• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes that incorporate salami

Andrew Fenton

I recently bought a Fra'Mani salametto, and was disappointed by it. The main flavor is salt; there's some garlic there too, but it's mostly salt with a pork aftertaste. It's not awful, but it's not something I want to eat on its own, or even in a sandwich (except maybe one in which it plays a supporting role, like a muffaletta.)

Still, at $18 a pound, I want to use it up. So I'm looking for recipes that incorporate salami, in which the salami is balanced by other ingredients.

How do you cook with salami?

I recently bought a Fra'Mani salametto, and was disappointed by it.  The main flavor is salt; there's some garlic there too, but it's mostly salt with a pork aftertaste.  It's not awful, but it's not something I want to eat on its own, or even in a sandwich (except maybe one in which it plays a supporting role, like a muffaletta.)

Still, at $18 a pound, I want to use it up.  So I'm looking for recipes that incorporate salami, in which the salami is balanced by other ingredients. 

How do you cook with salami?

I can't say that I 'cook' with salami, however I do know a dish which incorporates either salami or hot spicy sausages, etc, and is not overwhelmed by them. A good family lunch type of dish.

It's a real oldie: Impossible pie. I think originally it called for cream of mushroom soup and hamburger, my idea of heck on earth.

So. First a layered effect of the salami cut pretty fine with whatever vegetables you choose: mushrooms, spinach, green and red peppers, etc.

Next three kinds of cheeses. Anything pretty much. I made a chicken impossible pie for the dog gang using cheddar, jack and parmesan.

Top layer is the biscuit dough made with 3 eggs and 1 1/2 cups of milk. 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

It's really flexible.

Another thing I would make is Picadillo. I have my own variation of it, called Picadillo a la Cabana (we live in Cavan) which includes lots of fruit and nuts and olives and chocolate and tomatoes and so on. To top a bed of pinto beans.

Hope you have fun whatever you do. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I always add finely chopped salami to a good lemony Tabouli (make mine with couscous from personal choice) just adds another dimension. Again, finely chopped, added to a decent Ratatouille is nice for lunch as is salami and a small amount of chopped fresh sage added to scones or American biscuits to serve with soup or as a topping with savoury minced beef.

cut into small cubes and fried, they can be used in place of bacon in anything that asks for bacon. Just some nice pasta, maybe a small onion and an egg mixed into the drained pasta (it'll cook from the remaining heat) makes a fun dish. Sprinkle on some fresh basil or oregano and you're done.

I actually like the framani wares, just think they are a bit pricy (to be expected of course). I'd probably try to return it to where I got it or at least give them some feedback. Maybe you got a batch that was not mixed well to be so salty? The ones I bought were quite delicious. But I also tend to like things on the salty side, might just be a personal taste preference?

Pizza is a good place for salami too, I'd slice it really thin and add it after baking the pizza.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Salami pizza

salami and egg sandwich

diced up over pasta

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Yum, salami and eggs....I grew up eating it with Hebrew National though...

My ex mother in law used to make her own salami and she used it in place of bacon or pancetta as mentioned above. She put it in her minestrone and in her meat sauce and it added a dimension that always left people asking, "what is that?"

and not in a bad way....

If that salami is too salty, tuck it discreetly into starchy dishes that need salt anyway. Some ideas from Pamela Sheldon Johns' Prosciutto, Pancetta, Salame:

- Saute garlic, mushrooms, eggplant, parsley and diced salami, and serve with polenta.

- Combine sauteed green onions, garlic, zucchini and bell pepper, along with cooked chickpeas and diced salami, and toss with cooked farro and a lemon vinaigrette.

- Saute chopped onion, carrot & celery. Add in some tomato sauce, rice, parsley, basil, oregano, thyme. Cook until the rice is done. Add some diced salami. Stuff the rice mixture into parcooked bell peppers, top with Parmesan, and bake until the stuffed peppers are heated through and the cheese is golden brown.