• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Cream Pie

jende

I'm looking for a great chocolate cream pie recipe -- one that is somewhere between the too-rich versions with tons of heavy cream and the low-fat versions that are all skim milk and cornstarch.

Anyone have one to share?

This one was highly recommended to me, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. It sounds pretty rich, and is probably not what you're looking for, but I'll post the link anyway:

Triple-chocolate pudding pie with cappuccino cream

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/108325

Here's another one to check out, which sounds less rich - just uses milk:

Chocolate Cream Pie

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/109139

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Cook's Illustrated May 2001 had a version. I got some Callebaut unsweetened chocolate to make the recipe with, but never got around to making it. If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you the recipe from mastercook.

Cook's Illustrated May 2001 had a version.  I got some Callebaut unsweetened chocolate to make the recipe with, but never got around to making it.  If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you the recipe from mastercook.

This is the one make. Done it several times with a few different chocolates. Can't recall if I have ever donw it with Callebaut, however.

It's very dense and rich. So, maybe too much for the OP.

Still, it's really good. I love this pie.

Edited by jsmeeker (log)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Thanks everyone. I found the Cook's Illustrated recipe and it does sound delicious, but maybe a little heavy for what I'm looking for. I'm going to try the epicurious one.

jende, please let me know how it turns out - I'm forever looking for a good chocolate cream pie, and like you, I don't want one that's either too heavy or too lowfat - this sounds like it could be it!

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Thanks everyone. I found the Cook's Illustrated recipe and it does sound delicious, but maybe a little heavy for what I'm looking for. I'm going to try the epicurious one.

jende, please let me know how it turns out - I'm forever looking for a good chocolate cream pie, and like you, I don't want one that's either too heavy or too lowfat - this sounds like it could be it!

I'll be happy to post back. I'll make the pie over the holiday weekend.

I recently made this recipe from Sunset magazine and really enjoyed the results. Not too heavy and great chocolate flavor. I used a half and half mixture of 70% Scharffenberger and 70% Green & Black.

Chocolate Cream Pie

I made my own chocolate crust from Fran Bigelow's book Pure Chocolate.

Oops....looks like the one I suggested (from America's Test Kitchen on Leite's Culinaria) is the same as the Cooks Illustrated one. I know that ATK and CI are the same group, but now I'm wondering if most of the Cooks Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen recipes are the same in their various publications?

Aria in Oregon

Oops....looks like the one I suggested (from America's Test Kitchen on Leite's Culinaria)  is the same as the Cooks Illustrated one.    I know that ATK and CI are the same group, but now I'm wondering if most of the Cooks Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen recipes are the same in their various publications?

ATK is the TV show that supports the magazine CI (and vice versa, I suppose)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Today I made the second epicurious pie posted by merstar and it was delicious. It was definitely rich and intensely chocolately. It also came together easily and firmed up nicely -- other recipes I've tried didn't produce a thick enough filling and it ran when sliced.

Definitely a keeper.