• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grilled lime juice

Tiare

Is there anyone here who can explain how to make grilled lime juice? its an ingredient in the $51 margarita the Vault and i`m curious about how to make it..not The vault but the grilled lime juice! and from that maybe a grilled lime syrup could be made..

www.amountainofcrushedice.com

Tiki drinks are deceptive..if you think you can gulp them down like milk you´re wrong.

This sounds like a colossal pain in the ass for little return. Wanna bet there's a few dashes of Liquid Smoke in the fresh lime juice?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

For the coffers of the restaurant, no. For the poor prep chimp that's squeezing the grilled limes, perhaps not.

I just Googled this and found that the drink is made with Herradura Suprema tequila, the grilled lime juice and agave syrup. I wouldn't drink a shot of tequila from a $400 bottle mixed with anything. That's ludicrous and a waste of fine tequila. Neat and in an expensive snifter is the way to go. And putting agave nectar into it is akin to putting a squeeze of honey into your best single malt. It's just silly. But some fool will undoubtedly pay for it. I hope they enjoy it, but they really won't get what the tequila tastes like. And at those prices they ought to.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

The prep chimp could be chopping a carton of cabbage or shelling a case of shrimps -- what's the difference? Squeezing a lime takes ten seconds.

I don't much care about a $51 cocktail -- there are plenty of great drinks at a third the price or less, and I haven't made my way through those yet. But the grilled lime -- as Katie has made clear -- is the least of the expense.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

...In my opinion, mixing up a drink with $400/bottle tequila is much like making Sangria with a bottle of 1982 Petrus....

Exactly!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Grilled limes are much easier to squeeze than regular limes since they're warmer. In my opinion, mixing up a drink with $400/bottle tequila is much like making Sangria with a bottle of 1982 Petrus.

I agree as well. But we are going to have to accept that there is a segment of the "wealthy" class that is always going to order things because they are expensive, not for the enjoyment or appreciation of them. It is a shame to waste wonderful, and rare, things on people for whom the value is only the thrill of posession, not a deep respect for the of the product.

And I agree that one does not get the pure flavor of a product once something else is added, but is that a bad thing. What if you want to know what that really expensive scotch tastes like with some honey made from flowers that bloomed on the hills of Scotland? There is something to be said for the out come of two great products combined in a thoughtful way.

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Is there anyone here who can explain how to make grilled lime juice?  its an ingredient in the $51 margarita the Vault and i`m curious about how to make it..not The vault but the grilled lime juice! and from that maybe a grilled lime syrup could be made..

while I can not even imagine ever paying that much for a drink and do love a good tequila neat

that is not really what you asked so I can answer your question about the lime juice ...

slice a lime in half grill until there are grill marks on each side and use a lime press to get the juice out ..this is a very good juice and should not be underestimated!

lots of juice comes form a good lime when you grill it so a few limes go a long way

I have only used it in a fantastic version of mojito myself ..or for marinades, sauces ..not for a margarita ...

hope this helps

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

slice a lime in half grill until there are grill marks on each side and use a lime press to get the juice out ..this is a very good juice and should not be underestimated!

Not sure I understand the instructions here. So I cut a lime in half. This gives two halves. I grill both the cut side and the skin side?

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Thank you hummingbirdkiss, its what i was figuring but i wanted to hear some opinions.

Quote: I have only used it in a fantastic version of mojito myself ..or for marinades, sauces.

Its something like that i`m after..but i also is thinking on a syrup..i think i got to experiment.

TAPrice: You only grill the cut side.

Tiki drinks are deceptive..if you think you can gulp them down like milk you´re wrong.

I cut the lime in half and grill both sides so the flavor gets into the juice ..it would make a great syrup when I mix the drinks I use fine sugar

I also use oranges lemons and grapefruits for drinks grilled

ETA I also let them cool before squeezing (I have had them squirt into my eye because they they are hot the juice rockets out so be warned!!!) and use the kind of press you find in Hispanic markets they are like $2 and work like a dream to get all the flavor out

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

Sounds really yummy..

I made 2 mojitos tonight with HC anejo blanco. One with fresh lime juice and one with grilled and the grilled one was more deep and a bit smoky tasting. Nice!

Any good drink ideas for the grilled grapefruit, red and white?

Sounds really yummy..

I made 2 mojitos tonight with HC anejo blanco. One with fresh lime juice and one with grilled and the grilled one was more deep and a bit smoky tasting. Nice!

Any good drink ideas for the grilled grapefruit, red and white?

I like a decent vodka with grilled pink grapefruit juice or orange juice :smile:

that is the best way to put it smokey and deeper flavored ...we started this with my sister in Florida with an "I wonder what would happen if we stuck these limes on the grill and then made some mojitos" the rest was history ...I like the taste of the citrus that way ...

OT chicken/fish/pork with any of the grilled citrus

Piglet 

At home for grilling indoors i can only use a grill pan on top of the stove..but it did the work just fine. I cannot compare to a charcoal grill but thats usually what i prefer for grilling.

I like a decent vodka with grilled pink grapefruit juice or orange juice  :smile:

that is the best way to put it smokey and deeper flavored ...

What about an aged white rum? like Appleton white? i`m not really a vodka fan..but a rum person..

I can also think a agricole blanc or vieux would be very nice with this made in a Ti punch style.

I like a decent vodka with grilled pink grapefruit juice or orange juice   :smile:

that is the best way to put it smokey and deeper flavored ...

What about an aged white rum? like Appleton white? i`m not really a vodka fan..but a rum person..

I can also think a agricole blanc or vieux would be very nice with this made in a Ti punch style.

yes absolutely I love white rum! I was just thinking about making fruity rum drinks with grilled pineapple but I am at work and I think they would object!!!

Piglet 

Grilled limes are much easier to squeeze than regular limes since they're warmer. In my opinion, mixing up a drink with $400/bottle tequila is much like making Sangria with a bottle of 1982 Petrus.

And I agree that one does not get the pure flavor of a product once something else is added, but is that a bad thing. What if you want to know what that really expensive scotch tastes like with some honey made from flowers that bloomed on the hills of Scotland? There is something to be said for the out come of two great products combined in a thoughtful way.

Toby

Excellent point! I guess it's all in what you are looking for! Though some may consider my attitude snobbish, I am a purist, and I think that it is important to take the most straight-forward approach when tasting high quality liqueurs and spirits. Then again I do use some great tawny to make my eggnog! :unsure::biggrin:

Oh, and also, someone mentioned Liquid Smoke a few posts above...that stuff should be made illegal.

Anybody know if a gas grill (ie the one in a restaraunt kitchen) will work, or does it need a wood/charcoal fire?

Gas grills tend to be hotter than charcoal, since usually one cooks with the ambers from the fire produced by the coal. This will provide faster caramelization, though If you're looking for a smoky flavour, you need the real deal.

I am a purist, and I think that it is important to take the most straight-forward approach when tasting high quality liqueurs and spirits. Then again I do use some great tawny to make my eggnog!  :unsure:  :biggrin:

I agree to that but i also think that high quality spirits make high quality cocktails, provided that they are well crafted with good ingredients..

I`m a tikidrink lover and i want to use good quality ingredients in them.

I have no idea what they do for the drink but I was smoking some tomatoes recently and still had some really good smoke going when I took them out so I cut some oranges in half and tossed them in for a bit just out of curiosity. After I took them out, I sealed them in ziplock and tossed them in the cooler for the night. The next day I collected the juice and zest from them. We were discussing it in the pastry forum a week or so ago. I wound up making a marmalade with the zest and a sliceable orange curd with the juice then did a plated dessert using both and a few other components. The smoke definitely makes it's presence known but it's not overwhelming. I never thought of doing a cocktail with it, now I wish I had.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.