• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

HELP! Need New Refrigerator Fast

Finally - regarding lack of storage in various units - I have at least one clue why.  I was cleaning off my shelves/drawers today - and counted how many I have.  I have a lot more in use than you get with the current model of my refrigerator (and there are some I don't even use).  You can probably get a fair amount of extra space if you buy additional drawers/shelves as needed for a new unit.

That's one of the reasons our next refrigerator will be a Liebherr: there's no shortage of shelves or racks. Even if one of them in the the 36" model will be a bit tall for me to reach...hubby can keep his special snacks up there!

The current version of my unit costs less now than I spent for mine 14 years ago (found the same when I replaced my washing machine) - even though the CPI is up almost 40% since then. 

So funny...when we bought our current refrigerator 20 years ago, it cost $500. Of course, it was a very basic model, but it's worked fine all these years. Its replacement will cost about $3,700.

- L.

Regarding the Liebherr - I took a lot at it and it looked nice. But call the firm you usually use for appliance repairs and/or the factory authorized place for the firm. And get the full story about repairs. I live in a metro area with a population of about a million - and the parts for many exotic appliances aren't usually in stock locally (or sometimes even in the United States). Nothing like waiting 2 weeks for a part when something like your refrigerator is dead.

FWIW - when we were thinking about repairing our 14 year old Maytag washer (which we concluded in the end didn't make sense) - the parts we needed were all in stock in town.

Also - if I recall correctly - none of the 36" models has a lot of interior space compared to exterior dimensions.

Finally - regarding high shelves - the funniest I saw was Thermador. It had a high top shelf with an electronic up/down button. This didn't make any sense to me at all - because if you stored things under the top shelf - and you moved the top shelf down with the up/down button - you'd crush everything underneath the top shelf. And if you didn't store anything under that high shelf - why would you need the up/down button? Just put the shelf where you want it. Robyn

• 3 months later...

We have a 4 yo KitchenAid 25 cf side by side and it has broke 4 times. Their service just gets worse and worse. I have to keep an old one around for every time this one breaks. When the warranty is over this POS will be gone.

We were limited by the fact that the space is small but I desperately wanted an ice-dispenser on the front door. We found a side-by-side Kenmore Elite that fit pretty well and had the dispenser on the freezer door. We've had no problems since we got it, at least eight years ago. The shelves and racks are sturdy, relatively easy to pull out and clean and the space is pretty well designed.

I am waiting / hoping for my not-that-old refrigerator to die. It is a bargain model, and works fine for what it is, but I don't think I bought very well when I was shopping. It it a top freezer, basic model.

I am gradually beginning to dislike it more and more. I hate reaching down to get veggies out of the crisper drawers. I don't know what possessed me not to get a bottom freezer. It happens to be rather small and as I cook more, and store more leftovers and partially used items, I am finding it increasingly constricted and annoying.

I did do one thing right. I didn't get the water / ice thingie in the doors. An ice cube maker in the freezer compartment works like a charm and the in-door gizmos waste a ton of valuable space inside the refrigerator compartment. I am baffled by the popularity of the in-door ice / water thingies.

I have begun to wander about in appliance shops. I am surprised by my tentative conclusion that the new French door refrigerators are a real practical idea and not a gimmick. The idea of a door that takes up less room as it swings open appeals to me, and that it doesn't suffer the narrow shelving of a side by side is a positive too. I remember reading not so long ago a very negative piece on French door refrigerators but I can't summon up whatever the specific complaint was.

Any thoughts here on the merits or demerits of French door style machines?

ours broke a couple years ago just as we were done with fixing a lot of things around the house. Found that there were only two models that fit the place, both "apartment size" for some reason (it's a 2000 sqft+ house). But we were in a hurry and I really wanted to get rid of the contractor. Bad choice, as I hate this tiny side by side fridge!

Nowadays I'd prefer to have just a fridge with no ice, no freezer, but nice and big. Put the freezer in the garage, it's not like I need that thing every day. A nice upright freezer out there, a nice large fridge inside, that would be ideal. I don't need a water dispenser and certainly no ice maker, can't even remember the last time I used and ice cube. Tends to dilute beer :-)

French doors I think can be nice, if you know where stuff is. Or if the door would otherwise block your kitchen door or something. Otherwise it's one more thing to open. My friends in Germany actually have a french door model that also has a little drop down door on one side, where you can get into a (enclosed on the inside) compartment for drinks, so you don't have to empty out all the cold air from your fridge when you get a beer. That's in Germany of course :-)

Cost on some of the models out there are outrageous for what's basically an insulated box with a cooling compressor, I'd try not to get distracted by the "design" element too much. A fridge will blend in and nobody will notice it. A pretty fridge that's badly laid out will tick you off for a long time though, no matter how gorgeous it might be.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

When it comes to bottom freezer refrigerators (which includes french door types), there are only three manufacturers: Whirlpool (now that they own Amana), LG and Samsung. Samsung was just coming out with newer models when I left the industry so I am not up on them, but all the rest (regardless of what the badge says) are made by LG or Whirlpool. It's usually pretty easy to tell who made what, (study an LG and Whirlpool side by side for a few minutes - the inside is usually more revealing), but there is an easy way to tell on French Door models: the Amana design uses a movable flap as part of the door seal. The LG design has no flap and relies on magnetic gaskets. So a quick look at the door will tell you who made it.

As of 2007 (for bottom freezer models):

Whirlpool/KitchenAid/Amana/Maytag - all the same company so they all use the same Amana design.

GE's were made by LG.

Kenmore had a combination of LG/Whirlpool depending on the model.

If I remember correctly the Viking was Whirplool.

For those that don't know LG, in general their appliances are very good (and known for quiet operation). LG makes 80% of the world's microwave ovens (basically if it's not a Sharp or Panasonic, it was made by LG). LG has been around for a long time, they used to be known as Goldstar (LG=Lucky Goldstar, their actual original company name). I used to run into the "I've never heard of LG." statement a lot. I would ask people to pull out their cell phone - 50% of the time it was an LG!

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My T shirt site: Guy Bling

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

• 1 month later...

We have a 3 year old 22 cu ft GE Profile bottom mount fridge that seems to be decomposing rapidly. The motherboard has gone (an approximately $500 repair) and, on top of that, the interior plastic shelf supports are breaking off - so far the deli drawer support and the whole bottom shelf. And this is in a household of two rather careful adults :angry: . Now the decision is whether or not to repair this piece of junk and, if we do replace it, what to replace it with. We need a fridge of about 32" width and really can't expand the space available for it. Any suggestions?

Kathy

Our electric utility just notified us that they will come and pick up our old refrigerator or freezer (pre-2001) for free, and they'll give us $30. That's a nice bonus for recycling, but our refer works just fine. Maybe I should lug one out of an alley somewhere!

• 3 weeks later...

For the fourth or fifth time, our less than five year old Kitchen Aid stopped keeping temperature correctly. You would think the technology that has the perfect timing to malfunction immediately prior to a large guest gathering could be applied to just having the thing work properly. It broke 6/29 and the first repair date they could accommodate me with is 7/9.

While shopping for the eventual replacement for this overprice pile of crap I became aware that Electrolux and soon Frigidaire are making bottom drawer 28 cu ft ones. While somewhat more expensive their design seems far superior. Anybody with real experience.

BTW how difficult would it be for refers to include a temp alarm? I'm sure it can't be any more expensive to install than the reminder mechanism to buy more water filters from the manufacturer. Surely temperature control is a more important safety issue than a plugged filter.

For the fourth or fifth time, our less than five year old Kitchen Aid stopped keeping temperature correctly.  You would think the technology that has the perfect timing to malfunction immediately prior to a large guest gathering could be applied to just having the thing work properly.  It broke 6/29 and the first repair date they could accommodate me with is 7/9.

While shopping for the eventual replacement for this overprice pile of crap I became aware that Electrolux and soon Frigidaire are making bottom drawer 28 cu ft ones.  While somewhat more expensive their design seems far superior.  Anybody with real experience. 

BTW how difficult would it be for refers to include a temp alarm?  I'm sure it can't be any more expensive to install than the reminder mechanism to buy more water filters from the manufacturer.  Surely temperature control is a more important safety issue than a plugged filter.

Some of the higher end refers do have temperature alarms. These are ones that also have a digital temperature readout, which means they have temperature sensor (a thermometer). The vast majority of refrigerators don't actually have a temperature sensor/thermometer. Instead you set the freezer "temperature" to an arbitrary number representing the amount of coldness (but not an actual temperature) and then you set the cool side by adjusting the amount of freezer air that gets passed into that side. It's literally a ratio of the freezer air to "fridge" side air.

Electrolux and Frigidaire are the same company. I have not been too impressed by anything of theirs. We had more repair/DOA issues with Frigidaire than any other brand.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My T shirt site: Guy Bling

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My friends in Germany actually have a french door model that also has a little drop down door on one side, where you can get into a (enclosed on the inside) compartment for drinks, so you don't have to empty out all the cold air from your fridge when you get a beer. That's in Germany of course :-)

My wife and I just bought a house, and the kitchen has an older GE Profile side-by-side fridge that has this feature. It is a cool feature. The water dispenser is on one side, the little door on the other, so if you want water, juice, or milk, you don't have to open the fridge. Which is good, because this thing is monstrously huge. It's way bigger than we need, though at least now the wife doesn't complain about the boxes and cans of film in there. And I don't really like the side-by-side. At some point we'll replace it with something smaller, but after reading this thread, I feel less inclined to rush to do so.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

BTW how difficult would it be for refers to include a temp alarm?  I'm sure it can't be any more expensive to install than the reminder mechanism to buy more water filters from the manufacturer.  Surely temperature control is a more important safety issue than a plugged filter.

Some of the higher end refers do have temperature alarms. These are ones that also have a digital temperature readout, which means they have temperature sensor (a thermometer). The vast majority of refrigerators don't actually have a temperature sensor/thermometer. Instead you set the freezer "temperature" to an arbitrary number representing the amount of coldness (but not an actual temperature) and then you set the cool side by adjusting the amount of freezer air that gets passed into that side. It's literally a ratio of the freezer air to "fridge" side air.

Electrolux and Frigidaire are the same company. I have not been too impressed by anything of theirs. We had more repair/DOA issues with Frigidaire than any other brand.

My Jenn Air has a digital temp control and a temp alarm. Thus far no test of the temp alarm--no electrical outage or anything to cause the temp to rise. More useful on a daily basis, there is a gentle chime that sounds if the door is left open for 5 minutes--which I've appreciated on those occasions when I thought I'd shut the door completely but in reality had not.

As for the discussion about brand reliability, one reason I bought the Jenn Air was that it's made by the same company as Amana, and my previous Amana fridge was quiet and trouble free.

As for the discussion about brand reliability, one reason I bought the Jenn Air was that it's made by the same company as Amana, and my previous Amana fridge was quiet and trouble free.

Whirlpool bought Amana, I hope you don't get the poor service too. I use my old Amana when the KitchenAid is broke (quite often). It just frosts me that we need to wait 10 days for service when we live within 100 miles of the original Amana factory.

They tell me to only expect 8-10 years out of the new models. I find that unacceptable so we'll probably just build a walk in and buy cheaper units for the staples.

When it comes to bottom freezer refrigerators (which includes french door types), there are only three manufacturers:  Whirlpool (now that they own Amana), LG and Samsung.  Samsung was just coming out with newer models when I left the industry so I am not up on them, but all the rest (regardless of what the badge says) are made by LG or Whirlpool.  It's usually pretty easy to tell who made what, (study an LG and Whirlpool side by side for a few minutes - the inside is usually more revealing), but there is an easy way to tell on French Door models:  the Amana design uses a movable flap as part of the door seal.  The LG design has no flap and relies on magnetic gaskets.  So a quick look at the door will tell you who made it.

I would add one thing to your post, when I left the industry last August a few manufacturers besides Whirlpool were making their bottom mount french doors with the moveable flap. Samsung and GE had models with the moveable flap, although usually it was on the right hand door vs. the Whirlpool (Maytag, Amana, Kitchen Aid, Jenn Air) which was on the left hand door. A big problem with LGs magnetic seal was that the plastic clips that hold the door can break off. Sometimes on floor models you will see that the clips are broken. Kenmore bottom mount french door refrigerators were either Whirlpool or LG and you can tell which via the moveable flap.

Here is a link to who makes what: http://www.appliance411.com/parts/make.shtml

Twitter: Audiofan2

www.sacramentocook.com