• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner for two in london...

Where would folks recommend for a dinner for two in london, on a high budget (upto around 300)? I was thinking of the tasting menu at petrus? I've heard vv good things.. i can't seem to find if they do paired wines with the tasting menu but i presume they do?

How about le gavroche?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Petrus, Pied a Terre, Tom Aikens are all good options. Gary Rhodes new restaurant is also fantastic and well worth a visit. For Japanese I still love Nobu, Zuma and Roka.

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

I think Hibiscus is only opening around 24th september - assuming no delays and I believe they are pretty booked for their first two weeks already!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

We were at Le Gavroche recently and it is as good as ever. I honestly haven't eaten better anywhere else in London. Another suggestion is The Capital Hotel. Eric Chavot's cooking is great and the service is first class.

I have to say that I had a very mediocre meal at The Capital the other week - not usually that bad, but a few people from the boards have been their recently and been underwhelmed.

It's worth considering Umu. It's £125 per person for the nine-course tasting menu with matched sake, and you can get a couple of cocktails each with the change.

Went there earlier this year; my writeup is here. Summary: real wasabi; interesting vegetables and herbs; varied and well-matched sake choices; nine courses is rather too much food for a Kake.

[...]

Or with some change:

Bacchus (you could have the £60 tasting menu and £45 matched wine).

[...]

I went to Bacchus earlier this month with the boyfriends; writeup is on chowhound. Overall, it was a Good Thing, and I'm working out diary dates to go back with more people, probably in September. Some of the details I liked, some I didn't; but for everything I disliked, there was one of my companions who liked it. I reckon that's a good sign.