• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Washington Post Food Section

Miami Danny

Did anyone read the article about the NEW FOOD BLOGGERS? Four words-Mount Pleasant Group House. But seriously, is no one reading this enough to comment? Or is it that good that everyone just curls up in a loving embrace with section F? I liked the Ubuntu piece, and the recipes were pretty straightforward, esp. the dessert for one. It's good to see some new bylines.

Edited by Miami Danny (log)

Did anyone read the article about the NEW FOOD BLOGGERS?  Four words-Mount Pleasant Group House.  But seriously, is no one reading this enough to comment?  Or is it that good that everyone just curls up in a loving embrace with section F?  I liked the Ubuntu piece, and the recipes were pretty straightforward, esp. the dessert for one.  It's good to see some new bylines.

I'm sure a cultured gentleman like yourself appreciates the sad shape of today's youth when Mt. Pleasant Group House, rather than boasting harDCore bands in the basement and blasting DisChord on the porch, feature bands of bloggers watching bad TV. No wonder Ian McKaye never comes 'round the Raven no more. Sadly, I'm to old to move to Petworth where the next generation is selling their couch to buy their next guitar. But I'm passing the torch to Busboy junior, who already wears his first tattoo.

Someone on another board suggested that they were surprised at the quality of Sietsema's prose stylings on the Ubuntu piece -- I know you don't care for him but I have to agree, it was a good piece and nicely put together. And, made for a nice balance (for me, anyway) with the naval-gazing piece about the naval-gazers down the street from my house. Years ago we used to live in places like Mt. Pleasant to get away from those people. But, again, an interesting piece, or at least a very Washington one.

To your larger question, though -- I wonder, with everyone reading and writing 12 or 15 blogs or websites or on-line New York Times a day, has the big thrill that the slap of the newspaper on the morning steps and fresh feel of section F over coffee and toast used to bring grown a little less special?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Did anyone read the article about the NEW FOOD BLOGGERS?  Four words-Mount Pleasant Group House.  But seriously, is no one reading this enough to comment?  Or is it that good that everyone just curls up in a loving embrace with section F?  I liked the Ubuntu piece, and the recipes were pretty straightforward, esp. the dessert for one.  It's good to see some new bylines.

I'm sure a cultured gentleman like yourself appreciates the sad shape of today's youth when Mt. Pleasant Group House, rather than boasting harDCore bands in the basement and blasting DisChord on the porch, feature bands of bloggers watching bad TV. No wonder Ian McKaye never comes 'round the Raven no more. Sadly, I'm to old to move to Petworth where the next generation is selling their couch to buy their next guitar. But I'm passing the torch to Busboy junior, who already wears his first tattoo.

Someone on another board suggested that they were surprised at the quality of Sietsema's prose stylings on the Ubuntu piece -- I know you don't care for him but I have to agree, it was a good piece and nicely put together. And, made for a nice balance (for me, anyway) with the naval-gazing piece about the naval-gazers down the street from my house. Years ago we used to live in places like Mt. Pleasant to get away from those people. But, again, an interesting piece, or at least a very Washington one.

To your larger question, though -- I wonder, with everyone reading and writing 12 or 15 blogs or websites or on-line New York Times a day, has the big thrill that the slap of the newspaper on the morning steps and fresh feel of section F over coffee and toast used to bring grown a little less special?

When I leave my humble Adams Morgan basement apartment, the papers that are delivered to the building have all been scooped up, and the boxes on Columbia Rd are either empty or near empty, so someone is reading the thing on actual paper. But I know what you mean. But people still read the Post online don't they? Do they?

You are def. right about one thing-who DOESN'T have a blog-but is anyone even interested in people sitting on a couch google-chatting each other? An utterly charmless piece (couldn't be helped?). But I thought it was interesting that one of the bloggers mentioned that Bob Woodward broke Watergate, but "you are on equal footing when it comes to whether the prosciutto is good....Food is this thing where everyone is on the same page." Not really, Zippy-it helps to have some knowledge, experience, a good palate, etc. I'm all for the punk ethic of DIY, and "anyone can do it", just pick up a guitar (or a Mac); but not everyone is an Ian McKaye, and after reading their blog, they, sir, are no Ian McKaye.

Perhaps you are right that it is time for us old-timers to get out of the way of these punks and just enjoy the ride-but as that great punk George Jones once crooned, I'm not ready yet.

BTW-I liked Tom's piece on Ubuntu, as he managed to be simple and straightforward, like the restaurant itself.

BTW-I liked Tom's piece on Ubuntu, as he managed to be simple and straightforward, like the restaurant itself.

Hasn't Tom himself run into a "conflict-of-interest" lately?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Hasn't Tom himself run into a "conflict-of-interest" lately?

Weinoo-Your tagline, "Don't ask me to apologize, I won't ask you to forgive me" sums it up. I guess his judgement might have to be called into question. Not necessarily his judgement as a critic, but his ethical/personal judgement in not disclosing his prior relationship to one of the partners. His actions beg the question, how many other reviews or comments were directed at establishments where he has had undisclosed (good or bad) personal relationships with an owner/partner/chef/maitre d' ? It is perfectly normal for journalists and people they cover to have personal relationships, or even business relationships. A simple disclosure to the editor probably would have helped to avoid the mess. Or, for gods sake, you might think to yourself, "Hey, I dated the owner and it ended badly-maybe I should let someone else handle this?" But the fact that he did not disclose it-that is where questions may be asked about other people with whom he may be, or may have been, close personal friends, and chosen not to disclose that as well.

On the contrary, I think Sietsema's profile is actually growing, with on-line duties and a new weekly column in addition to his reviews, "Ask Tom," a weekly chat and so on.

I think his editors and readers have moved past -- for better or for worse -- his lapse in judgment.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

On the contrary, I think Sietsema's profile is actually growing, with on-line duties and a new weekly column in addition to his reviews, "Ask Tom," a weekly chat and so on.

I think his editors and readers have moved past -- for better or for worse -- his lapse in judgment.

Apparently he is keeping a low profile around the Post newsroom, which I think is what weinoo was referencing. And I'm not sure what evidence you have that "his editors and readers have moved past-- for better or for worse -- his lapse in judgment." I think it is quite the contrary, for both editors and readers. Perhaps they have stopped discussing it publicly, but I'm not sure that is evidence they have "moved past" it. And I'm not sure you can count the lack of posts on other food boards, where pro-Tom bias is pervasive. Maybe people are just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Reignking,Mar 2 2009, 11:49 AM-What are you all talking about?

In a nutshell, Tom Sietsema wrote a piece for the Post regarding an establishment, Commissary, where he had had a prior 'personal relationship" with one of the owners. Apparently, the 'relationship' ended badly. The piece was very negative. He never disclosed the 'relationship' to his readers or editors. One of the other owners objected, and the Post retracted the piece and 'regretted' its publication.

For the curious:

The review.

The editor's note.

For the record, I think Tom does a pretty decent job, though I rarely read his -- or anyone's -- reviews past the first couple of paragraphs these days.

Also keep in mind that Tom's 'First Bite' columns are not 'reviews' per se, but teasers that are more or less fluffy come on's for a place that has just opened or is about to open. So perhaps that is one of the other reasons that the thrashing he gave Commissary in his 'First Bite' column seemed so oddly below the belt.