• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Inc

emilyj

I saw Food Inc back when it was in theaters and I was interested in hearing about anyone's thoughts on the film. I had no idea how processed most of the food in the grocery stores is and now I try to stick with fruit and vegetables from the farmer's market and eat less junk. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in knowing where their food comes from or if they are concerned about food safety and sustainability.

• 2 weeks later...

How ironic that I watched this today which is the opening day of deer season as the husband was killing us a deer for the freezer.

I thought this movie was very good-I've read, heard and watched other people/movies say the basically same thing but this wasn't as slow paced as others and I've still retained facts to throw out to "non-believers". I also thought this movie wouldn't resonate as much as it did, but I got both angry and sad while watching it. I hope a lot of people watch and take some action. Very enlightening. Can't believe how out of control our food industries are.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

• 6 years later...

Okay, found the YT link. This is a scary documentary! It is in English.

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

5 hours ago, JohnT said:

Okay, found the YT link. This is a scary documentary! It is in English.

Error: This video contains content from Magnolia, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

The video seems to be blocked in some territories due to copyright issues. This includes the USA, so far as I can tell.

I'm using a VPN. so YouTube thinks I'm in the USA. I can't open it.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

It's definitely worth a watch, if you are concerned about wholesome and nutritious food. It won 7 awards and 19 nominations, including an Oscar nomination for best documentary feature film, so it's not just nonsense from some crackpot with a conspiracy theory.

I thought I was pretty up on some of the terrible practices in our food industry, but this one certainly opened my eyes to some really incredible things I wish were not allowed to go on.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)

> ^ . . ^ <

I just rewatched this movie. I cannot recommend it enough for people like us who care about where our food comes from.

There is quite a long segment on the Monsanto, Corp. They are suing innocent farmers and seed processors whose crops have been contaminated by Monsanto's GMO patented crops. Monsanto wins, and mows them over, putting them out of business or licking their wounds, and trying to proceed from ground zero.

There is also a story about a lady who lost a small son to e-coli poisoning from hamburger. She comes out as a conservative, 

but has become an activist for food safety. It is sad to see her beating her head against the Goliath corporate wall with their purchased politicians, but she keeps at it.

Thanks to folks like her, positive change is being effected. Pink slime, ammonia treated beef trimmings, have been dropped from many fast food menus. Since fast food outlets are some of the largest purchasers of food in this country, they have a huge influence on our food supply. Some have promised or already are offering cage-free eggs, not buying pork where sows are put into sow stalls and gestation crates. Organic products are becoming more mainstream. Huge, huge corporations are making efforts to comply more with informed customer needs.

Information is good, y'all. Please share it.

> ^ . . ^ <