• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Private Dining/Reservations Only

Shea

I saw a posting a while back about a Chef that started preparing prix fixe dinners in his home and years later he has an awesome following and a waiting list for months. Does anyone remember that? Also please offer any comments or details from experiences doing that kind of thing. I am thinking about doing that and for now it would be just for friends..maybe 4 at a time. This way "I can always cook what I want to cook! (smile) Among other reasons... Let me know your thoughts.

I saw a posting a while back about a Chef that started preparing prix fixe dinners in his home and years later he has an awesome following and a waiting list for months. Does anyone remember that? Also please offer any comments or details from experiences doing that kind of thing. I am thinking about doing that and for now it would be just for friends..maybe 4 at a time.  This way "I can always cook what I want to cook! (smile) Among other reasons... Let me know your thoughts.

Could you be thinking of eGullet member Bryan Zupon and his "Z Kitchen"?

Z Kitchen, Hypermodern Cooking in Durham, NC

And this post cited his mention in the NY Times:

Bryan Zupon (bryanz) & Z Kitchen in the NY Times

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

First thing to check is your local health ordinances. Most states demand that you have a separate kitchen to prepare food commercially.

There may be ways around this as you're anticipating such a small number of guests.

One way around it is to not charge for the meal. Instead encourage donations. "A suggested donation of $x would certainly be appreciated but is not a requirement of attendance." You can't collect if they decide not to pay but you can remove them from the mailing list for future events. Ummm... not that I would know anything about that.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.