not good food...but that's life. Not usually worth the hassle to find a local restaurant, and as noted above, often the food is wretched.

The only chain I truly loathe is Crackerbarrel. I don't like adult cute.

Am currently reading Fast Food Nation. It will be hard to be on the road again in the fall and eat at any chain.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I live in the Inland Empire in southern California and it's slim pickings for non-chain restaurants. There are some but not a lot. Chains - as far as the eye can see. So for the most part when we do eat out chains, owing to their massive presence, get most of our money.

As for the problem of hit-or-miss at the local mom-n-pop places I remember one particular meal about 15 years ago. My DW and I went to a local place that had been in business for years, and were anticipating a good meal. I can't remember the actual dishes we ordered but we both got oily, bland food that just was not a treat. They must have been on the decline because they went out of business about a year later. Since we only afford restaurant meals 1 or 2 times a year it was a major disappointment.

I don't get people's dislike of Chipotle's. I'm not expecting 5-star food - this is a fast food restaurant. But I feel what they do they do well. I enjoy getting just what I want put together as I ask for it. The meats are spiced and cooked well for fast food. I like the fact that I can opt for a salad bowl filled with the offerings instead of a burrito.

If you want to hear me rant about a chain I'll tell you about what I think of Wendy's square patties of doom. :wacko:

By the way, if you're feeling adventurous Rancho Cucamonga has a hole-in-the-wall bbq joint on Foothill called Red Hill Barberque and it serves up smoky pieces on heaven. The look of the place might scare you but it's top-notch.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

If we were on 84, then the stop would be at Rein's Deli.

I'll make sure to mention that next time I talk to them. I know the Reins quite well. I don't think they constitute a chain, though. They've tried to open other restaurants, but it's never worked the way their place on I-84 does.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the Inland Empire in southern California and it's slim pickings for non-chain restaurants. There are some but not a lot. Chains - as far as the eye can see. So for the most part when we do eat out chains, owing to their massive presence, get most of our money.

I can believe that. Most of the development in the IE is relatively recent. I spent my childhood in the East San Gabriel Valley and the Pomona Valley, and I remember when the Inland Empire was still mostly rural... and I'm only in my mid 30s.

By the way, if you're feeling adventurous Rancho Cucamonga has a hole-in-the-wall bbq joint on Foothill called Red Hill Barberque and it serves up smoky pieces on heaven. The look of the place might scare you but it's top-notch.

I'm jotting this one down for the next time I visit my parents.

Cheryl

When you have three little kids, who are screaming because they are hungry and wet, a chain restaurant fills the bill. They will have food that appeals to them, and restrooms. And, if you tip nicely, you don't mind the mess they've leaved. So, it's not local and sustainable and all of that; it fills the bill. At that point in our lives, fast or chain food made for much easier car trips.

No personal offense meant to snowangel, but her reasons for choosing chains overlap completely with my reasons to avoid chains!

When is a chain not a chain?

In Moab, our home away from home, the recycling station has huge...I mean HUGE mountains of cardboard boxes. Dozens and dozens and dozens from Sysco. Eat out...eat Sysco. Yummm. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

When you have three little kids, who are screaming because they are hungry and wet, a chain restaurant fills the bill. They will have food that appeals to them, and restrooms. And, if you tip nicely, you don't mind the mess they've leaved...

No personal offense meant to snowangel, but her reasons for choosing chains overlap completely with my reasons to avoid chains!

I was thinking the same thing. As others have said, "At this point in my life I see no reason to eat at chains". There are many elements to this discussion. Age, children or childless, availability, or convenience, and perceived value.

I am hard-pressed to remember the last time I ate at a chain, because I seldom have to. I think it was a Chili's at La Guardia, because I had little choice. The "chili" was terrible. So often the choice or necessity to eat at a chain is situational. I also remember needing to eat quickly before we boarded a plane. We ate at a Sonny Brian's BBQ chain. As an opportunity to get in one last bite of even mediocre Q before I went back to the "Land of Steady Habits", I didn't care one bit that it was a small Dallas chain.

Still there are those who see a Whopper as "comfort food" and lose all sanity when they are on the road. Me, when around Q? Who likes chains? Does complacency or ignorance enter into it? In almost every instance I can find something interesting to eat if I plan ahead or just follow my instincts and not be afraid. That, for me has been a natural instinct since I am adventurous and a risk taker. Meat and tater types may not want surprises or are fearful of funky looking places on the side street. There are no surprises at chains except for the wonderful options of "having it your way".

This topic is like preaching to the choir. Why would we be on eGullet if we didn't have a heightened awareness or abnormal interest in food?

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

While traveling on business, meeting others who are also from out of town, I find a chain restaurant is often favored by most folks who want to go out together to eat after a long day of meetings. The chain businesses have done their homework on what dishes have broad appeal.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

Chain Restaurants - Are there times when it's OK to go to one?

It's ok to go to a chain restaurant whenever/wherever you want to. It doesn't require the "I don't normally but..." disclaimers or the "I don't but other people do so I go along to be nice..." disclaimers or any other excuse. It's also perfectly ok to not got to chain restaurants. That's why they make red cars and blue cars. 'Cause people don't all like the same thing.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

While traveling on business, meeting others who are also from out of town, I find a chain restaurant is often favored by most folks who want to go out together to eat after a long day of meetings. The chain businesses have done their homework on what dishes have broad appeal.

Broad appeal is a good point. Very often the adventurous eater(s) has to cave to the wimps whether the food is good or not. I remember having to eat at Friendly's several times because my workmates voted to go there. Then there was the Chinese buffet, because it was cheap. Chains have their place when you must satisfy the lowest denominator. Placating people and getting along is not necessarily just about finding good food. A night ago we went to a circus-like place where the music was too loud and the place too big. A bustling, noisy chain where they had it down as to drinks and cheap/plentiful food that was acceptable. I think the older you get the less interest there is in these hoppin' food factories.

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...