• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grilling A Suckling Pig

Busboy

The devastation:

gallery_7284_4759_97176.jpg

I absolutely want to do this again with a larger pig.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I keep clicking on this photo to see if it as funny to me every time I click on it, and it is, each time.

These photos would made the basis of a great chldren's book. :laugh:

Really, I don't *know* why it's humorous, but it is.

"La Piggie en Deshabille".

(She needs some clothes!)

My eight-year-old demanded, and got, one of the legs to nibble on. I carved out the cheeks for me and Charles, with a bit for my husband. We didn't go hog-wild (chortle) on the carcass, as we were all full and possibly a teensy bit drunk by that time.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Any sense of how much meat the 35 pounder provided?

Heather might have a different guesstimate, but I'd think 6-7 pounds. Not much at all (fortunately, it was a samll group. 35 lbs, btw was before it was gutted or whatever they call it.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

We got the heart and liver with the pig. Charles took them but I don't know if he used them.

6-7 pound yield sounds about right to me. Not much at all. Next time I cook a piglet it will be for a much more intimate crowd. Scott was busy grilling other stuff, and didn't get any roast pig except for the cheek I brought him. He was very disappointed.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I bet he was disappointed. :sad: The only way to have enough meat from a roast pig is to fill everyone else up on other stuff first. :biggrin:

I'm sorry that Charles only took the heart and the liver, though. That would have made a nice pictorial - dealing with *all* the innards creatively.

Especially if he wore that nice pink shirt while doing it. :raz:

• 2 years later...

I have the opportunity to cook our Thanksgiving piglet in a "Big Green Egg". Usually I cook piglets in my oven. Anybody got any advice on whether I should give this "Big Green Egg" a try?

I will do my typical brining of 24 hours with garlic, citrus, and loads of fresh oregano. The piglets that I get are usually around 20-25 lbs.

But after that, if I cook it in the Egg, how long and at what temperature would you grilling/smoking experts suggest? And should I stuff it and/or truss it in any way? The Egg does not have a rotisserie feature, to my knowledge, but then again, I don't know much about Big Green Egg cooking.

Thanks in advance for any advice! And not to worry, I am an equal opportunity cook, so a very large turkey will also be served!