• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Dining Room at Anthony David's

Rosie

Appetizers were sublime. Do not miss the mussels with orange, cream, pernod and fennel. These ingredients work and I especially enjoyed dipping the mussel shells into the broth for an extra tasty treat.

Watch the ice :unsure: Tell me you're not on the Atkins diet. :shock:

If the sauce is good, DIP BREAD!!!!

• 6 months later...

We were so thrilled to attend a luncheon today at The Beard House, NYC where Chef Anthony Pino from The Dining Room at Anthony David’s was cooking.

Started off with beef tartare with truffles, shaved parmesan and micro greens; petite crabcakes with lemon-caperberry aioli; roasted butternut squash soup with gingersnap croutons; Hudson Valley foie gras with roasted cipollini and merlot soaked cherries; and taleggio and slow roasted tomato in pastry.

Luncheon dishes were warm ricotta tart with Tupelo honeycomb, mission figs, organic greens and cabernet vinaigrette; Maine lobster with chanterelles, sweet corn, and thyme and potato gnocchi; cacciatorino and asiago stuffed Niman Ranch pork tenderloin with wilted arugula and demi-glace; and Chef Pino’s famous homemade bourbon glazed donuts for dessert. Wines were served with each course.

It was a scrumptious day for us and of course we didn’t eat dinner tonight. Congratulations to a very talented chef. :wub:

gallery_8_169_1096741280.jpg

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 1 year later...

My wife and I were there in September for our anniversary.

The food was very good and well-presented, the server was a bit over eager and intrusive and the AC was broken - we were in the back room which gets pretty hot. We also brought along not quite the right wine - a risk with BYO - I should have called ahead to get the menu sent.

A good dining experience but not did not enjoy it as much as a few years ago. Again, this is probably unduly colored by the lack of available tables outside and AC inside and my poor wine choice.

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

Not one appetizer or entrée plate had a morsel left on it when we dined at The Dining Room at Anthony David’s last night. The restaurant is such a pleasant milieu to dine at. I love the ambiance, food and attentive service. If you haven’t been here put this exceptional eatery on your “must try” list.

We started with tender grilled octopus with cannellini beans, basil, tomatoes and garlic; a warm potato tart with prosciutto, caramelized onions and micro greens; romaine salad with shaved parmesan and Caesar vinaigrette and veal bolognese with porcini mushroom, fresh herbs, arugula and tagliatelle. The kitchen knew we were splitting the appetizers and served the pasta in five dishes without being asked and also divided the potato tart.

Entrees were wonderful and included Maine lobster, chanterelles, sweet corn and potato gnocchi; crispy duck breast with scallion polenta, wilted arugula and a cherry demi-glace which my sister-in-law proclaimed was the best she has ever had; seared sea scallops with addictive creamed corn, oranges and micro arugula; grilled prawn with over dried tomatoes and artichoke risotto; and Black Angus sirloin with wilted arugula, pecorino mashed potatoes and crispy cippolinis. The steak was a very pleasant surprise as it was exceeding tender with a rich taste. I didn’t expect to have such a good piece of meat in an Italian restaurant. I really shouldn’t have been surprised though as Chef/owner Anthony Pino does everything with such finesse and sends nothing out from the kitchen that is not perfect.

Desserts included homemade bourbon glazed donuts; chocolate, cinnamon and pistachio gelatos; grilled figs with Gorgonzola, Tupelo honey and vanilla gelato; and chocolate ganache cake. And what also made the evening was that we found a parking spot one half block from the restaurant. For reservations call 201-222-8359.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We also dined at Anthony David's on Saturday night. Loved the atmosphere there. We had a lovely table in the front room in the corner which was very nice. The wait staff were professional and attentive. We started with the cured meats and the pear walnut salad. The salad was delicious and it was a very generous portion. While the meats (prosciutto, two kinds of sopresatta, coppacolla (sp?) and very good provolone were delicious, if you weren't sharing the appetizers, that would not have been enough for one person (especially a guy). The sesame Italian bread was very good.

for dinner, my husband had the pork tenderloin (again, delicious, but not much there). I had the veal bolognese pasta which was very good (you could really taste the fresh oregano) & more than enough for me.

i have to say we were disappointed in the bourbon glazed doughnuts. i had read so much about them (here & on other sites) that i was really looking forward to something outstanding. the bourbon doughnuts lacked any significant flavor and the little cinnamon doughnuts that were served alongside were tasty, but not great. unfortunately, i compare all "made to order" doughnuts to the warm zeppole swirled in cinnamon sugar at Primo (in Orlando & Rockland, ME). These are what made to order doughnuts are all about! the cappuccino & espresso at Anthony David's were very good.

www.cookstour.netMy Blog