• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dry Aging Beef with Specialty Bags

mmille24

Has anyone tried this?

http://drybagsteak.com/index.php

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=758505&catid=1

Now with that guys idea, you don't even need to buy a new vacuum sealer. I'm going to give this a try, I just ordered 3 big bags. I'll let you know how it all comes out. I called my local Costco today and they will sell me whole USDA PRIME ribeyes for 7 dollars a pound!!

Ran across a reference to these as I surfed the web today - time on my hands as I am confined to barracks with a sick relative. But I am very interested to hear if any members have used this system. It sounds feasible to me but then you haven't seen my high-school science marks. :laugh:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Sounds intriguing. There is a site here that talks more about the bags. Check out the suggestion for using a little sleeve of foodsaver bag to allow you to seal using your foodsaver. Brilliant in it's simplicity.

I'm a bit skeptical. I don't think you should be able to call this process true dry aging. The bags may be moisture-permeable, but the rate of moisture transfer is going to be very, very low compared with open hanging. Kind of like the difference between wearing a gore-tex jacket and wearing nothing.

Maybe should be called moist aging?

Maybe this can give good or even great results, but I don't trust the "scientific" article cited on the product page .. it reads like an ad and is in a trade journal, not a scientific one.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

They have been in there since Monday, look pretty good to me, the bags were sealed using a foodsaver. 19lb Choice Boneless ribeye, my Costco ran out of the prime. :(

I plan on aging for 21 days, so we have some more time to go.

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG