• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dominican recipe

Tri2Cook

A friend described a food she had (and enjoyed) while vacationing in the Dominican Republic that she says was fried and the main components were plantains, cheese and I'm pretty sure she said ham. This sounded odd to me but I've never been there so what do I know. Anybody have any idea what this might be?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is an old post but there are two dishes made with plantains that come to mind.

The first is Mangu. Mangu in its purest form is very similar to the American version of mashed potatoes, except that instead of butter is uses olive oil. However the plantains in this recipe are boiled and not fried. people do put cheese and ham on it. It can be eate w. pretty much anything.

The other which comes to mind is a Puerto Rican plantain dish that maybe they have a form of in the DR. Piononos (not sure what they would be calle in the DR) This is somewhat like a lasagna except the pasta is replaced by friend plantains. This dish does involve cheese.

In all honesty, there are about a gazillion dishes that are made in the Spanish Caribbean with plantains. A lot are fried, a lot involve ham and few others involve cheese.

Let us know if you ever found out what it was.

-Sus

After talking to her about it some more, I'm pretty sure it is mangu. It was my mistake about the "fried" part. Apparently it was just the cheese and meat that were fried. I can't find the suggested cheese, Queso Freir, where I live (can't get Queso Blanco, which is listed as a sub, either... sourcing ingredients is the main disadvantage of living in a small, remote Canadian town). I have no idea if there is some particular kind of ham (if it was actually ham, that's just what she called it) they use. Anyway, finding out what I was actually trying to recreate was the main task. I'll figure out how to get what I need or what to sub, so thanks very much to both of you for the help.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I looked up the queso freir...just in case you can find any Greek foods Halloumi just might work. It is another cheese that holds its shape when cooked....although the queso blanco is actually easy to make (from what I have read)

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I looked up making queso blanco and you're right, it does appear to be really easy so I'm going to make a batch tomorrow. Problem solved, thanks again!