• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Squash, what is it good for?

Dante

So I've got a Red Kuri squash sitting on my table, plus a Blue Hubbard and a couple of Delicatas, handed off to me by a co-worker who got them from one of her patients.

My squash knowledge lacks somewhat in some areas- anyone got any suggestions onwhat to do with them besides use them as an attractive seasonal centerpiece for the dining room table?

Sincerely,

Dante

The kuri, being a dry nutty squash, is excellent roasted, the blue hubbard contains a lot more water and is good for sautés or for soup, and the delicata want roasting as well. Is that enough to get you started, or do you need more details?

Delicatas are thin skinned so they don't need to be peeled before eating them. I also find them to be relatively thin fleshed, so I like to use them in larger pieces.

My favorite preparation is to halve them lengthwise, scrape out the seeds, etc., then cut each half into 1/2" slices. Coat lightly with olive oil, then grill or broil (or roast) until soft and browned. Either salt and pepper, or toss with a chipotle honey vinaigrette (Chipotle tabasco sauce, honey, more olive oil, all in proportions to taste).

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

The blue Hubbard actually is quite similar in taste and texture to a butternut or acorn squash and can be prepared in a similar fashion. You can be split open (this may require an ax since they're very hard), the seeds removed and then baked in an oven. Then it can be scooped out and prepared like you would butternut or acorn squash.

The other two types I normally roast or grill depending on what else I'm cooking. The delicitas have a flavor that is fairly mild in my opinion so be careful not to overpower their flavor with a lot of other heavy flavors.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

(this may require an ax since they're very hard)

I would of never thought of an ax as a cooking implement, I am asking for one for xmass.

Back on topic I picked up a butternut squash which came with recipe label. One suggestion was to fill the cavity with cooked sausage. I never would of thought of filling one with meat but will be going for it. Any one have any suggestions?

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

Stewed in coconut milk, sauteed garlic, onion, ginger, fermented krill(bagoong) and pieces of pork belly (simmered in stock until tender), add squash and cooked until squash is very soft and has sucked up all the flavours. Seasoning adjusted with fish sauce and black pepper..Served with rice, yummm.

Or just oven roasted, tossed in a marinade consisting of honey, cumin, soya sauce, good vinegar and olive oil. Marinade is good for all roasted veg.

Edited to add: substitute dried salted fish instead of fermented krill. Pork may also be omitted.

Edited by Fugu (log)