• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keeping tabs on Heritage Foods

Chris Hennes

In the spirit of the other "Keeping tabs on..." threads here, this thread is for discussing new finds at Heritage Foods (www.heritagefoodsusa.com). They primarily sell meat products, in particular a large selection of breed-specific pork products. I have ordered from them on a number of occasions and been pleased with the meat (though not always thrilled at the price!).

I have previously posted about the availability of some offal.

In this week's newsletter they are offering something a bit different: pancetta and agrumi from Salumi, in Seattle. According to the newsletter,

To celebrate the end of the Year of the Pig, which will not come around again for another twelve years, we are proud to offer a taste of the most meticulously hand-crafted pancetta and agrumi brought to us from the Batali family in Seattle, Washington.

Salumi’s pancetta and agrumi is normally available only to chefs, restaurants and walk-in customers which is why we are so excited to feature this today.

While this is not quite true (the Salumi website indicates the possibility of placing an order via e-mail), the price is comparable to buying direct. That is to say, the prices are a little steep! Also, you have to buy it as a packaged deal. Nevertheless, for those of us living a long, long way from Seattle, this may be the easiest way to try what some claim is the best artisinally-produced charcuterie in the US.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I thought last week's selection was different for HF: this week is even stranger.

We are pleased to announce this week a selection of tropical ingredients from the Caribbean, the only of its kind available in the States.
And by tropical ingredients, they mean
Each order includes a dynamite jerk sauce, native spices, two chocolate sticks made from 100% Jamaican cacao, mace, nutmeg, an all natural energy drink, and a handy micro-grater all packed in a hand-woven seagrass basket.
Say what? Next week they promise Boer goat: maybe that will make up for this week's decidedly lackluster special... (IMHO)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 3 weeks later...

This week from Heritage Foods comes a breed of cattle from Japan that I have never heard of. From the newsletter:

Akaushi Beef

*Pure-bred Akaushi is a national treasure in Japan.

*Japan Association of Akaushi registers all data related to the breed and traces the genetics of the herd we are selling back forty generations.

*These cattle are so delicious that they are the only breeds allowed to graze freely in Japan where property is not easy to come by. They roam the sacred mountain of Aso where they are protected by the Japanese government.

*The high percentage of intramuscular fat produce marbling unlike any seen in other beef.

*Akaushi beef has been proven to have a lower level of cholesterol than fish.

*While “Wagyu” simply means “Cow”, “Akaushi Wagyu” means “Red Cow.”

So, apparently it compares to the Waygu we are more familiar with, and certainly the prices seem in line with that! Anyone familiar with this breed? Tasted them?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

This week from Heritage Foods comes a breed of cattle from Japan that I have never heard of. From the newsletter:
Akaushi Beef

*Pure-bred Akaushi is a national treasure in Japan.

*Japan Association of Akaushi registers all data related to the breed and traces the genetics of the herd we are selling back forty generations.

*These cattle are so delicious that they are the only breeds allowed to graze freely in Japan where property is not easy to come by. They roam the sacred mountain of Aso where they are protected by the Japanese government.

*The high percentage of intramuscular fat produce marbling unlike any seen in other beef.

*Akaushi beef has been proven to have a lower level of cholesterol than fish.

*While “Wagyu” simply means “Cow”, “Akaushi Wagyu” means “Red Cow.”

So, apparently it compares to the Waygu we are more familiar with, and certainly the prices seem in line with that! Anyone familiar with this breed? Tasted them?

Chris,

Tony's in Houston is carrying Akaushi.

Here's the link to the dinner itself.

I, being me (something I'm just going to have to learn to deal with), screwed up on two counts.

The first was major. I forgot the camera.

The second was minor. If I'd been thinking, I would've ordered this as a tartare. But, as it tasted really good as a steak, I'd say was only minor.

(Really, I screwed up a third time by not managing another dinner at Tony's).

Now, isn't wagyu the generic term in use for that specific Japanese grade of beef? When they refer to akaushi, they're refering to the specific bloodline/breed, I thought?

As I understand it, this breed is now raised in Texas, and the papers are all in order (and certified through the Japanese authorities). This places wagyu in production in Texas, Alberta, and Australia (sorry, I don't know which state). I've had the Australian, and it was excellent. Like eating butter....or horse.

I've still got to try the Albertan.

Peter

P.S. - Are you still thinking about living in Oklahoma City, a slave to Fedex?

Now, isn't wagyu the generic term in use for that specific Japanese grade of beef?  When they refer to akaushi, they're refering to the specific bloodline/breed, I thought?

That is my understanding as well, but I'm not expert on the matter. I loved the Wagyu I had the one time I had the opportunity, but it ended up overshadowed in memory by the scallops of an earlier course.

P.S. - Are you still thinking about living in Oklahoma City, a slave to Fedex?

My wife's job interview is Friday, so we'll see how that goes...

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

http://heartbrandbeef.com/shop/

This is probably where Heritage Foods is sourcing it from.  They have a wider selection than I saw on the Heritage Foods site, but that could change.  I've ordered it once before and thought it was good but not great.  Heartbrand does  have very reasonable shipping rates though, so I'll probably end up trying it again.

It looks like the Heritage Foods price is the same, and HF has free shipping (or rather, it's rolled into the price...). But of course, HF only sells the ribeye and strip loin. Thanks for the heads-up on Heartbrand, I'll have to add them to my online meat sources spreadsheet.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Must be getting on spring around here: this week HF is advertising Boer goat from five farms in Maine that are part of the "Thyme for Goat Consortium", fresh Tunis Lamb from Sandstone Ridge Farm in La Farge, Wisconsin, and fresh and frozen Romney Lamb from Cattail Creek Farm in Junction City, Oregon. They advertise it as a "half lamb" or "half goat," by which they mean one rib roast, one shoulder, one leg, plus some additional meat (no offal that I can see).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ordered a 1/4 pig from Heritage Foods? Comments on quality? I'm not even sure I could fit all that meat in my freezer, so I'm a bit apprehensive about trying it.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone ordered a 1/4 pig from Heritage Foods? Comments on quality? I'm not even sure I could fit all that meat in my freezer, so I'm a bit apprehensive about trying it.

I don't know how I missed this post---sorry for the belated reply: I have never ordered 1/4 pig all at once, but I have ordered most of the components of that package at one time or another. It is a marginally better value than buying them separately, but since what I usually want is shoulder, belly, and offal, and am not interested in ground pork or bacon, to me it is not worth it.

This week the Heritage Foods newsletter announced the re-introduction of grass-fed beef from Hearst Ranch:

This week we are pleased to re-introduce the authentic flavor of the American West with 100% grass fed beef from the legendary Hearst Ranch.  Fresh 14-ounce ribeye steaks and fresh 12-ounce strip steaks are available for shipment in limited supply starting Monday. The flavor of Hearst steak can be best described as zesty and herbal, characteristics attributed to the diversity of grasses growing on the vast landscape off the Pacific Ocean that Hearst Ranch occupies.

I think this beef is available through various other purveyors as well: has anyone had it? How does it compare to other grass-fed beef?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I had anything to add here: their recent specials just haven't been, well... special. But today comes something a bit out-of-the ordinary for them: bing cherries. From the newsletter:

The Bing cherries from our friends at Frog Hollow Farm are ready to be picked.  We are also excited to offer a Summer Harvest Sampler that will set you up with a delivery of Bing Cherries in June, Golden Apricots in July, and Cal Red Peaches in August – all delivered from tree to table within 48 hours.

At $20/lb these better be the best cherries anyone ever ate, though :shock: !

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

In response to the above question about 1/4 pigs from Heritage Foods. I got a 1/4 pig (Red Wattle) in March, and I was very happy with it. The pork chops (I grilled them) were the best I have ever tasted. It came in great shape, still frozen when it arrived at my door. If I recall correctly, I got several packages of chops, ground pork, pork sausage, bacon, some ribs, and some shoulder. It came packaged in usable sizes, the chops in packages of 2 and the ground pork, sausage, and bacon in 1-lb. packages.

I haven't made it through too much of it yet, but everything I've tried has been very good. And it's nice to have such a well-stocked freezer! The Red Wattle bacon wasn't quite as good as the Berkshire bacon I'd previously tried from Heritage Foods, but it was still vastly better than what's available in grocery stores around here. And the Red Wattle chops were truly amazing (as I have already mentioned, but it bears repeating!).