• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pumpkin roll presentation

gfron1

I had never made one of these things before - you know, the recipe on the can of pumpkin for rolled pumpkin cake filled with cream cheese stuff. So I doctored it up a bit for a customer and now its so boring looking that I'm embarrassed to deliver it. Has anyone done anything fun with these before?

I take it you are delivering the roll whole, not sliced? Could you go all "yule log" on it? (in white, I suppose... snow-covered yule log?) I've got a book by Bo Friberg with a photo of a yule log that he has done that is a little over-the-top: mushrooms growing out of it, etc., but that at least might give you something to play around with.

ETA: The Friberg book is The Advanced Professional Pastry Chef. Unfortunately Amazon.com does not have the page with the photo on it in their "search inside" feature. It's cheesy as hell, always makes me laugh.

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I had never made one of these things before - you know, the recipe on the can of pumpkin for rolled pumpkin cake filled with cream cheese stuff.  So I doctored it up a bit for a customer and now its so boring looking that I'm embarrassed to deliver it.  Has anyone done anything fun with these before?

I'd go with something on the lines of what Chris mentioned above, but more like what dystopiandreamgirl does with her cakes. some chocolate leaves a light dusting of powdered sugar, that kind of thing.

I have this on the holiday menu; I usually have handmade marzipan maple leaves that I use as a garnish on it, and some acorns or pinecones made from chocolate fondant. I'm not sure if acorns or pinecones will work as well in New Mexico as they do here in New England.... so, maybe a cactus flower?

Thanks guys. I looked online at pics in google and everyone just dusts with powdered sugar. I don't really want to do the whole yule log thing because I'm going to start making the real deals next weekend. But I could do the leaves. Maybe a combo of leaves and a bit of dusting would be appropo.

Are you using nuts? I always sprinkle a layer of chopped nuts on the pan before pouring on the batter. Then, I dust the towl I use for the rolling with confectioners sugar and dust with more later, if needed. The combination of nuts and sugar is attractive.

I did use nuts...you know this is just not my type of dessert.  I'll have to trim the edges so I can have some and find out why she wanted it.

It's probably a nostalgia thing... I don't really love it, either. But, sometimes I make it because my mother always made it at Christmas. My mother wasn't much of a cook, but she had a few favorite recipes she prepared with loving care. The pumpkin cake roll was one. So, sometimes I make it because it makes me feel closer to her. Your client may have similar feelings/memories.

Now, if I could just find the long lost White Christmas Pudding recipe! :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
Sometimes, simple is best.  Especially where I live.  I sold these, each one was wrapped in cellophane and pretty ribbon.

. . . 

Those look lovely, Randi.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog