• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Neely

Lunch 2024

I wanted to thank you @blue_dolphin for the times you have mentioned in reference to the meal you’ve made “The Global Pantry Cookbook”. I finally looked it up ( takes me awhile lol) and was available through Amazon. Sometimes, some books and products aren’t available here in Australia. So I got it through Kindle and it’s a terrific read as well as a recipe informer despite its little quirks. I do have most ‘global’ things that are mentioned in my pantry but we will have to differ on kimchi, maybe I’ve just had bad ones. The other book you mention Tenderheart, well I’ll explore that another time. I like reading recipes but not so good at following them, using them more as a reference to the ingredients I have on hand. Occasionally I’ll shop specifically for ingredients for a particular recipe.
  3. Today
  4. I love this! What a great silver lining! Thanks for the kind words, and the insights. I hope you continue to recover.
  5. Captain

Dinner 2024

Crumbed chicken tenders and salad dressed with salsa.
  6. weinoo

Dinner 2024

A pretty tasty sushi dinner the other night out... Kanoyama. This is what they call their sushi special. The big roll is toro, hotate next to it, and uni/ikura.
  7. I immediately thought that maybe it had something to do with the Key Bridge collapse in Baltimore, but when I looked, turns out most of the bananas arrive at the Port of Wilmington, in Delaware.
  8. RWood

Dinner 2024

Tried a pasta dish from Gordon Ramsey. I looked for something to do with a leek, mixed mushrooms and some tarragon. Found a pasta recipe, used up a bag of pappardelle. Pretty tasty with the tarragon.
  9. I think I ate at Tavern on the Green once, and I'm pretty sure it was post Patrick's tenure there. He was a highly regarded chef, whose food I sadly never got to taste.
  10. anyone knowledgeable in the banana trade? bananas are usually a "mono" crop - huge plantings of the same variety . . . I know there's currently a virus spreading and killing off huge swaths of 'old' plantations - new planting are different strains. reason I ask: at Costco, bought a bunch of "organic" bananas - the eventually go speckled / brown spots skins - but the banana itself did not go mushy/over ripe as the "usuals" do. origin was Columbia - I'm presuming there's new plantations with virus resistant types there?
  11. @Smithy, I wondered where you were. So sorry to hear about your darling. Hope he is recovering, and that you have a safe trip home. When I was in the hospital in February with a broken hip I really resisted going into rehab and was allowed to go home after I proved I could grope my way up stairs and reassured them that my husband was up to the task. If I had suspected rehab had edible food I might have reconsidered. But the hospital food was so dreadful I assumed rehab would be the same. As it is, my husband has made more progress learning to cook in the last couple of months than he has in 40 or so years of living with me. It's so very humbling to be incapacitated.and to rely on someone else to do everything for you. Wish him well. And kudos to you. Being a caretaker is one crazy job.
  12. my favorite Athen's street vendor:
  13. There's a woman in Vancouver who has a successful and well-regarded Thai cooking site. I was referencing something on her site today and came across her video about making Thai-style tacos using easy-to-find supermarket ingredient. I immediately thought of you @ElsieD https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/thai-taco/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EyElhNgsG4
  14. Actually, there is a Whole Foods here and I just checked them out. They carry that brand's Heirloom White Coon Massa as well as the Heirloon Blue Corn Massa.
  15. Thank you for the update. Safe journey home, I'll be following your updates with interest.
  16. Not a lot if you don't use lamb, use corn and disregard the traditional/nostalgic value.
  17. @Smithy The usual response is 'I can't imagine what you're experiencing' however I know exactly what you're experiencing. We're dealing with my 90 year old mother in the hospital and spending a lot of time there. My reaction has been to take on very finicky cooking projects which takes my mind off things or to make one of the comfort/traditional dishes I ate growing up. Best wishes.
  18. BeeZee

Passover 2024

We aren't having our family dinner until the end of next week due to my parents being away. Mom will make brisket and bring in the crock pot to reheat at my house. I am not inclined to make matzoh ball soup this year, I'm feeling like a pureed carrot-based soup would be nice for a change. I've never made one before, but I'm looking at recipes for minas (layered dish made with matzoh, think of the format of lasagna without noodles). Maybe one with spinach/feta. Then some plain roasted yukon golds for the brisket eaters.
  19. Ditto the Masienda masa harina recommendation. This doesn't help @ElsieD in Canada, but for those in the US, Masienda masa harina is available at Whole Foods. Most stores have the white and blue. I've also seen the yellow at my local Whole Foods but not the red. Since I'm usually a solo cook and eater, I like that I can easily scale the recipe to make the number of tortillas I want without having to make a big production out of it.
  20. @Smithy thank you for you update. Im hopefully your full family will return in good health. Ill keep them all mindfully.
  21. We never expected or intended to be there so long. We finally left yesterday, and these pictures show just how much the sunrise had shifted from its position at the winter solstice. Our campfire ring, which we were so pleased to find unmolested when we arrived last November, was just as pristine when we left...not because we did a fine job of cleaning it up, but because it sat unused and forlorn all season. Wind was a frequent interference. Medical issues were the other. I dislike dropping a narrative abruptly, as I did over a month ago, so I'll do a bit of catching up and wrapping up in the next few days. What happened was, my darling was a guest at a hospital, then a rehab hospital, for nearly a month. During that time I drove back and forth from the Princessmobile to the various facilities watching over him. I took care of the Princessmobile, animals, bills, my own self...checked in here on eGullet and continued hosting duties...but did very little in the way of interesting eating. In fact, you could say my cooking was minimmalist and perfunctory. I now understand folks who really want good food, only a little of it, with a minmum fuss and cleanup. @MetsFan5 and her Tovola Smart Oven come to mind. So do folks who participated in the topic @ElsieD started: Help! I've lost my cooking mojo and I want it back! Well, except in my case I was too busy, tired and dispirited to even want it back at the time. Things have turned around since then. I ate a LOT of salads and leftovers. The leftovers were from when my darling was in the hospital and had very little interest in food. I can't say there was much good food to come out of there, although I had an excellent pork chile verde one evening. Even my darling had liked it, but he'd had too little appetite to eat much of it. The rehab hospital, on the other hand, had excellent food at an astonishingly low price. For under $5 I could get a full lunch or dinner, if I wished, while I ate with my darling. i didn't usually want that much, but their green salads were generous and delicious, and their tuna salad was at least as good as anything I could make. I often came home with a clamshell containing the remains of a lunch salad, and ate that for dinner if I hadn't already had enough. One thing I learned at the rehab hospital is that there actually is a bottled dressing that I like. It came in plastic packets in their dining hall, but I discovered I could buy it in a grocery store. Well, it's ALMOST the same thing. I'm a bit surprised and mildly disgruntled at the difference. The bottle needs shaking, and the individual packets don't. I think that's interesting, but haven't really investigated why it is. I also ate, and continue to eat, a LOT of hummus and tabbouli. It took at least one bunch of neglected and thrown away cilantro and parsley before I finally found the mojo to try making the tabbouli, but it's become a staple. Makes a pretty good salad topping,... ...and goes well atop a tortilla chip, with or without hummus. Sometimes this was dinner. The recipes for tabbouli and hummus both come from the cookbook Balaboosta (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), which I bought way back in 2018 and quite forgot until I began looking for tabbouli and hummus recipes from my onboard Kindle collection. I recommend this book. These particular recipes have become my gold standard for the foods in question. My only problem with the tabbouli is that it makes enough for a crowd, and when I'm eating it alone the bulgur gets mushy before I've finished it off. I need to remember to scale down the recipe. During the time we languished in the desert, waiting for my darling to recover enough to travel -- and then waiting for trailer repairs! (but that's another story!) -- I saw the entire bloom-to-seed life cycle of some of our beloved flowers. A few hardy late bloomers like the paloverde trees are just starting to blossom. I don't have any photos of them in their full, frothy yellow glory, but they've been a welcome sight on our road trip. I learned a few things about easy cooking, and will share them in future posts.
  22. Looks like we're safe from this one here on the left coast. I usually get herbs at the farmers market but do occasionally pick up Italian parsley or cilantro at TJ's. Both are from a local grower in Oxnard.
  23. Love that plate (as well as the loaf 😉)!
  24. Mrs. C's sourdough bread. Best one yet! Side note: Mrs. C does glass fusing, and the plate the loaf is sitting on was one of her recent projects.
  25. rotuts

Salad 2016 –

this is my current salad : from TJ's" bagged spinach . it's regular ' baby ' Id like to easily find more mature s[inach , but the MarketBasket savoy is frequently chewed up a bit . Campari tomatoes . I buy them two packs at a time , and they sit on the counter for several days before use. TJ's sauerkraut a large forkful chopped walnut pieces , one of 4 TJ's EVOO I have from MarketBasket : Kimchi again , a large forkful MB carries this brand : Tj's brand comes in a much smaller jar . Im fine w this one and the last item from MB : you spotted it , w those eagle eyes : generic small shredded wheat , for the croutons . I always have them no sodium , or etc. I wouldn't sub them for your homemade version but they work well for me. the kimchi//kraut//campari have enough acid , no vinegar .
  26. Are you one of the "lucky" ones: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/salmonella-outbreak-prompts-trader-joes-recall-herbs-sold-29-states-rcna148356 p
  1. Load more activity