• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food for University Students?

Quarki

Hello All!

I'm coming into Toronto next weekend (near downtown). I've tried Peartree and Spring Rolls.

I would like to try Red Lobster, does anyone know how much their lobster fest is going around for?

Also what are some neat places for a student to go to that won't break her wallet?

Hello All!

I'm coming into Toronto next weekend (near downtown).  I've tried Peartree and Spring Rolls.

I would like to try Red Lobster, does anyone know how much their lobster fest is going around for? 

Also what are some neat places for a student to go to that won't break her wallet?

I would pass on RL since it is not cheap. I would suggest you try The One on Yonge north of Dundas on Yonge or Salade King just off Yonge north of Dundas both Thai and cheap and not too bad (lots of students there). There is also a great cheap Vietnamese noodle place on Spadina closer to College for some very good Pho. Others can help me out on this one's name. Its on the west side of Spadina. A very good dumpling place called Mothers Dumplings is also cheap and good slightly north of Dundas and East of Spadina.

officially left egullet....

My favourite Vietnamese place is Saigon Palace just south of the corner of College and Spadina on the west side. Excellent Pho and good spring rolls. Authentic stuff too.

I would also recommend a Banh Mi shop at 322 Spadina Avenue as well. Cheap delicious Vietnamese sandwiches.

You can't go wrong with Chinese savoury and sweet buns, I like the tofu bun from the bakery on the north side of Baldwin. I used to like Kim Moon and the Melewa, but I don't think the latter is there anymore.

The two pizzerias at the corner of Harbord and Spadina, one of which was Cora's, were a staple of my UofT existence.

I would also recommend going out for some Korean on Bloor West west of Bathurst.

There are a couple of okay cheap Falafel/Schwarma shops at Bloor and Bathurst.

There used to be the Roti Palace (I think that is what it was called) on the west side of Bathurst, south of Bloor.

Dim Sum on Spadina and in Kensington is always pretty cheap cuisine.

I am not a big fan of the SpringRolls chain or of Red Lobster. The latter of which I think destroys otherwise good seafood.

If I think of any others, I will add them.

Mark

Also, the brunch buffee special on Sunday at Babur on Queen Street is a good deal for all you can eat Indian Food (I think its 12 bucks). I usually get there around 11:45, just after they open - I think. There are also a few other similar Indian places that are good near there but I have only been to Babur.

officially left egullet....

Thanks, I was going to make an exception on RL because the one that was in "Vancouver" closed down.

Thank you for all your responses.

Do you have a name of "Dim Sum on Spadina and in Kensington is always pretty cheap cuisine"? How much is it there?

Edited by Quarki (log)

Thanks, I was going to make an exception on RL because the one that was in "Vancouver" closed down.

Thank you for all your responses. 

Do you have a name of "Dim Sum on Spadina and in Kensington is always pretty cheap cuisine"?  How much is it there?

Try the Dim Sum at Rainbow Restaurant on Dundas, West of Spadina (very cheap Mon-fri), or if yu're are willing to pay more go to Rol San.

Kensington Market has a variety of cheap ethnic foods. Jamaican patties, sausages, latin american pupusas, empanadas, etc.

Also, another cheap thing for students is Sushi. Many to chose from up at Bloor, between Spadina and Bathurst.

Which college are you closest to?