• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Food Guides for Outside London

Greetings:

The topic on food guides about London has some hints of what guides might be good for restos outside but I'd appreciate knowing folks' advice regarding restaurant/bisto/pub guides that are strong outside the London area.

We are particularly interested in one(s) like Italy's Osterie/Slow Food Guide or Southern France's Guide Gantié, that is, for places with good product, well prepared, decor and elegance immaterial. And obviously we're not looking for French food.

Thanks.

John

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

John

The "Good Food Guide" has stood the test of time. It has full UK coverage, is commerically independent (published by the not-for-profit Consumers Asssociation), professionally inspects the restaurants (annually?) and has a write-up on each place which is sufficiently comprehensive to allow you to form a view about whether a place is going to be worth a try. We are currently eating our way through entries within an hours drive of home - we've had occasional great meals, quite a lot of pretty good ones, and a couple that made you think "how does this get in the book".

The similar sounding "Good Pub Guide" is commercially published and should not be confused with the "GFG" but is worth a look-see. I'm unsure what the criteria for entry is. Certainly very good dining pubs that I know locally are not there, whilst others not well regarded ones are.

"Hardens" is also a useful restaurant guide relying, I believe, only on customer input. I think it has more entries than the GFG but the commentary is only a couple of sentences. It does cover "cheap & cheerful" places that the GFG does not include.

My regional centre is Manchester and a local recommendation would be the "City Life Guide" which again gives a pretty good overview of places. I imagine other metropolitian areas might have similar publications of online guides.

John

John Hartley

John

The "Good Food Guide" has stood the test of time. It has full UK coverage, is commerically independent (published by the not-for-profit Consumers Asssociation), professionally inspects the restaurants (annually?) and has a write-up on each place which is sufficiently comprehensive to allow you to form a view about whether a place is going to be worth a try. We are currently eating our way through entries within an hours drive of home  - we've had occasional great meals, quite a lot of pretty good ones, and a couple that made you think "how does this get in the book".

The similar  sounding "Good Pub Guide" is commercially published and should not be confused with the "GFG" but is worth a look-see. I'm unsure what the criteria for entry is. Certainly very good dining pubs that I know locally are not there, whilst others not well regarded ones are.

"Hardens" is also a useful restaurant guide relying, I believe, only on customer input. I think it has more entries than the GFG but the commentary is only a couple of sentences. It does cover "cheap & cheerful" places that the GFG does not include.

My regional centre is Manchester and a local recommendation would be the "City Life Guide" which again gives a pretty good overview of places. I imagine other metropolitian areas might have similar publications of online guides.

John

That's most helpful, thanks. You or someone else on the UK Forum wouldn't know whether the WH Smith in Paris would carry them?

John Talbott

I'd second the Good Food Guide.

Its independent, uses reader feedback, and does not charge for entry unlike some others. I've always found the descriptions accurate, at least at time of publication

There is always Michelin UK, if you like that style. A few controversial entries, over-rating of established chefs, and some suspicion that the furniture counts more than the food, but still regarded as the accolade to go for.

Add my vote for all three - GFG, Good Pub Guide and Hardens. I would advise against the AA guide. For the two years I wrote up entries, many had not been visited and I had to rely on menu only with no guidelines from inspectors. This was several years ago, however, and they may have smartened up their act since then.

I agree with comments on the AA guide. They are the 'weakest' of the bunch, unless it seems that the eatrie is London based or the establishment has rooms. I believe all the guides are extremely subjective but will in essense give the reader a broad outline. The GFG is probably the best of the bunch but even they can get it very wrong at times ( I got a personal phone call from the editor last year, following the guides publication but thats another story) and they do not visit every entry. Also their inspection teams are not all pro's, as it is widely believed with many being strong pillars of the local community, doctors etc. Possibly egullet members!!! There again, that may be a good thing, real people, with real views.

Also their inspection teams are not all pro's, as it is widely believed with many being strong pillars of the local community

Didn't know that. And it might explain a couple of the odd entries we've come across. Not that I'm suggesting anything untoward - but if you live in an area which doesnt have many half-way decent restaurants and you then have to review one which you regularly frequent as a punter, you might be more inclined to be generous in your view.

But if any GFG inspection team recruiters are reading, feel free to make contact with this respected pillar of society - retired civil servant, likes good scoff, willing to travel, etc :biggrin:

John Hartley

For the central belt in Scotland and a little further afield, I would recommend the List Eating & Drinking Guide. A new edition is out soon. All restaurants are personally reviewed. They do try to emphasise the positive! Look out particularly for the Hit List - the top restaurants in each category.

The current guide is also available on line. http://www.list.co.uk/eating-and-drinking/

Danielle Ellis

Edinburgh Scotland

www.edinburghfoody.com

• 1 month later...
Greetings:

The topic on food guides about London has some hints of what guides might be good for restos outside but I'd appreciate knowing folks' advice regarding restaurant/bisto/pub guides that are strong outside the London area.

We are particularly interested in one(s) like Italy's Osterie/Slow Food Guide or Southern France's Guide Gantié, that is, for places with good product, well prepared, decor and elegance immaterial.  And obviously we're not looking for French food.

Thanks.

John

Since I asked this question I thought I'd report on my experience with the guides after 11 meals in and about the Cotswolds and one in Chiswick (the Devonshire). I found no one of the four I bought (Michelin, Good Food, Good Pub + Hardens) superduper but using all four was able (with the help of friends) to triangulate. One complaint I have is that, as opposed to French guides I'm used to (Pudlo, Michelin, Lebey) that have some numbering or symbol system, it was hard to tell what would be the best place in a town or area. In any case thanks to all for helping me out.

John

John Talbott

Also their inspection teams are not all pro's, as it is widely believed with many being strong pillars of the local community

Didn't know that. And it might explain a couple of the odd entries we've come across. Not that I'm suggesting anything untoward - but if you live in an area which doesnt have many half-way decent restaurants and you then have to review one which you regularly frequent as a punter, you might be more inclined to be generous in your view.

But if any GFG inspection team recruiters are reading, feel free to make contact with this respected pillar of society - retired civil servant, likes good scoff, willing to travel, etc :biggrin:

I think that is one of the major problems with Hardens, villages that have one restaurant with a loyal following might get a disproportionately high rating.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"