• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

shipping frozen food

devlin

I'd like to ship some frozen breads and am wondering what the best method is so the stuff's still frozen when it reaches its destination.

I'm assuming the best way would be to use dry ice and wrap the breads in insulated foil, but I don't have a clue how to do it, don't even know whether that's the best method, or whether another method might work that I just haven't heard about.

Anybody have any experience in this regard?

Your shipper might be sending it in a reefer, so that it just stays frozen. We ship bread to a customer which expects it will arrive frozen, since there's a few days lag in our delivering it and it arriving at the destination. We clearly mark the boxes Perishable Keep Frozen. They go into the freezer at the freight forwarders, then they go from reefer to reefer to the destination.

Depending on how much you want to spend and how important the shipment is you can use a liquid nitrogen dry shipper. It has some material in it which absorbs the liquid nitrogen and keeps everything cold. Lots of medical labs use them to transport specimens.

see: http://research.amnh.org/amcc/labfacilities5.html

Professional Scientist (in training)

Amateur Cook

Depending on how much you want to spend and how important the shipment is you can use a liquid nitrogen dry shipper. It has some material in it which absorbs the liquid nitrogen and keeps everything cold. Lots of medical labs use them to transport specimens.

see: http://research.amnh.org/amcc/labfacilities5.html

Liquid Nitorgen is very hazardous, i suspect there is a HAZMAT fee involved?

Where and how is your bread going. This is winter in the US and frozen bread should survive overnight shipping.-Dick