• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleaning Portobello Mushrooms

Shel_B

Last night I watched Dinner: Impossible and the chef gave instructions for cleaning Portobellos. Apart from ridding the 'shrooms of the gills, he wanted the crowns peeled to show the white of the 'shroom under the skin, saying that he wanted a "cleaner" taste (iirc). I'd never seen that done before. Is this a usual practice? Does it result in a cleaner, or different, taste than an unoeeled Portobello? Any suggestions on how to do implement this technique efficiently? Are there specific situations where this is a preferred treatment of the 'shrooms? When might it not be appropriate?

Thanks for any comments ...

Shel

... Shel

If you have the time to peel the top of it i think its always nice. You end up with a little bit less of a mushroom, but yes i do feel that the taste is cleaner. At restaurants in the past we always cleaned our portabellos, depends on the restaurant though most nicer places will clean them depending on what they are going to do with them. As far as for cleaning them just grab a short paring knife, on the bottom of the mushroom at the end of the gills is a small lip or mushroom crown, just grab it and peel. Hope this helps.

I rarely if ever peel the mushroom caps.

The gills on big mushrooms like portobellos, IMO, can be a little bitter and most certainly affect the colour of food if mixed in with other stuff.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Peeling portabellos! I thought it was not a good thing for the taste to do unless u were doing a decorative design?

Is peeling portabellos a normal practice?

Please advice. I love portabellos and have survived so far having eaten them skin and gills and all ....