• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ides of March Meal

srhcb

Other than having men around you who are fat, what might be appropriate fare to commemorate the Ides of March?

Caesar Salad is a given, as well as Julianne Potatos or other vegetables? :smile:

You can drink an Orange Julius. :wink:

Roman Meal Bread would be good. :hmmm:

And, (extra credit if you get this one), Hash? :rolleyes:

SB (just don't be fooled into inviting Yon Cassius, despite his lean and hungry look)

Skewered meat?

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........

a reach , but Red Flannel Hash ?

:huh:

Nooooooo ..... but it's a good guess.

Were togas made out of flannel?

SB :rolleyes:

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........

a reach , but Red Flannel Hash ?

:huh:

Nooooooo ..... but it's a good guess.

Were togas made out of flannel?

SB :rolleyes:

LOL

That's why it was a reach !

:biggrin:

Other than having men around you who are fat, what might be appropriate fare to commemorate the Ides of March?

Caesar Salad is a given, as well as Julianne Potatos or other vegetables? :smile:

You can drink an Orange Julius. :wink: 

Roman Meal Bread would be good. :hmmm:

SB (just don't be fooled into inviting Yon Cassius, despite his lean and hungry look)

OK this is a guess too, but the word 'assassin' comes from Hashshashin. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashshashin. Hence hash is appropriate?

Magnus Pyke has hinted to me that Caesar (remember to pronounce it chess-are-aye or he will become incensed) likes glis-glis very much. What Caesar does, I do. (Seems like there's a quotation missing from my brain that follows those same lines, but nevermind.)

Edible dormice. Petronius says glaze them with honey and roll them in poppy seeds. Delightful!

Apicius says stuff them with a mixture of ground pork, dormouse meat trimmings, pepper, nuts, asafoteida and fish sauce - then roast or broil them. He always was a bit fussier in his recipes than Petronious and they both try to out-dress the other, too. Silk togas, flannel togas, and once even a see-through one made from macrame flax. I won't tell you which fellow that was, or, what happened during the feast when he wore it.

If you can not find any dormice at the market, they can be replaced by small rabbits.

(Edited to correct loose a's and e's :sad: )

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

OK this is a guess too, but the word 'assassin' comes from Hashshashin. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashshashin. Hence hash is appropriate?

That's better than the amswer I had intended, so I'll change my mind and award you the extra credit! :wink:

Perhaps not so coincidentally, Alton Brown made Hash last night on Good Eats:

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper

2 cloves garlic, minced

5 cups leftover Corned Beef and Cabbage, well drained, recipe follows

1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Melt the butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet set over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and cook until it begins to brown slightly, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic, corned beef and cabbage, thyme, oregano and black pepper to the skillet and stir to combine. Once combined, spread the hash evenly over the pan and firmly press down with a spatula. Place a heavy lid, heatproof plate or second pan directly atop the hash and allow to cook until browned, approximately 10 minutes. After 10 minutes stir mixture, press down again, top with the lid and allow to cook another 5 to 6 minutes, or until browned. Serve immediately.

SB (I think it probably had something to do with his St Patrick's Day themed show, but you know how Alton makes a big deal out of multi-tasking? Celebrating two holidays in one! :rolleyes: )

It would be a nice day to taste some wines with grapes from Campania and Sicily in honor of the major wines in Caesar's day. In fact, I am going to an Italian restaurant tonight and will bring this up with the wine guy.

Please do explain the "hash" thing. I did hard time as a Latin teacher and I have no idea what you are talking about.

Edible dormice. Petronius says glaze them with honey and roll them in poppy seeds. Delightful!

Apicius says stuff them with a mixture of ground pork, dormouse meat trimmings, pepper, nuts, asafoteida and fish sauce - then roast or broil them. He always was a bit fussier in his recipes than Petronious and they both try to out-dress the other, too. Silk togas, flannel togas, and once even a see-through one made from macrame flax. I won't tell you which fellow that was, or, what happened during the feast when he wore it.

I'd be quite up for a feast like Trimalchio's - especially with the ceremonial slaying of the stuffed wild boar!

I don't think that fondling the waitors would go down too well these days though...

[

That's better than the amswer I had intended, so I'll change my mind and award you the extra credit! :wink:

OK, but what were YOU thinking?

dockhl, Tess, Carrot Top, The .... Will et al;

Better yet, WHAT was I thinking?

This certainly qualifies as esoterica, but I ran saw this on one of those tv food and travel shows not too long ago and (pun alert! :wacko: ) ran across it again on Wikipedia today while researching the Ides.

"The Ides of March are celebrated every year by the Rome Hash House Harriers with a toga run in the streets of Rome, in the same place where Julius Caesar was killed."

SB (just wondered if anybody else on eGullet had the same odd taste in trivia and late night tv as me? :blink: )

Hamburgers are coming to mind.

And perhaps chips and Doritos and brownies and Cheerios right out of the box, all eaten at midnight and unremembered in the light of day? Is that the appropriate hash?

Or are you referring to the Hash House guys, and is it true that they wear their togas sans culottes as a Scotsman wears his kilt?

Or are you referring to the Hash House guys, and is it true that they wear their togas sans culottes as a Scotsman wears his kilt?

I wouldn't be surprised. They seem like a fun-loving lot? :wink:

A quick search reveals at least One eGullet Member who has participated in their events.

SB :cool:

I'm not sure what I would eat, but I would certainly buy the food at Traitor Joe's.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

In absolute serendipity, the 15-year-old just finished Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, we are having Caesar salade tonight, this a.m. I bought a Nero d'Avola, AND we're chariot-race-deep into Ben-Hur.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

"The Ides of March are celebrated every year by the Rome Hash House Harriers with a toga run in the streets of Rome, in the same place where Julius Caesar was killed."

SB (just wondered if anybody else on eGullet had the same odd taste in trivia and late night tv as me? :blink: )

Sorry---I must have been typing whilst you were posting---didn't mean to step on your toes AFTER you posted this.

Yes. Ours is decidedly odd, all of us. Late night TV---I once won a poetry contest about a lonely woman. They said the deciding line was,

"And closets full of midnight-ordered junk from Ron Popeil." :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what I would eat, but I would certainly buy the food at Traitor Joe's.

None of the food would contain salt, or bread :)

(if you break bread with someone or eat their salt

you swear allegiance, and are not supposed

to betray them? Not sure if that's a Roman

tradition but definitely kicks in further East...)

Milagai

(if you break bread with someone or eat their salt

you swear allegiance, and are not supposed

to betray them?  Not sure if that's a Roman

tradition but definitely kicks in further East...)

Milagai

Isn't that true of rice from the same bowl, also, Milagai?

Will have to stick to the Atkins Diet today, possibly.

Why yes, I do believe it must be so. Atkins Diet.

Upon examination of the text (which of course is not reality but it is the *text* so we do adore it :smile: ) we learn the following:

Upon what meat doth this our Caesar feed,

That he is grown so great?

(From "Julius Caesar"*) (By Willie S.)

(Edited for correction because I transposed without too much thought. So what else is new. :rolleyes: )

Edited by Carrot Top (log)