• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leftover ideas

Doodad

lamb=shephers pie

tilapia = fish stew

chicken = chicken salad

There is not enough of any item to carry it on its own. I wanted to combine them in one dish somehow. Sorry, I was not clear on that.

Maybe dim sums could work with the amounts I have. Or summer rolls with different dip sauces.

I would like something easy so we can relax on the deck and not fuss.

you could mix the lamb and chicken into a nice pie or stew and tilapia tempura for an app.....

or get some tortillas and salsa....soft tacos

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

One dish - that's tricky. Especially since the chicken is already cooked.

I have been working on a "seafood turducken" and a "mammal turducken" in my mind for some time now (seriously) but after reading your query I'm thinking of a "land, sea and air turducken". Put the red meat in a plastic bag and roll it out as big and thin as possible, lay down the fish and then then the chicken on top of that. Roll it up and cook until the lamb looks medium. Depending on the overall diameter, the chicken should be a bit warm and the fish done by the time the lamb is good. Maybe a vegetable barrier between layers, like spinach or kale, or chard? Let's call it surf n' turf n' chirp!

Hey, you asked.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I was thinking conceptually along the summer rolls line too, but I thought maybe a soft taco setup. You know, lay out the three proteins as well as soft tortillas and various other stuff (lettuce, onions, salsa, beans, various hot sauces, etc.). Or burritos, fajitas, whatever.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I have been working on a "seafood turducken" and a "mammal turducken" in my mind for some time now (seriously) but after reading your query I'm thinking of a "land, sea and air turducken". Put the red meat in a plastic bag and roll it out as big and thin as possible, lay down the fish and then then the chicken on top of that. Roll it up and cook until the lamb looks medium. Depending on the overall diameter, the chicken should be a bit warm and the fish done by the time the lamb is good. Maybe a vegetable barrier between layers, like spinach or kale, or chard? Let's call it surf n' turf n' chirp!

Hey, you asked.

This has excellent merit Peter. I also thought of a terrine, but this is easier.

Air, land and sea. Hmmm. I am thinking about pureeing and seasoning the chicken along with spinach as the divider. Thank you very much for allowing me to shamefully steal this idea. The lamb is a piece of rolled roast and will work perfectly.

You da man. :cool:

Edited by Doodad (log)

Hey, you asked.

This has excellent merit Peter. I also thought of a terrine, but this is easier.

Air, land and sea. Hmmm. I am thinking about pureeing and seasoning the chicken along with spinach as the divider. Thank you very much for allowing me to shamefully steal this idea. The lamb is a piece of rolled roast and will work perfectly.

You da man. :cool:

Well alright then - take a picture for us. And thanks, I can't remember the last time I was da man.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I have some uncooked lamb, uncooked tilapia, and roasted chicken that need to be used and find a home in something.

I am tired of the jambalaya and fried rice route for using up leftovers.  Any suggestions?

Is Asian of any sort still OK?

I'd thinly slice the lamb, velvet it and make Mongolian lamb.

The fish, I'd make into a red Thai curry.

Chicken? I'd slice it up and make bahn mi. Or wrap it into summer rolls

Not all in the same dish, but I find that when I cook Asian dishes, meat often tends to stretch a lot....

Those three meats could be the backbone of a really tasty and unusual gumbo!

Any dish you make will only taste as good as the ingredients you put into it. If you use poor quality meats, old herbs and tasteless winter tomatoes I don’t even want to hear that the lasagna recipe I gave you turned out poorly. You're a cook, not a magician.