• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frittata Recipes?

rasamalaysia

Hi there, my neighborhood Ralph is giving away free eggs and I am thinking to make some frittata...I have never made it before so if you have any great recipes to share, please let me know.

I cook 99% Malaysian and Asian dishes at home so Frittata is something new that I wish to try.

:smile:

Asian food and cooking recipes: http://www.rasamalaysia.com

once you know how to make a basic frittata you're all set. After that treat it like fried rice...whatever veggie or meat leftovers go right in.

cured ham, onions, and peas is a good combo, also sundried tomatoes and spinach, bacon and asst cheeses, fresh herbs, potatoes and peppers.... it just keeps going.

and they are good hot or room temperature and with a little sour cream/creme fraich on top too

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Depending on whether or not you feel like turning on the oven or broiler, a frittata may be made in one of three different ways. Completely on top of the stove, start on top of the stove and finish in a low-ish (300 degree) oven, or start on top of the stove and finish by popping under the broiler.

All three methods give a different finished product, but they all work (my preference is to start on the stove top and finish in a low oven).

I have a pan specifically dedicated to frittata making - it's a 9 1/2" Circulon, and works perfectly as the eggs never stick - holds six large eggs very nicely. A well-seasoned cast-iron pan or an oven-safe non-stick pan work well too.

For a simple frittata, I'll whisk up six eggs (while pre-heating the pan over moderate heat and the oven to 300), adding salt, pepper, parmesan and a handful of chopped herbs (chives, parsley, thyme all work well). I then coat the bottom of the pan with 1/2 butter and 1/2 EVOO (a good tablespoon of each). When the butter mix stops bubbling, add the egg mixture, turn the heat lower and wait till the eggs start to set a bit on the edges, then pop the pan in the oven. Rotate the pan after 5 minutes or so for even cooking, and then start checking it every few minutes till the eggs are set all the way to the middle. Done. Remove the frittata from the pan by placing a plate (and I like to cover the plate with paper towels to absorb the steam) over the pan and flipping (be careful - the damn pan is hot!).

Many variations are possible - leftover veggies, prosciutto, crisped pancetta all work well - just make sure not to add so much filling as to overwhelm the frittata. But one of my all-time favorites is a frittata with leftover pasta in a tomato sauce - I like to set aside a cup or so of pasta just for this purpose. Along with a handful of parmesan and a good grinding of black pepper, this makes for a wonderful dish!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Rasa-

My understanding of the Frittata is that it is an Italian way of stretching leftovers, primarily starch. In Italy, that would be pasta of some kind.

I generally start with leftover pasta. It could be angel hair with sausage and tomato, or a pesto, or any starch and sauce.

I usually heat up a pan, medium high, add a good amount of olive oil, enough to coat the bottom with a thin layer. Add your starch/sauce, and let it heat up.

Scramble a few eggs, with salt and pepper, garlic, onion, etc. Don't be shy with the seasonings. Pour the egg mixture over, and let it set up around the edges.

Cook for a minute or two, add fresh herbs, spring onion, broccoli, mushrooms, etc.

I like to finish under the broiler with cheese until the egg and cheese have some golden brown spots on them. Remove from pan, cut into slices, and you're good to go.

For an Asian frittata, maybe you have some kind of leftover rice noodle dish with shrimp, or pork, or whatever protein. Hell, it could be just a rice dish of some kind. I look at the starch as the "crust" for the frittata. I've used potatotes, too.

Same concept. Add egg mixture, and DIG IT. It's a cheap and tasty way to use up almost anything in your fridge!

Enjoy to your heart's content.

Steve

"Tell your friends all around the world, ain't no companion like a blue - eyed merle" Robert Plant

One of our favorites is roasted red pepper, zucchini, and onion then topped with goat cheese and finished with chives and/or basil after it comes out of the oven. I precook the veggies and then add them to the egg mixture during the cooktop stage, add the goat cheese before baking it in the oven.

Here's a good combo of add ins: cooked shrimp, fresh corn kernels, 1/2 inch cubes of cream cheese, chopped scallions and parsley, and a sprinkling of Monterey Jack on top.

Note: even off season supermarket corn works--it's that crunch you need.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I just made the frittata from America's Test Kitchen. The flavors worked pretty well. I'm not a big lover of asparagus, but it was good. Paraphrased, this is it:

12 eggs

.5 lb asparagus (sliced on the bias, in bite-sized pieces)

4 oz ham (cubed)

1 shallot (minced)

4 oz gruyere cheese (cubed)

3 T half and half

Salt and pepper

Olive oil (for the pan)

1. Beat eggs with half and half, add salt and pepper, add cubed cheese

2. Saute asparagus in olive oil for about 3 mins, then add shallot and ham. Saute until shallot is soft.

3. Add egg mixture to pan. Use spatula to create large curds while on the burner. Then put the pan under the broiler for approx 3 minutes. Inside will still be wet.

4. Remove from oven and let rest off the heat for 5 mins before removing from pan to allow the eggs to finish cooking.

Edited by plk (log)

Hi there, my neighborhood Ralph is giving away free eggs and I am thinking to make some frittata...I have never made it before so if you have any great recipes to share, please let me know.

I cook 99% Malaysian and Asian dishes at home so Frittata is something new that I wish to try.

:smile:

The recipes supplied so far look great -- here's a fun variation done in muffin tins. These little puppies are great for lunch the next day too. Kinda goofy name though...

Pit Stop Fritattas

10 large eggs

1/2 cup milk

1 tsp dillweed OR fresh basil to taste

1/2 tsp each salt and pepper

3/4 cup shredded cheddar

1/4 cup chopped green onions and

1/4 cup finely diced ham OR

1/2 cup finely diced tomatoes

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix eggs with milk, dill if using, salt and pepper. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese and the onions if using.

Pour equal amounts of egg mixture into greased muffin tins. Sprinkle with ham. Bake in center of oven for 20 to 22 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and broil for 1 or 2 minutes or until bubbly and golden. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes.

Use a blunt knife to loosen and remove frittatas. Serve immediately or cool completely before wrapping individually in plastic wrap. Refrigerate up to 3 days. Reheat on medium in microwave. Makes 12 fritattas.

Note: if your neighbours eggs are really large, you might want to use 8 or 9 instead, as you don't want to overfill the muffin tins.