• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What are you making for Pi Day?

jsmeeker

Pineapple tart in a pignoli crust?

Sounds delicious.

We might have to all be careful not to eat too much though. I told a friend about Pi Day, and he e-mailed me back:

Ha ha ha!  Poor Caesar, full of pie when poked full of holes on the Ides of

March, the next day.

:sad:

Actually, thinking of lemons and kurds and Greek symbols, I might want to combine them all and make a lemon galaktaboueriko (say that fast three point one four times :raz: ). With candied pi napple on the side and roast chili flavored pignolis to nibble too, for a balance of flavors.

Pilates afterwards, bien sur. :huh:

Pi Rules...

"Pithy, piquant."---Pythagoras

"Piacular."--Pius VII

"Moi, je regrette..." --Piaf

It might be fun to let the number for Pi figure ( :wink: ) into as many aspects of the celebration as possible, including formulas in recipes, number of ingredients in fillings of pies (or toppings if pizza pies), guests, size of wedges served and so forth.

Why not ask for volunteers among guests to contribute something in the spirit of Pi along with whatever you prepare. See how creative they get and please, please, report back.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Why not ask for volunteers among guests to contribute something in the spirit of Pi along with whatever you prepare.  See how creative they get and please, please, report back.

I'll bring an appl pi.

SB :rolleyes:

I MISSED IT!!! :angry: Is it ALWAYS Ides-Eve?

Mine woulda been a creamy-dream of a lemon icebox pie, with pale yellow double filling piled high into a Nilla wafer/macadamia crust, and a meringue swirled into ALL the Greek letters, special emphasis on the Omega and Omicron.

A quick shusssh from my new so-big-I-have-to-use-both-hands kitchen torch, and the handwriting's on the plate.

rachel (who finds herself muttering Avogadro's number when navigating heavy traffic) :wacko:

I think I'll make a quiche tonight using 3.14 eggs! But I'll round up to 4!

pi are squared they say

measures something that is round

I'm no good at math

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

I MISSED IT!!! :angry: Is it ALWAYS Ides-Eve?

Mine woulda been a creamy-dream of a lemon icebox pie, with pale yellow double filling piled high into a Nilla wafer/macadamia crust, and a meringue swirled into ALL the Greek letters, special emphasis on the Omega and Omicron.

A quick shusssh from my new so-big-I-have-to-use-both-hands kitchen torch, and the handwriting's on the plate.

rachel  (who finds herself muttering Avogadro's number when navigating heavy traffic) :wacko:

If you don't have time to make pie, maybe you can buy a slice somewhere and enjoy it. :)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Why not ask for volunteers among guests to contribute something in the spirit of Pi along with whatever you prepare.  See how creative they get and please, please, report back.

I'll bring an appl pi.

SB :rolleyes:

Isn't that a new type of computer?

If not, it should be.

In Applesse it would be called the "iPi"

SB (likes Apple, both computers and pies) :smile:

Doh! (pun intended) My daughter reminded me that pizza is a PI! So not only did I make a scallop, onion and mushroom quiche, but also a pepperoni and mushroom pizza! Because as we all know, 2 pi r better than 1!

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Cake, leftover from son's 13th birthday, here. Three layers. Coconut frosting - probably made up the .14 plus a bit but who's gonna count frosting, I want to know. Round cake. Triangular slices. Quite pleasant.

Three people eating, plus a cat and a bunny. Which would make 3.14 except for the bunny. Sad to say. The bunny caused the unbalance. :sad:

I made apple for work, and a square apple rum raisin and a round mixed berry for a party after work. The square said "pi r squared" on top but I forgot my camera! no pictures :( Thanks for the reminders of pie day!

I have had my regular part shortening/part butter recipe, but recently I began experimenting, trying to find a recipe that eliminated the shortening with even flakier and more tasty results. One of those experiments apparently got chucked in the freezer. I made the mistake of thinking it was my original recipe and was not pleased with the results. But the apple pies were made with this Ruth Levy Beranbaum recipe, which was awesome. I might play around with the butter/cream cheese/cream ratios as I missed the flavor of good butter. But the texture and tenderness were worth it.

edit to fix html

Edited by Nina C. (log)

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway

wound up making a key lime pie.

I was going to make something different, but when I went to make my pie dough ahead of time on Monday night, I discovered I had no Crisco (i do a combo of Crisco and butter for my pie doughs). It was late and I wasn't going to run to the store. Since making the dough and the pie on Tuesday would be more than I wanted, I needed an easier crust. So, I started to think about grahm cracker crusts. I still had a bunch of limes lefotver from the weekend's margarita fest. So, the decision was easy.

Turned out nicely, I think. Maybe a *bit* tart, (no sugar other than what is in the sweetened condensed milk), but a bit tart is better than being really sweet, IMHO.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I made a "PI-are-squared" in the form of bread pudding, complete with PIeces of torn-up sweet bread (TJ's pumpkin loaf) as the filler.

Darn tasty, and no PI dough to deal with.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pudding or pie?

Pam Brunning is a regular contributor and if you don't know what to bake, all you need to know is readily available. She wrote about her Rhubarb Pudding as described via the link. It has beeen fully tested and tasted as you will see.

The proof of the pudding .....

The topping produces a unique crust empowered with rhubarb-subtlety. The water added in profusion yields the rhubarb flavoured jelly in the bottom of the dish. The sponge sandwiched between crust and jelly is the most moist that can be imagined. A heavenly trio, to be sure! Pam's contribution to gastronomy must be recognised. For much less, women have been named and damed.

Go to http://www.gastronomyafharrison.co.uk/page162.php for pictures and information.

Alan F Harrison

pam pud.jpg

pam portion.jpg