• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Peter the eater - Nova Scotia Eats

I recently made some gravlax and salmon ceviche at the same time for a side-by-side  comparison. I bought a small fresh piece of Atlantic salmon and cut it into chunks and placed half into a container with 1/2 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar. The other half went into a container with the juice of a lime and a lemon plus a few capers. I left them overnight in the fridge and got this:

gallery_28661_4647_112252.jpg

The gravlax on the left became very firm and the colour deeped, whereas the ceviche was soft and flaky and pale - similar to cooking with moist heat. I gather most would have applied a weighted pressure to the gravlax to flatten it out while curing, and they'd add dill, I did neither. As well, overnight in the fridge is longer than ideal for a traditional ceviche.

I took bits from each and put them on cukes with a little sour cream/cream cheese mixture.

gallery_28661_4647_49633.jpg

<snip>

The ceviche was more like a cold piece of poached salmon with a little citrus dressing. Both are really tasty, easy and affordable, and faster than smoking.

I've only made gravlax once. It was a several-day preparation, complete with the weights and days in the refrigerator, and mustard-dill sauce. Although I liked the result I've hesitated to invest the time to do it again. It never occurred to me that it could be expedited that way. Did you also add liquid, or just the salt and sugar?

I'm a great one for side-by-side comparisons. Thanks for doing that, and providing the comments on the results. Both the results made tasty-looking hors d'oeuvres!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

A folk tale I suppose, but, the story is often told that when the Acadians were forced out of Canada, they began their long trip to Louisiana. Their friends, lobsters, decided to follow them south. By the end of the long trip, the lobsters had lost so much weight that they were now crawfish.

That's funny. I can't believe I haven't heard that before.

And speaking of lobsters, is the "lobster crisis" over yet? I haven't been following this lately...

Bridget Avila

My Blog

I've only made gravlax once. It was a several-day preparation, complete with the weights and days in the refrigerator, and mustard-dill sauce. Although I liked the result I've hesitated to invest the time to do it again. It never occurred to me that it could be expedited that way. Did you also add liquid, or just the salt and sugar?

I did not add liquid. The photo shows a syrupy substance - all that water was sucked out of the fish and it made the grains of salt and sugar disappear. It continued to change the next day or so getting darker and more firm. I figure thinner pieces of fish means a faster process.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

tejon,

You asked about bagged milk - you can see it in the next batch of pix. You can buy 3 bags (4 litres) for $5.19 up to $7.35 around here. And the empty bags work perfectly in my kitchen shrinkwrapper.

Here I am preparing 6 chicken thighs for a Thai red curry coconut in the tajine. The other 6 are being frozen. With the sale, the thighs work out to just under 50 cents each (my keyboard doesn't seem to have the $-like character for cents)

gallery_28661_4647_70014.jpg

gallery_28661_4647_82421.jpg

gallery_28661_4647_75187.jpg

gallery_28661_4647_55163.jpg

gallery_28661_4647_20605.jpg

gallery_28661_4647_3710.jpg

This vessel is good for this kind of thing because it goes from stovetop (for browning) to oven (for slow cooking) to tabletop (for eating) and its supereasy to clean.

Moe Sizlack

I'm from Toronto but married a Caper (a person born on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia).

Does she have any good Scottish recipes you'd care to share during your blog? :smile:

Her father is from Bristol, England and her mother is from New York City (Flushing), they moved up to Cape Breton in 1963. As far as "good Scottish recipes" go, she makes excellent oatcakes and scones, among other things. For Burns Day (Jan.25, birthday of Scottish poet Robert Burns) I try to make vegetarian haggis (a culinary oxymoron if there ever was one) but have not yet got it right.

Where you looking for anything in particular?

Moe Sizlack

maple angelfood cake with maple whipped cream and maple candy:

gallery_28661_4647_7953.jpg

It was a delicious way to stay out of the rain.

Oh my gosh, I would be in heaven with that plate in front of me. I love maple flavored everything and anything. Can you share the maple angelfood recipe???? pretty please?????

Maple Angel Food Cake

1 1/2 cups egg whites (from about 12 eggs), at room temperature

1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/4 cups sugar

1 1/8 cups cake flour, sifted

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

3 tablespoons pure maple syrup

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

In a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or using a hand mixer), whip the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and salt and continue whipping until soft peaks form. With the mixer running, gradually add 1 cup of the granulated sugar and continue whipping until stiff and the sugar has dissolved, about 30 seconds more.

Sift the remaining 1/4-cup of granulated sugar with the sifted cake flour 3 times, to aerate the mixture. Fold into the egg whites, then fold in the vanilla and maple syrup.

Spoon the batter into an ungreased angel food pan or 6 miniature ones. Smooth the top with the back of the spoon. Bake until light golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool by hanging the cake (in the pan) upside down around the neck of a bottle until it cools to room temperature. Run a long, sharp knife blade around the cake to loosen, then knock the cake out onto a plate.

Serve with whipped cream flavoured with Maple Syrup

Maple Syrup Candy

1 cup maple syrup

Place maple in a small saucepan and bring up to 280 degrees F. Dip a spoon into the syrup and drizzle desired shapes onto a sheet pan sprayed with vegetable oil or lined with a silpat. Let cool completely so "candies" come off the sheet pan easily. Eat as is or use as a garnish.

Moe Sizlack

gallery_28661_4647_31930.jpg

My guess is the temperature was about 800 degrees too high - these were clearly has-beans. I now use the electric crockpot.

Has-beans. :laugh: I almost snarfed my drink upon reading this.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

We drove down the south shore to Lunenburg for lunch, it is a unique place with loads of history. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and, among other things, birthplace of the Bluenose schooner, the ship on the Canadian dime. There's loads of tradition here - settlers from Germany leave a legacy of boatbuilding, carpentry, food, etc. Here's what we did:

drove through Mahone Bay:

gallery_28661_4647_24548.jpg

view from restaurant:

gallery_28661_4647_27004.jpg

obligatory lobster tank:

gallery_28661_4647_54852.jpg

deserts and drinks:

gallery_28661_4647_15588.jpg

I had the seafood platter:

gallery_28661_4647_66525.jpg

walking off lunch:

gallery_28661_4647_31074.jpg

some of the street signs:

gallery_28661_4647_42405.jpg

sauerkraut:

gallery_28661_4647_5530.jpg

cranberry farm:

gallery_28661_4647_31003.jpg

making ice cream:

gallery_28661_4647_9706.jpg

much easier than the old way:

gallery_28661_4647_32084.jpg

this is the old way:

gallery_28661_4647_59334.jpg

finnished project:

gallery_28661_4647_32737.jpg

Moe Sizlack

Coffee ice cream, wasn't it?

Was the Thai curry your recipe? I don't think I've ever had celery in any Thai dish. I'm sure I would have happily eaten the dish, though.

Michael aka "Pan"

Coffee ice cream, wasn't it?

Was the Thai curry your recipe? I don't think I've ever had celery in any Thai dish. I'm sure I would have happily eaten the dish, though.

The Thai curry was more of a "use what you have" recipe. I find the red paste from the jar delicious and hard to replicate at home, like ketchup.

The ice cream was chocolate peanut butter cup at the request of our dinner guest. We just got the machine a few weeks ago, I can't wait to put some crazy flavours in it.

Moe Sizlack

is the "lobster crisis" over yet?
I believe the Canadian lobster season started early May, which is why the prices have eased around the Northeast US.

Our local guys are getting US$6 to US$7 per pound at the dock - so that's US$9 at least retail. A lobsterman I talked to Thursday said he's going out quite a ways still, and curiously, found a couple "shedders" (soft shelled, just-molted) in his traps. "A bit early for them," said he.

I want a Tagine...

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I consider gravad lax (gravlax) to be one of the greatest contributions Sweden has ever made to the modern world, ahead of Ikea, ABBA and Mats Sundin. Alright, I'll include Daniel Alfredsson considering he'll be skating around with the Stanley Cup over his head in a few weeks. Can't forget Claes Oldenburg, either.

You haven't even begun to scratch the surface: Volvos, Saabs, Absolut vodka, aquavit and that cheese that's soaked in it, Bjorn Borg, Nobel Prizes....Sweden and Swedes are way cool.

tejon,

You asked about bagged milk - you can see it in the next batch of pix.

gallery_28661_4647_82421.jpg

I assume that the thing on the right in this photo is the bag of milk. What do you do to decant it? Put it in a container or rack and tap it? Cut off a corner and pour it into a pitcher? Buy one of those refrigerator-dispensers like they have in the restaurants?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds this (AFAICT) uniquely Canadian practice fascinating. Anyone know how plastic bags came to be the preferred way to package milk up North? What advantages do they offer over cartons or jugs?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds this (AFAICT) uniquely Canadian practice fascinating.  Anyone know how plastic bags came to be the preferred way to package milk up North?  What advantages do they offer over cartons or jugs?

I'm not sure it's the preferred way . . . maybe it's regional. I don't think it's nearly as popular or available around here as it was when I was a kid.

Peter - is it all bags around there? Or do you have the option of plastic jugs, paper cartons or bags?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds this (AFAICT) uniquely Canadian practice fascinating.  Anyone know how plastic bags came to be the preferred way to package milk up North?  What advantages do they offer over cartons or jugs?

I'm not sure it's the preferred way . . . maybe it's regional. I don't think it's nearly as popular or available around here as it was when I was a kid.

Peter - is it all bags around there? Or do you have the option of plastic jugs, paper cartons or bags?

I can talk for Quebec and Ontario where the options are bags and cartons (very rarely plastic jugs).

We usually place the bag in a container, cut off a small corner of the bag to pour the milk and place the whole thing in the fridge.

When last I worked in the local school system here ('98) in south Louisiana, bagged milk had replaced cartons in school lunches. I had to learn how to drink it from one of the kids in the cafeteria (stab the pointed end of the straw into the bag).

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

QUOTE(Pam R @ May 26 2007, 11:26 AM)

QUOTE(MarketStEl @ May 26 2007, 06:39 AM)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds this (AFAICT) uniquely Canadian practice fascinating. Anyone know how plastic bags came to be the preferred way to package milk up North? What advantages do they offer over cartons or jugs?

Here are the dairy products from my fridge, plus two cartons I pulled out of the recycle bin.

gallery_28661_4647_81110.jpg

As you can see there are many containers to choose from. I think the bags are fairly popular, probably not the most though.

Moe Sizlack

I forgot to ask last time:  Who's Mats Sundin?

Mats Sundin is the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team. They didn't make it the playoffs this year (thats when I switch to the NBA Toronto Raptors) but their cross-province rivals (Ottawa Senators) are in the finals.

Moe Sizlack

Donairs!

Warm up a pita, scrape some meat from a vertical spit into it, squirt with "sauce", add chopped onions and tomatoes. That's a donair - very popular here, also known as gyros (YEE-rows) in other places. The meat is spiced lamb, pork, and/or beef and the sauce is sweet and tangy. Tasty but very messy to eat. They are not exactly health food and I haven't had one in over a decade.

gallery_28661_4647_99126.jpg

gallery_28661_4647_108307.jpg

gallery_28661_4647_66616.jpg

gallery_28661_4647_38113.jpg

gallery_28661_4647_79309.jpg

gallery_28661_4647_56768.jpg

Moe Sizlack

Tuna!

I got some yellowfin tuna steaks earlier this week. They are firm, dark and delicious. One got grilled indoors on an iron skillet and the other was cooked to medium on the BarBQ. Looked like this:

gallery_28661_4647_29618.jpg

gallery_28661_4647_5956.jpg

gallery_28661_4647_66436.jpg

gallery_28661_4647_62303.jpg

This rare piece is on horseradish mayo and a slice of baguette:

gallery_28661_4647_57056.jpg

The next day I did the other piece outside (it stopped raining) and shared it with the kids. I cooked it a bit longer for them, although both ways are fine for me.

gallery_28661_4647_162703.jpg

gallery_28661_4647_50282.jpg

gallery_28661_4647_169496.jpg

gallery_28661_4647_4506.jpg

They liked it! That second piece almost looks like pork to me. The fish monger told me that the tuna was sashimi grade and caught locally. I know there have been some enormous bluefins caught nearby - there's a stuffed one hanging from the ceiling on cables at a B&B in Cape Breton where we stayed once. It was 1200 lbs when caught in the Canso Strait which separates mainland Nova Scotia from Cape Breton. These creatures are very impressive, like underwater missiles. Apparently they swim from one end of the ocean to the other each season.

Moe Sizlack

blueberry pancakes for breakfast:

gallery_28661_4647_73021.jpg

gallery_28661_4647_6017.jpg

We all went downtown. This is the gate to Public Gardens in Halifax:

gallery_28661_4647_174470.jpg

inside the gardens:

gallery_28661_4647_118564.jpg

decorated lobster statues, they are everywhere! What variation on this theme does your city have?

gallery_28661_4647_129084.jpg

this places sells rum cakes:

gallery_28661_4647_11363.jpg

down on the Halifax waterfront. This is where Canada's Naval Memorial The HMS Sackville docks in the summer. Its a WWII corvette, not the Chevrolet kind. I thought it would be there by now but it was not. If you ever get here and tour the ship, check out the ship's bell. My kids names have been engraved on it because they were christened aboard her.

gallery_28661_4647_77023.jpg

Moe Sizlack

decorated lobster statues, they are everywhere! What variation on this theme does your city have?

gallery_28661_4647_129084.jpg

My hometown, Lafayette, Louisiana had pelicans (the state bird). When I lived in Norfolk, Virginia it was mermaids. I worked in Washington, DC and there were donkeys and elephants (symbols of our two major political parties for those outside the US). I honestly can't remember if there have been any here. If there were I suppose they'd be either crabs or sailboats. Maybe blue herons. Of all these, the donkeys and elephants were my favorites.

Bridget Avila

My Blog