• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet Corn Soup

Suvir Saran

I love corn... and most often grill it outside on our deck... or even cheat and do it on the stove top... most often I prepare it Indian style with a rub of spices, lemon juice and when easily available, freshly minced cilantro.

But Monday night, we were a five some that left Manhattan (food critic et al) and drove over the Manhattan Bridge and into Park Slope. We were being invited for a home cooked meal at Ed Schoenfelds home.

He is considered by many to be one of the most respected authorities on Chinese cooking and food in general. How could we have said no to an offer like that.

The first thing serve to us that memorable evening was the best Sweet Corn Soup I have ever had. And it is so funny.. Every time Ed makes it, I think it is better than the last time... and what is strange is that he agrees... Makes me wonder if recipes get refined and better as cooks prepare them more and more.... I do that all the time.. And change my recipes after each time I taste the finished one....

Even though most of us knew we had LOTS more food to eat, we each took seconds of the Sweet Corn Soup.. And I took 4 servings... I made it my meal.... I am crazy about corn....

What I love about Ed's Sweet Corn Soup is the very clean flavors the soup has. It is intensely corn, not sweet with sugar or honey or any sweetener.. But the sweetness of corn.... sweetness of fresh very good corn.

What do you think makes the soup so good?

Does anyone have a recipe that is an easy one to follow to prepare this?

I'm partial to the cornstarch/thinkened kind that is usually billed as "Velvet Chicken Corn Soup" in chinese takeout places. Usually a variant of eggdrop soup, made with a chicken stock and has lots of corn kernels and peices floating around in it. I think the stock might be cooked with some of the corn and then blended slightly, and then more corn and then the eggs are added to complete it, with the cornstarch to thicken.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

It's not plain corn soup but something I enjoyed even more: a corn soup with sweet corn and parmagianno -reggiano agnelotti, that I had at Spago. I know the recipe is in one his books that I have at home - I'll PM you the details.

Using the cobs to make stock, after shucking corn I save them in the freezer until I have enough for a pot of stock. Also adding the corn before serving the soup helps keep the flavor.

How do you prepare this soup?

I have only ever had it.. never made it... How would someone as green as me even begin the task of making this soup...

I have made Corn Chowder and enjoyed it... had many really fine chefs make it... But while I love chowder for what it is.... Sweet Corn Soup rules supreme in my mind...It is so light and so flavorful and the flavoring so clean...

I crave it even as I write this post...

Maybe I can call and get invited to Ed's very soon for more soup... He loves to share and entertain and cook...

Suvir was the soup a cream type soup and was it smooth or textured?

When I make mine I only use corn water,18% cream and butter.

And seasonings,of course.

Corn water: take 4 or 5 ears,cut the kernels off and bring to a simmer with just enough water to cover,cook for 15 minutes,puree and strain.

For the corn remove kernels,add some corn water,butter and roast in the oven stir every few minutes,when the corn is cooked,add the 18% cream and let steap until it has cooled.This is my base.

Process until smooth and strain,and at this time fresh corn can be added

for that extra explosion of freshness.Or you can leave a texture to the soup.

Like any seasonal ingredient like this or asparagus or tomatoes,when I make a soup I like to keep it very simple.

Simple embellishments don't detract too much,I might use italian parsley

and lemon zest,but generally just a knob of butter to swirl.

Now you got me thinking corn soup,and I already have enough to do.Thanks alot. :angry:

Fry an onion & a little garlic, add the corn (and cob to help with the flavour).

I'll add veg or chicken stock depending on what's available.

After about 20-30 min remove the cobs.

Add lots of basil, pepper & salt before blending & pass through a very very fine seive.

When serving - drizzle a little truffle oil over the top.

We have a corn soup in our house quite regularly.

Saute one large onion, 1 red pepper diced and 4 chopped rashers of bacon ( alternatively use a ham hock, bacon bones based stock ) until the red pepper and onion are soft but not brown.

add in 500 grams or thereabouts of corn, you can roast it in the oven and remove it from the cobs if you are feeling fancy ) or use frozen corn thawed. Saute until softened. Plop the whole lot in a food processor and process until smooth. Retun to the pan and add in the stock - (about 4-6 cups, depending on how thick you want your soup) - I use homemade bacon stock if I can, or alternatively chicken or vegetable stock. If you want a creamy soup, add in 1/2 cup of cream just before serving and reheat.

We also sometimes add in a couple of chillies if we feel like something a little spicier. Garnish with either diced red pepper or chilli powder sprinkled on the bowls.

My son just adores this soup

:smile:

Banc in Sydney do an excellent Creamy Corn soup; the recipe is in the Banc Cookbook. From what I remember it involves making stock by putting corn and cobs seperated into water with some onion, and simmering for a couple of hours. Afte that boil up some fresh corn freshly off the cob until just soft and then blend the whole lot up. Push the lot through a sieve, and then fold cream in. Sprinkle basil and some freshly cracked pepper on top.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

I'm partial to the cornstarch/thinkened kind that is usually billed as "Velvet Chicken Corn Soup" in chinese takeout places. Usually a variant of eggdrop soup, made with a chicken stock and has lots of corn kernels and peices floating around in it. I think the stock might be cooked with some of the corn and then blended slightly, and then more corn and then the eggs are added to complete it, with the cornstarch to thicken.

I think this may be closest to what we were served at Eddies. The stock was clear and very light.

And certainly Chinese style.

It's not plain corn soup but something I enjoyed even more: a corn soup with sweet corn and parmagianno -reggiano agnelotti, that I had at Spago. I know the recipe is in one his books that I have at home - I'll PM you the details.

The recipe seems lovely. Will try it soon. Thanks for your effort with the typing of the recipe. :smile:

Suvir was the soup a cream type soup and was it  smooth or textured?

When I make mine I only use corn water,18% cream and butter.

And seasonings,of course.

Corn water: take 4 or 5 ears,cut the kernels off and bring to a simmer with just enough water to cover,cook for 15 minutes,puree and strain.

For the corn remove kernels,add some corn water,butter and roast in the oven stir every few minutes,when the corn is cooked,add the 18% cream and let steap until it has cooled.This is my base.

Process until smooth and strain,and at this time fresh corn can be added

for that extra explosion of freshness.Or you can leave a texture to the soup.

Like any seasonal ingredient like this or asparagus or tomatoes,when I make a soup I like to keep it very simple.

Simple embellishments don't detract too much,I might use italian parsley

and lemon zest,but generally just a knob of butter to swirl.

Now you got me thinking corn soup,and I already have enough to do.Thanks alot. :angry:

No cream or dairy in the soup...

The base of the soup was very creamy.. in fact even the egg in it seemed so delicate that they seemed as if they were really some kind of thick foam... cooked just enough that they seemed white... but not too leathery...

The flavors in the soup were all about corn....

There seemed to have been little if any distraction from it.

Not sure what the stock had... but it was so good that it gave a depth of flavor that certainly entertained ones palate but let the corn be the focus.

Fry an onion & a little garlic, add the corn (and cob to help with the flavour).

I'll add veg or chicken stock depending on what's available.

After about 20-30 min remove the cobs.

Add lots of basil, pepper & salt before blending & pass through a very very fine seive.

When serving - drizzle a little truffle oil over the top.

Sounds very nice..... different from what I ate the other night... but seems delicious and not too difficult. Thanks! :smile:

I've got a recipe for a dynamite Corn Bisque from Gary Robins.  Will post later, have to run out now.

Thanks Suzanne for caring to help me find the best Corn Soup recipe. Very kind of you.

Maybe you can PM me the recipe. Will help us not mess around with the delicate copyright issues. :smile:

the best corn soup Ive had was from Trotters to GO ...it was incredible and had bits of prociutto in it...mmmm

he has a corn soup recipe in his Gourmet for Dummies Book and I will post it later tonight....

As I told Suzanne above... Please PM me the recipe. It seems wonderful. Would love to make it. I love corn... never have enough of it. :smile:

We have a corn soup in our house quite regularly.

Saute one large onion, 1 red pepper diced and 4  chopped rashers of bacon ( alternatively use a ham hock, bacon bones based stock ) until the red pepper and onion are soft but not brown. 

add in 500 grams  or thereabouts of corn, you can roast it in the oven and remove it from the cobs if you are feeling fancy ) or use frozen corn thawed. Saute until softened. Plop the whole lot in a food processor and process until smooth. Retun to the pan and add in the stock - (about 4-6 cups, depending on how thick you want your soup) - I use homemade bacon stock if I can, or alternatively chicken or vegetable stock. If you want a creamy soup, add in 1/2 cup of cream just before serving and reheat.

We also sometimes add in a couple of chillies if we feel like something a little spicier. Garnish with either diced red pepper or chilli powder sprinkled on the bowls.

My son just adores this soup

:smile:

I may be following in your sons footsteps on this one. :biggrin:

It is interesting that you use bacon bones based stock...

I am told many Chinese cooks would add pork bones into their stock...hmmmm....

Thanks for the recipe. :smile:

Banc in Sydney do an excellent Creamy Corn soup; the recipe is in the Banc Cookbook. From what I remember it involves making stock by putting corn and cobs seperated into water with some onion, and simmering for a couple of hours. Afte that boil up some fresh corn freshly off the cob until just soft and then blend the whole lot up. Push the lot through a sieve, and then fold cream in. Sprinkle basil and some freshly cracked pepper on top.

Will do an internet search for the Banc cookbook. Thanks for the tip. :smile:

What if I just give the basic outline of the preparation? I don't think it's ever been published, but I don't want to infringe on Gary's intellectual property too much. Besides, I've only got the operational restaurant recipe, with large quantities.

Corn Stock

Fresh corn on the cob, shucked: chop into 1" lengths; set aside 1/2.

Cover 1/2 of the corn pieces with a mixture of half water, half chicken stock. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Strain out corn and discard. Return liquid to pot, add other 1/2 of corn. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Strain out corn and discard. Keep the stock.

Corn Bisque

Add cut kernels of fresh corn to the stock. If you cut the kernels early, chop up and add the cobs to the stock along with the other chopped corn, 1/2 at a time. Cook until tender. Purée mixture in a blender. Strain through chinois. Thin with more stock if necessary. Add heavy cream. Season to taste.

When reheating, do not allow to boil.

We made this in the restaurant with a whole case of corn for the stock, 5 - 6 Q of chicken stock (+ = water), and then 20 ears for the cut corn and about 2 Q heavy cream.

heading into the corn chowder sphere: We've had a standard corn chowder recipe (fry bacon bits, remove, fry onion, add cream of mushroom soup, milk, corn, etc.....) for years, but I got a recipe out of Yankee Magazine last year for corn, scallop and red bell pepper chowder that was outstanding... no bacon, wonder of wonders, and it flavorful fand sweet. The recipe's worth looking up since, alas, I can't remember it.....