• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Dining Room at Anthony David's

Rosie

Hi Kim

I fully respect your wanting a liquor license with business clients and I agree with you. Allows for much more flexibility

One thing though, from a totally committed wine freak.

If your main business contact is a fellow wine geek, make a reservation at a nice BYO like Cafe Matisse or Anthony David's and bring along a couple of aged first growth Bordeaux.

I guarantee (well almost :biggrin: ) that you will close the deal in your favor.

It has worked for me several times, most recently with a big foreign client.

Tom

Tom

Tom D

If your main business contact is a fellow wine geek, make a reservation at a nice BYO like Cafe Matisse or Anthony David's and bring along a couple of aged first growth Bordeaux.

Alas, many of these people are elected officials, whom I have little opportunity for getting to know to that level..and almost always in groups of 6 or larger. Usually, BYO's are smaller, so they are almost always excluded based on their ability to handle a larger group...I can imagine, however, that a fellow wine loving client could be suitably impressed with the right selections!!

Certainly, DR@ AD's sounds like a place I should keep in mind instead of Amanda's all the time..or that Italian place with the roof garden. Or Frankie and Johnnie's, the choice of my meat craving husband! Thanks, Tom, Rosie and Tommy for the reccomendation.

Alas Rosie, I disagree. F & J is a sparkling place for a business meeting. Where I feel Amanda's has more of a romantic feel to it. I dined there with friends on a hunch about 18 months ago. Enjoyed F & J more. Could have been my moods.

Lou

Alas Rosie, I disagree. F & J is a sparkling place for a business meeting.

let's just agree that it depends on what kind of meeting it is. as an example, if it's a pre-knicks game dinner out with the boys, then i see no problem with F&J and a big problem with Amanda's. if it's pre-fashion show at bryant park with the girls, head over to amanda's and stay away from F&J.

clear?

good.

:wacko:

I really enjoyed the steaks at Frankie and Johnnies but we were there on a Sat. night and could hardly hear each other talk. The place was also smokey. I would go there on a Sunday at 5 PM but never on a Sat. night.

Frankie and Johnny's is a great place for business, which transpires during the week, not weekends. It's also a Hudson Cty "seen and be seen" place, which sometimes fits the bill.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a prix fixe menu which is referred to as a tasting menu... $59 I think. Not bad considering it was 4 or 5 courses.

We were there last night and I'll get on the bandwagon and state unequivocally this has to be the best spot in Hoboken and probably Hudson County. I ditto everything Rosie said - from the knowledgeable and attentive service, excellent rabbit (my first time - i had the appetizer but they also have a rabbit entree), to the coziness and preference to the grocery part of the restaurant - it's lots more roomier than what appeared to be the cramped dining room, though the 20ish couple bitched about being seated there, though maybe they were bitching about sitting next to us old fogies. Or maybe they were bitching that we had 4 bottles of wine for 4 people and they had none. Nyuk nyuk. [we only drank 3.5 bottles]. The menu is imaginative and inspiring and I'm kicking myself for not thinking to make reservations for the near future. We all shared the donuts for dessert (waiter's recommendation). You ain't tasted donuts until you've tried these. Krispy Kreme not. I thought the prices reasonable and probably no more expensive than Amanda's. The bill was about $200 for 4 for everything, which included a very nice tip.

The only downers were the $20 for parking and it was a bit chilly inside --- they need to get 2nd door or something.

So HAPPY to hear that you enjoyed your dinner at The Dining Room at Anthony David's. The restaurant is one of my favorites. We parked once for $10 at the lot on Frank Sinatra Drive. There is parking on the street there also.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

That's where we parked. It's $20 on weekends. Maybe we oughta have stopped off at Amanda's for a drink to get our parking validated. Besides, we needed more alcohol to keep up with the HOboken denizens.

That's where we parked.  It's $20 on weekends.  Maybe we oughta have stopped off at Amanda's for a drink to get our parking validated.  Besides, we needed more alcohol to keep up with the HOboken denizens.

We parked there on a Sat. night and it was $10. You probably looked like you could afford $20! :biggrin:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Gee--I had my testarosa that night.

testarosa?

I thought that stuff was bad for chicks. You should know better than to do that stuff, Rosie....

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

A fancy shmansy restaurant in Hoboken--whooptie dooptie. Give me the days when the best place to eat in town was the Clam Broth House, with clams from the unpolluted Shrewsbury River, Ruppert Beer chilled over ice and clamshells on the floor with the sawdust. If that makes me a nostalgic old fart, so be it.

The Clam Broth House is for tourists, as is 99% of Hoboken.  And is Augustino's that crummy place under the viaduct that has horrible service? 

-ornery glenn on a monday

no, glenn. augustino's is on washington at 11th. family run with pleasant service. now go back to bed and don't get out until you're in a reasonable mood. :angry:

the current Clam Broth House, as i suppose you all know, bears little resemblance to the old hoboken institution. i don't even know if they serve clams. but, ranitidine suggested, it used to be something special...or so i'm told.

speaking of institution, someone is building a big hotel in hoboken.

Just to add on the hotel comment as i've followed the development fairly closely....

A 165 foot hotel will begin to get built in Hoboken, on the waterfront, between 2nd and 3rd Streets. I believe it will be a Starwood Property, with the city requesting that it be a "W Hotel", but no promises as of yet that this will be the selected brand.

There was A LOT of controversy surronding this building... everything from the size of the building to what sort of company should occupy it. Many in the public fought the project, but the city claimed that their hands were tied as per an agreement that was made by a prior administration.

I have no objections to a hotel being built in Hoboken, but IMHO fail to see who would want to stay in Hoboken, unless it offered much cheaper rates than Manhattan (and judging by the rates at the new Hyatt in Jersey City, i doubt it will be much cheaper than NYC rates).

that hotel in weehawken seems to be doing very well. i can see even less of a reason why people would want to stay there!

but seriously, aren't a lot of office buildings moving into hoboken? if that's the case, there might be a need for a hotel on that level. also, i wouldn't be surprised if it takes business away from hotels in JC, weehawken, and even newark.

my parents stayed at the weehawken hotel when i lived in hoboken. so i'm assuming that others might share that same need occasionally. additionally, family of Stevens Tech students stay in nearby hotels. obviously a hotel 4 blocks away would be super-convenient.

food.

Yes, Stevens would probably be ecstatic to have a hotel in town, although I don't see that they'd supply enough customers, and I don't know exactly who else would stay there. I suppose if the prices are significantly less then NYC hotels, maybe. I hope they're building a parking lot for this thing!

Allura

-who was just up on campus and hadn't realized how bad parking got (disclosure: Stevens Alumnus :biggrin: )

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

no, stevens couldn't supply enough customers on their own. i was just typing some things that popped into my head.

i'm pretty sure that the ferry service in hoboken is going to be expanded at some point. having a downtown hoboken ferry to midtown would be nice. although as i type that i think they may have added that already. at any rate, it's a good commute, and sometimes companies in NYC do put people up in NJ hotels to save a buck or 2. the definitely applies to certain types who might be on extended stays in the area.

i just read that stevens had to stop construction on the new management school/parking lot building. i guess i mean to say that they're hopefullly doing something about parking (the 6th street lot is closed due to construction, which is no doubt not helping the parking situation there)

Edited by tommy (log)

There's been a steady increase in small investment banking firms migrating to Hoboken over the past few years. Several are in the building adjacent to the southernmost parking garage on 2nd street, and one of our clients is in the big office building opposite the train station.

At the 14th street end of Hoboken, employers like Paine Webber (big blue building) put a lot of people within a four block range of those restaurants.

Not growth like Jersey City, of course, but a NY tax increase will drive a few more over. Figure a max tax of 10% or so (2.45% city plus 7% state) in NY compared to 6%, add in the additional transit cost, and NJ becomes even more of a bargain.

Nothing works like lawyers and investment managers to spur the growth of good restaurants, not even publishers back in the old days.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo