• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kid-Friendly Salad Ideas

CDRFloppingham

We were just invited to a block party (we just moved yesterday).

Here are the criteria:

The neighborhood has quite a few kids (pretty young too).

Heat tolerant (it will be outside and pushing 90 degrees).

Must be a salad.

I hope it will be tasty.

Any and all suggestions happily considered!

TIA.

The kids I am around universally approve of Chinese chicken salad preps. Considering the heat use iceberg or finely sliced cabbage. Include cucumbers for crunch and don;t skimp on the crunchy bits (fried chow mein noodles or won ton skins). I think the slight sweet/tart combo appeals along with the crunch. Maybe nestle the bowl in a larger bowl of crushed ice.

Carrot apple raisin maybe... its sweet and sturdy

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

"Tree Salad" was eaten with tiny hands by my daughter and her three-year-old friends, not because they didn't have forks but because they loved it so much. It's a simple broccoli salad, but the kids thought that the small florets looked like trees, and they named it.

Cook broccoli until it's done (not hard in the middle, but not mushy.) Let cool and refresh in a bowl of cold water. Slice the stems into thin disks, and separate the florets into their smallest parts. Add grated carrots and sliced green onion.

The dressing is (non olive) oil, rice vinegar and a couple of drops of sesame oil. A few gratings of ginger is optional but excellent.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Another really "stupid" but quite smart idea is a big plate of carrots (quartered adn cut in half .. or however you like) with some sort of dipping sauce in the middle.

It is usually the first thing to go. I mean who can resist a simple, clean raw colorful piece of carrot?

A lot of times we also do the fruit kebab thing which is great because it requires no fork, spoon, plate ....