• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cajun Andouille for an outsider

5 hours ago, Nondescriptentity said:

It sounds really hard to do. I'm a bit amiss when it comes to the quality. I apreciate your input and thank you all for your contributions. I don't know what to say. Making Cajun food out of Austrian food sounds really impossible.

Not impossible, just not truly authentic but as long as it tastes good to you and yours, that's all that matters. For what it's worth I never use okra because it is not readily available here and few people even know what it is. Just call it "My Interpretation of Gumbo."

• Like 1

So frustrating to converse into non responsive space. I've asked why? without answer, I think we gave you pretty good tips.  Austrian food is food. The basic elements of sausage, roux as previously noted are there. Paprika is certainly a common element. Oh well. 

Also if you have watched any videos Cajun cooks will describe the cuisince as a blend of many immigrant cultures including German.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdFJ5k7hxsY

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nondescriptentity said:

Making Cajun food out of Austrian food sounds really impossible.

Sorry, but I don’t think you are following this thread at all …

Es ist ziemlich einfach: Frag etwas, und die Leute hier tun ihr bestes, Dir zu helfen. Du musst es nur umsetzen. *

Wenn letzteres zu viel für Dich ist, oder Du eigentlich an konstruktiven Antworten gar nicht interessiert bist, wäre es besser, gar nicht erst zu fragen. **

Und nein - in Österreich (oder in Deutschland) ist es nicht schwer, Cajun-Gerichte zuzubereiten. Einfach machen, nicht nach Ausreden suchen, es nicht zu tun ! ***

—-

tl;dr:

* „People here want to help you“

** „If you don’t want help, refrain from asking“

*** „I don’t believe it‘s hard to cook Cajun food in Austria“

Edited by Duvel
Translation added (of course it can’t capture the beauty of the original language, but the message stays the same) … (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, heidih said:

So frustrating to converse into non responsive space.

5 hours ago, Duvel said:

If you don’t want help, refrain from asking“

My thoughts exactly. With all the information that has been given here on this thread, I think I could cook Cajun food in Costa Rica and I have a lot less available here than you would have in Austria.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 3