• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ultimate Recipe Showdown

Doodad

I read somewhere that the chick who won the cookie challenge, is a cookie expert who's written several cookbooks about them which you can buy on Amazon. Apparently, some fans (I know..strange indeed) of the show were pretty pissed off about it.

Bottom line..this show fits right in with what the Food Network has become the past several years, a bunch of entertainment mishmash, with the focus being more on the host(s) and the crappy food he/she/they prepare(s) playing second banana. OK, maybe that's a good thing :raz: . Personally, I can barely stomach it, and get my cooking show 'fix' on PBS and local access channels.

Having said all that..Guy FieTTTTTi (what's up with the faux 'italian' accent?) and RR need to be sent somewhere FAR, FAR, FAR away, where TV cameras are rare or not in existance (wishful thinking).

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

My new Blog: Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives

"I feel the end approaching. Quick, bring me my dessert, coffee and liqueur."

Anthelme Brillat-Savarin's great aunt Pierette (1755-1826)

~Lisa~

I was glad to see that FTV got the hint and took it out of the Sun night line up. I imagine Iron Chef was being harmed; I know I was falling asleep with a 10 oclock start.

...Having said all that..Guy FieTTTTTi (what's up with the faux 'italian' accent?)...

I'm glad I am not the only one who has a problem with Guy's accent. It sounds like he has difficulty properly pronouncing his own last name. :wacko:

Lucky me; I have avoided this train wreck of a show. I haven't watched FN for months (Next Iron Chef was the last program in which I had any interest), just occasionally get a glimpse while channel surfing.

I still don't know what you guys are talking about, the dialogue between Marc and Guy is ENTHRALLING!

Guy: Hey Summers, I could be wrong but from looking at what's going on down there......it looks like she's making a SAUCE!

Marc: That's right Guy, and what some people might NOT know is that a sauce is generally made from some sort of warm liquid that has spices or food suspended in it. Sometimes both!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I still don't know what you guys are talking about, the dialogue between Marc and Guy is ENTHRALLING!

Guy:  Hey Summers, I could be wrong but from looking at what's going on down there......it looks like she's making a SAUCE!

Marc: That's right Guy, and what some people might NOT know is that a sauce is generally made from some sort of warm liquid that has spices or food suspended in it. Sometimes both!

He he. That made my afternoon. I just spewed diet coke.

Since I also catch an occasional glimpse when there's nothing on and I'm channel surfing, not to mention I wanted to check it out, and see if it was 'for real', as in...decent chefs maybe? GOOD home cooks? Interesting and innovative creations? Nada, NO, nayet.

There was one funny by Marc Summers, that actually made me chuckle..until FieTTTTi ruined it with one of his stupid comebacks. They were watching this chick press peanuts into the side of her cake, her hands were a mess of chocolate frosting and peanuts, so stupid FieTTTi said..

"Man, I would love to get my hands on that right now!"

Marc..knowing everyone is fully aware of his list of OCD's, mumbled..as he shifted uncomfortably..

"Man, I would love to wash her hands right now"

Then dumbass had to come back with something to the effect of..

*Overly exaggerated laugh, as his belly shimmied under his ghastly bowling shirt* Funny..but I would love those peanuts with a pint of ale."

Yes, Guy, we know you want men to think you're really cool. Just.Shut.Up.Idiot. You can't cook and you're irritating! You should thank your lucky stars that the Food Network stopped caring about food!

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

~Lisa~

Let me see I can watch Guy and Marc comment on a Chocolate Chip Cooking battle or do a load of laundry?

Do the laundry, and then go get a root canal. Both trump those two numbskulls and the show itself.

Any bets on how long this show lasts..oh wait, the Food Network is now primarily geared toward soccer moms who want to learn how to make a meal that's under $40.00 in less than 30 minutes! (Not that there's anything wrong with that, but chefs and gourmands get zilch).

~Lisa~

I hate to say this, but this show is beginning to take on a morbid attractiveness for me, kind of like watching Sandra Lee aka Semi-Ho. Some of the recipes look great (like the Peruvian chicken with two sauces and fried yucca, one of my favorite things) but other stuff either looks godawful or way too upscale for TGIF, like one winner's cardamom-rose water cookies. I just can't see that restaurant chain making a cookie like that or even knowing what cardamom and rose water are.

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I hate to say this, but this show is beginning to take on a morbid attractiveness for me, kind of like watching Sandra Lee aka Semi-Ho. Some of the recipes look great (like the Peruvian chicken with two sauces and fried yucca, one of my favorite things) but other stuff either looks godawful or way too upscale for TGIF, like one winner's cardamom-rose water cookies. I just can't see that restaurant chain making a cookie like that or even knowing what cardamom and rose water are.

I understand..it's like passing a car wreck, you can't look away even though you want to. I once channel surfed onto a Sandra Lee episode, and couldn't stop watching, as she was preparing something ghastly (I think it was frozen meatballs in orange marmalade, in a crockpot). I can't ever watch it again because of the hideous premature wrinkles I'll develop if I ever spend another half hour with my face twisted into such a contorted grimace of disgust

~Lisa~

I think that this whole show is an advertising scam for TGIF.  You can produce that show for very little.  Probably less than a real commercial.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

I don't mind seeing people eat. I'm not exactly princess sized myself, so a princess bite seems silly. However, I cannot bear to watch that TGI Friday's commercial with Guy in it hawking the foods on the menu from this train wreck. He's in Fridays and his arm is hitting the table and all I can think is, does he ever wash that arm thing?

There's something about it that makes me never want to darken a TGI Friday's door again. Not that we go there, much. I'd only consider it with the kids and there is not much to induce me to take all four to a restaurant without duct tape. Seeing that duct taping them to the chair is not legal here...you see my point.

Love my kids, know their limitations.

This show is such a disappointment. Yes, I've watched more of it. I was sick last Sunday and was desperate for something food related on TV.

Blog.liedel.org