• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Porterhouse steak

taoseno

OK so i need some cooking advice. I am in Dc for a few days and my parents just called and told me they are having a lobels steak sent to my friends house. Moving past the idea that i have no idea what i did to deserve this, i am now panicking about cooking it. They are sending a 36oz porterhouse. My issues are stovetop vs grill. the stove is electric and i am not sure he has a great pan, i will go buy one though. if i do it on the stove is grape seed oil an absolute must? or should i cook it on the grill and if i do it that way, slow cook it since i assume it's pretty thick or sear it adn move it away from the heat? as you can see i need help, it's being delivered on thursday so all opinions minus you are spoiled and undeserving are welcome, thanks

dave

Dave, let me start by saying.... "you are spoiled and undeserving" :raz:

But seriously, you could cook it on the stovetop where you can control the heat a little better and then finish it on the grill, preferably charcoal, for enhanced flavor. Any neutral oil with a high smoking point should give you a good sear in a high quality stainless steel pan.

Depending on the thickness of the steak, you will need to cook it for a longer duration than what you may typically be used to, though be careful not to over do it. Lobel steaks are best eaten on the rarer side of medium-rare. If you are really concerned, get a infra red thermometer or at least a probe thermometer which will monitor the internal temp while cooking.

And most importantly, once the steak is off the stove/grill, cover it with an overturned stainless steel bowl and let it sit for 15 min before cutting into it to allow the juices to redistribute.

Are you planning to season it?

i am sending my gf to dean and deluca to get the salt in the pictures on the philly tasters page. she may be headed out to get a proper pan as well, i wonder if they would let me on the plane with a big old steel pan. thanks for the help.

Dave, let me start by saying.... "you are spoiled and undeserving"  :raz:

But seriously, you could cook it on the stovetop where you can control the heat a little better and then finish it on the grill, preferably charcoal, for enhanced flavor. Any neutral oil with a high smoking point should give you a good sear in a high quality stainless steel pan.

Depending on the thickness of the steak, you will need to cook it for a longer duration than what you may typically be used to, though be careful not to over do it. Lobel steaks are best eaten on the rarer side of medium-rare. If you are really concerned, get a infra red thermometer or at least a probe thermometer which will monitor the internal temp while cooking.

And most importantly, once the steak is off the stove/grill, cover it with an overturned stainless steel bowl and let it sit for 15 min before cutting into it to allow the juices to redistribute.

Are you planning to season it?

I'd avoid a pan and go straight to the grill. The bone will make it sit unevenly in the pan which could make it cook unevenly. A good way to go on the grill to make sure the outside isn't overdone before the inside is perfect is to pile the charcoal on one side of the grill. Use that side for a few minutes a side at first to get a good crust going and then move to the cool side for some indirect heat to finish it off.

If you're at all concerned about getting the correct doneness definitely use a thermometer. Better to swallow the pride and be sure than overcook a beautiful piece of beef.

The Alton Brown method has worked well for me, and I would do it with a really good Porterhouse, rather than Weber charcoal:

Preheat the oven and the cast iron pan to 500F. This will take about 30 minutes.

Pan grill the seasoned steak, searing in oil such as grapeseed, on high gas or electric burner, for 3 or 4 minutes, each side.

Finish in the oven (it can be backed off to 400F) for several minutes, until the internal temp. is 115F.

Let the steak rest for a few minutes, while you make a finishing sauce in the cast iron pan.

A silicon mitt is helpful to move the hot iron pan.

I would remove the bone, and end up with a NY strip and a tenderloin...Then leave it on the counter till it gets to room temp. Then As JAYT said , a cast iron pan at at least 500º.. Dont put oil in it. sprinkle a light coat of salt in the bottom of the pan.

If you dont have a I/R thermometer to see if the temp is 500º+ , when the salt starts to "pop" its ready. (you cant get it to hot)

Turn after the first side is very brown. Then, when you push on the top with a spatula it is kinda firm and the bottom is very brown, move to a plate for 5 minutes or so. then cut into servings and serve...

If you are not comfortable with the push with the spatula, use a digital thermometer to stop at about 125º...

Bud

• 1 month later...

This is an old thread but I would like to add my experience for a good steak. Until now the Alton Brown method was the one for me, but I added a bit of butter when grilling the steak in the pan, to give more colour. I now do the same BUT dont put it in the oven. I follow what Blumenthal and McGee do (partially).

- very hot cast iron griddle pan (I like the lines)

- 1minute on each side to get the marking and colour, then add butter and cook 30 sec more on each side. and turn the heat to medium

- I then flip the steak every 15 seconds for 5 mins (20 flips). According to Henston, this is similar to cooking in a 60 degree oven. the proteins do not denature fast and collagen melts. It take a while, and its a bit hard if you do two or more steaks in the same time, but makes an amazing steak.

of course when I am preparing more than 2, the good ole Alton method works a treat

Two ways to approach this; both of which I like for different reasons.

First, and favorite, is the grill. Nothing flavors or presents like grilled beef. You will need a hot spot and cold spot for control. Put on grill at hottest point and then turn 90 degrees after 3 minutes. Cook an additional 3 minutes in hot part. Then turn over and cook in cooler area until desired doneness. And the answer on this quality beef should be rare to med rare.

For a pan. Lightly coat a cast iron or caphalon type searing pan. (What I use). Fry three minutes turn over and sear another three minutes. Then into a preheated 450 degree oven until desired doneness.

Either method works. Season before cooking. Rest under tented foil for at least 10 after cooking.

Enjoy ya spoiled thing.