• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Xinjiang/Uighur Home Cooking

As long as the lamb doesn't have a strong smell, I am absolutely in love with it in any form (almost) :raz:

Oh yes, I do love Uighur breads. I'm not sure why any form of bread that has had a Middle Eastern/Central Asian influence seems to be some of the best in the world!

Oh and I think the thought of eating a cat itself simply doesn't sit well with me  :wacko: Even if it's not rotten lol........ :sad:

Wow your gf really does remind me of myself hahaha! I think I would be good friends with her  :raz:

Yes, those breads are amazing. I should really look into how they make those breads taste so good.

Not a fan of cat, either. I had cat when I was a lot younger (well, could've had it recently too, but it's been a while since I had a mutton skewer). Now I have a cat as a pet, so I wouldn't dare. No cats or dogs for this guy.

You and my GF are so similar it's eerie! :laugh: However, she doesn't have the interest in trying different things as you do. She only eats standard Cantonese food, Japanese food, or pasta. Nothing else. No BBQ, fried or seared things, etc. Every time we go out I have to make sure that the restaurant can make something to accommodate her.

Xinjiang food is spectacular, particularly because of the all the grilling and baking as well as the generous use of cumin. I'm living in Guilin now, and its always a nice change to hit one of the Xinjiang places every so often.

There's a dish I've had from a few different places that consists of two crispy layers of fried egg pancake, chopped savory mutton in between and copious sesame seeds on top. Forgot the name, but if you have the chance try to order it.

Can anyone on here tell me why so many non-Uyghur Chinese don't like food from that area? I have a very hard time talking my girlfriend into going, though once there she usually enjoys it. Why the aversion?

As for the cat meat, it could really go either way. At the Bird & Flower market in Guilin live cats can be purchased for about RMB 4-5. They're skinny and young, but compared to mutton at around 7-8 per pound (斤) or a whole chicken at RMB 25 it could make sense to make the switch. Then again, we also have cat hotpot places where the prices are the same as photographed by Liuzhou.

And not that I don't believe the sources, but salacious media is abundant here. Remember the cardboard-filled bao zi? The whole story was created to drive sales. This one out of Shanghai could be especially dodgy as it deals with a repugnant act committed by those swarthy, shifty Uyghurs that everyone knows are mostly criminals...

One story which "has not been confirmed by police or other authorities" hardly convinces me.

Well, you claimed that I had not even one source to back my assertation, so I merely provided it. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

I'm sorry, but at no point did I claim that you had no source. I merely asked you to provide one.

I has already googled for "cat lamb china kebab" and found that this is the only relevant story, but as it was unconfirmed and based in Shanghai rather than Guangzhou, I ignored it.

I remain unconvinced. 99% of these stories turn out to be myths.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

LuckysticksPRC: Your fried egg pancake sounds abosutely mouth watering! Do you think you could find out the name for me please?

Yes, those breads are amazing.  I should really look into how they make those breads taste so good.

Not a fan of cat, either.  I had cat when I was a lot younger (well, could've had it recently too, but it's been a while since I had a mutton skewer).  Now I have a cat as a pet, so I wouldn't dare.  No cats or dogs for this guy.

You and my GF are so similar it's eerie!   :laugh:  However, she doesn't have the interest in trying different things as you do.  She only eats standard Cantonese food, Japanese food, or pasta.  Nothing else.  No BBQ, fried or seared things, etc.  Every time we go out I have to make sure that the restaurant can make something to accommodate her.

Ahh yes unlike her, I love to try every cuisines out there possible. I cannot live eating the same stuff my whole life because imo, what's the point of living if you can't enjoy the vast variety of foods in this world? :raz:

The only thing I'm not willing to try is 'mystery meats' like cats, dogs or any kind of wild animal...

p.s. FOOD IS LIFE! :wub:

Oh and as for all this cat talk, here's a story for everyone. Here in Australia, a family friend had a bread shop with some Chinese employees (who had just arrived from China) who were ultimately the cause of the downfall for her business...why?

It was found that they would smuggle people's pet cats and have them for lunch (or dinner, breakfast, snack, whatever it was)! :shock:

This caused a stir because after many missing pets were reported, the police made a visit to our family friend's shop to do some random 'check-up'. She obviously had no idea but after her employee were caught red-handed, this left a taint on her business and she had to move to Sydney and start fresh.

True story :shock:

Edited by Ce'nedra (log)

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

...Can anyone on here tell me why so many non-Uyghur Chinese don't like food from that area?

I will venture my guess:

1. Lamb/mutton too "soh" (gamey)

2. Spices used (e.g. cumin) are overpowering

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I'm sorry, but at no point did I claim that you had no source. I merely asked you to provide one.

I has already googled for "cat lamb china kebab" and found that this is the only relevant story, but as it was unconfirmed and based in Shanghai rather than Guangzhou, I ignored it.

I remain unconvinced. 99% of these stories turn out to be myths.

Convinced or unconvinced, I could care less.

Ahh yes unlike her, I love to try every cuisines out there possible. I cannot live eating the same stuff my whole life because imo, what's the point of living if you can't enjoy the vast variety of foods in this world? :raz:

The only thing I'm not willing to try is 'mystery meats' like cats, dogs or any kind of wild animal...

p.s. FOOD IS LIFE! :wub:

Oh and as for all this cat talk, here's a story for everyone. Here in Australia, a family friend had a bread shop with some Chinese employees (who had just arrived from China) who were ultimately the cause of the downfall for her business...why?

It was found that they would smuggle people's pet cats and have them for lunch (or dinner, breakfast, snack, whatever it was)!  :shock:

This caused a stir because after many missing pets were reported, the police made a visit to our family friend's shop to do some random 'check-up'. She obviously had no idea but after her employee were caught red-handed, this left a taint on her business and she had to move to Sydney and start fresh.

True story  :shock:

Nice. I hope the story didn't follow her to Sydney. :sad:

Can anyone on here tell me why so many non-Uyghur Chinese don't like food from that area?

My local Xinjiang food area is packed every night.

The locals queue up for 羊肉串, 牛肉孜然夹馍, 羊肉泡馍.

hey liuzhou

mutton kebab I could sort of read but...., the beef unwearied effort however clamps steamed bread, the mutton soaks steamed bread??? :wacko:

actually a lot of my southern chinese friends can't stand the smell of lamb cooking, but if I can get them to eat it they love it

The locals queue up for 羊肉串, 牛肉孜然夹馍, 羊肉泡馍.

Sorry. translation/explanation:

羊肉串 (Yang rou chuan) Lamb (Mutton) Kebabs

牛肉孜然夹馍 (Niu rou zi ran jia mo) Cumin Fried Beef and Chilli in a Pitta-like bread. Of Xinjiang origin , but especially popular in the Muslim quarter in Xi'an where it is often referred to as a Xi'an Hamburger by foreigners.

羊肉泡馍 (Yang rou pao mo) Mutton soup served with wheat flour flat bread. The hard bread is broken up and added to the soup. Recipe here.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Is Xinjiang cuisine Halal?

There is a Halal chinese restaurant in the South Bay (California) that serves many of the same dishes that you discuss above.

Darda Restuarant in Milpitas

That's what I want to know too.

I'm sure that Xinjiang cuisine is at least for the large part Halal as Uighurs are after all, usually Muslim.

However, my question is: Is there such thing as Xinjiang cuisine that is not of Uighur origin, but rather, more of a regional Chinese difference?

I wonder this because while Uighurs do live in Xinjiang, the Han (who are the majority of China's population obviously) do make up a large part of it too. Do these other people have a Xinjiang cuisine that is uniquely their's and not Uighur?

Sorry to come at a late stage (have spent the last week pigging out in Japan!) but I just wanted to add a few words about Xinjiang/Uighur vs. Hui/Muslim cooking.

As the article points out, the influence of Hui cooking on Beijing food is very large. I've also heard this (repeatedly!) from my ayi who is a Hui person herself. We often talk about food and once a week she makes me a Hui specialty dish for lunchtime. We've covered most of the food in the article :smile:

It is VERY different food from that of the Uighur Restaurant that I habitually go to (Crescent Moon on Dongshi Liutiao) where the staff and cooks are obviously Uighur (even down to their Uighur-mandarin). They are mainly fresh-immigrants from Xinjiang and one of them (if you're there late at night) will break out the fold songs and perform for anyone left in the restaurant.

Their classic repetoire includes roast leg of lamb, lamb-on a -stick, the baked bread pasties, nang bread, lots of lovely salads, home-made yoghurt, and of course hand-pull-rice and the noodles in tomato and lamb based sauce (sorry - I'm too lazy to type Chinese right now).

Very very different food from Xian (and places-east Muslim food)!!

My favourite thing of all at Crescent MOon, though, is ordering 'Xinjiang beer': the chosen booze of Muslims :raz:

They also have lots of red wine.....both of which are hidden from visits by the local Iman!!

Gosh - I want some now! I really missed the chillis while I was in Japan!

<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>

Sorry to come at a late stage (have spent the last week pigging out in Japan!) but I just wanted to add a few words about Xinjiang/Uighur vs. Hui/Muslim cooking.

As the article points out, the influence of Hui cooking on Beijing food is very large. I've also heard this (repeatedly!) from my ayi who is a Hui person herself. We often talk about food and once a week she makes me a Hui specialty dish for lunchtime. We've covered most of the food in the article :smile:

It is VERY different food from that of the Uighur Restaurant that I habitually go to (Crescent Moon on Dongshi Liutiao) where the staff and cooks are obviously Uighur (even down to their Uighur-mandarin). They are mainly fresh-immigrants from Xinjiang and one of them (if you're there late at night) will break out the fold songs and perform for anyone left in the restaurant.

Their classic repetoire includes roast leg of lamb, lamb-on a -stick, the baked bread pasties, nang bread, lots of lovely salads, home-made yoghurt, and of course hand-pull-rice and the noodles in tomato and lamb based sauce (sorry - I'm too lazy to type Chinese right now).

Very very different food from Xian (and places-east Muslim food)!!

My favourite thing of all at Crescent MOon, though, is ordering 'Xinjiang beer': the chosen booze of Muslims  :raz:

They also have lots of red wine.....both of which are hidden from visits by the local Iman!!

Gosh - I want some now! I really missed the chillis while I was in Japan!

Oh wow your aunt is a Hui? That is awesome! Would you be able to ask her for some authentic recipes please (if it isn't too much of a hassle)? :biggrin: I do love lamian (拉面)! I've only had it once though -and it was awhile ago -so I don't remember too much but I do know it was de-li-cious! :wub:

I have a question if you don't mind. Being a Hui means she's a Muslim and generally they are really restrictive with the fact that you should marry a Muslim yourself...so is your uncle Hui too? Or maybe converted? Wait...is she your aunt by blood?

That's a very interesting family you have there :) Hui, Manchu, Han, who knows what else :wink:

Thanks for your knowledge of all those Uighur foods. I wish I could eat some more! I'm going to eat out at a new Uighur restaurant over here some time soon once my friends and I are all free at the same time. Will try to order as many dishes as possible! AND I shall take pictures for you guys too :)

The noodles in tomato and lamb based sauce is of particular interest to me. I've had it once before -can't wait to try it again!

Oh btw, do you think you might know the answer to my question? Here it is again:

Is there such thing as Xinjiang cuisine that is not of Uighur origin, but rather, more of a regional Chinese difference?

I wonder this because while Uighurs do live in Xinjiang, the Han (who are the majority of China's population obviously) do make up a large part of it too. Do these other people have a Xinjiang cuisine that is uniquely their's and not Uighur?

Also, what's the difference between Hui and Uighur cuisine? And what kind of aspects/dishes in Peking cuisine do you think is essentially Hui?

Edited by Ce'nedra (log)

Oh wow your aunt is a Hui? That is awesome! Would you be able to ask her for some authentic recipes please (if it isn't too much of a hassle)? :biggrin: I do love lamian (拉面)! I've only had it once though -and it was awhile ago -so I don't remember too much but I do know it was de-li-cious!  :wub:

I have a question if you don't mind. Being a Hui means she's a Muslim and generally they are really restrictive with the fact that you should marry a Muslim yourself...so is your uncle Hui too? Or maybe converted? Wait...is she your aunt by blood?

That's a very interesting family you have there :) Hui, Manchu, Han, who knows what else  :wink:

Thanks for your knowledge of all those Uighur foods. I wish I could eat some more! I'm going to eat out at a new Uighur restaurant over here some time soon once my friends and I are all free at the same time. Will try to order as many dishes as possible! AND I shall take pictures for you guys too :)

The noodles in tomato and lamb based sauce is of particular interest to me. I've had it once before -can't wait to try it again!

Oh btw, do you think you might know the answer to my question? Here it is again:

Is there such thing as Xinjiang cuisine that is not of Uighur origin, but rather, more of a regional Chinese difference?

Also, what's the difference between Hui and Uighur cuisine? And what kind of aspects/dishes in Peking cuisine do you think is essentially Hui?

OOOPS!

<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>

Oh wow your aunt is a Hui? That is awesome! Would you be able to ask her for some authentic recipes please (if it isn't too much of a hassle)? :biggrin: I do love lamian (拉面)! I've only had it once though -and it was awhile ago -so I don't remember too much but I do know it was de-li-cious!  :wub:

That's a very interesting family you have there :) Hui, Manchu, Han, who knows what else  :wink:

OOOPS! Sorry for the misunderstanding - ayi is my indirect way of referring to my maid. Perhaps I should have said baomu......

she only comes in a couple of times a week to help clean off all the Beijing dust, bring in veggies from the farmers market, cook lots of yummy food and of course, give me a good scold for eating the wrong foods, buying the wrong stuff and doing the wrong things...!

I will try and get her recipe for her red-cooked beef. It has all these strange spices in it which she says are particular to Hui cooking. I've been too lazy so far to find out what they all are, but I will take a note next time! :biggrin:

I myself know almost nothing about Xinjiang - however, I do know someone who is Han from Xinjiang...but we ended up just talking about the wine that they make. I will try and find out more!

I will let more qualified and experienced people here talk about the influence of Hui on Beijing food!!! All I know is that an awful lot of the street food here has Hui influences. HTH!

Just sat down to an entire roasted goat meal in our favorite Xinjiang restaurant last night. They cooked it for us for 4 days in a pit and brought it to the table, whole. It was incredibly tender, and for once, no one complained that it was too gamey (how do you say this in putonghua?). I went into the kitchen to watch the cutting and as they opened the main cavity, the kidneys, which had roasted inside, sort of tumbled out. All of the Uyghur guys in the kitchen immediately started hollerin for me to eat one and I thought they were testicles! They gave me some cumin for dippin and only upon chomping in to one did I realize that they were actually delicious, flavorful kidneys.

The rest of the meal was great, and I got the name of the mutton and egg pancake:

mutton and egg pancake (羊肉鸡蛋饼)

I don't think this is a widely known dish, and it seemed like she was making the name up when I asked her. If anyone else can help me out I can only say that it has a lightly crisp, covered in sesame seeds egg pancake on top and bottom (and maybe another layer in the middle), with savory chopped up mutton in the middle. Its also about the same size as a dinner plate.

If you're in China and you speak Chinese, ask for 羊肉kah-bob next time you order some 串 from a guy from Xinjiang. They get a kick out of that.