• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago's foie gras list.

As of today, there are at least 46 restaurants in Chicago that serve foie gras as the main ingredient in a dish. Some places serve two or three (Kiki's Bistro is the winner here) different dishes of this rich delicacy. Following is just a short list of restaurants that have foie on their menu (via Chicago Menu Pages).

Alinea

-Foie Gras (hibiscus, licorice, blueberry soda)

Aria

-Foie Gras "two Styles" (seared with brasied rhubarb, strawberry-lavender saucetorchon and sourdough croutons)

-Seared Sea Scallops with Lemon and Gray Salt (layered with foie gras, cauliflower puree and apple jus)

Avenues

-Candycane Crusted Foie Gras (salted ceramel corn, gingerbread powder,eggnog ice cream)

-Foie (popcorn, spice,eggnog)

Blackbird

-Seared Hudson Valley Foie Gras (with pain perdu, huckelberries, and bartlett pears)

Custom House

-Foie Gras (walnut & cranberry pesto, warm pumpkin bread)

Japonais

-Foie Gras Torchon (house made with caramelized granny smith apple, walnut salad and vanilla-tapioca sauce)

-Madako Kimo (monkfish foie gras wrapped with octopus in a house ponzu sauce)

Kiki's Bistro

-Päté De Foie De Canard (Duck liver päté with Toasted Brioche)

-Terrine De Foie Gras (with Fris?e - Walnut Dressing)

-Foie De Veau (Sautéed Calf's Liver with Pearl Onions and Red Cabbage served with a Wine Vinegar Sauce)

Les Nomades

-Sautéed Foie Gras, Caramelized Pineapple, Marcona Almonds, Sauternes Gelée, and Vanilla Clementine Sauce

-Poached Beef Tournedos Rossini, Seared Foie Gras Medallion, Potato Purée and Sauce Périgueux

Naha

-Hudson Valley Foie Gras and Rhubarb-strawberry "tarte Tatin", Organic Crimson Raisins and Minus 8 Ice Vinegar

-Whole Roasted Ranch Squab and Foie Gras (with Black Mission Figs and Thompson Grapes, Cipollini Onions and Green Peppercorns)

NoMI

-Creme Brulee of Hudson Valley Foie Gras (crisp hazelnuts and poppy seeds, toasted brioche)

-Milk-Fed Veal Tenderloin (crispy sweetbreads, hudson valley foie gras, glazed zitoni pasta, parmesan cappuccino)

Spring

-Foie Gras Mousseline (pineapple quice, chamomile & toasted brioche)

Sweets & Savories

-Seared Hudson Valley Foie Gras (Roasted Pineapple, Savory Chocolate Glaze)

-Hamburger (Strube Ranch American Kobe Beef with Foie Gras Pate and Truffled Mayonnaise, Toasted Brioche Roll)

TRU

-Seared Hudson Valley Foie Gras (Summer Corn Blini, Salad of Roasted Corn, Mäche, Fried Shallots)

-Roasted Atlantic Striped Bass (Sautéed Hudson Valley Foie Gras, English Pea Spaetzle, Foie Gras Consommé)

Vintage

-Foie Gras (pan seared canadian foie gras served over caramelized sweet potato with truffled marshmallow)

-Duck, Duck, Goose (a playful mixed grilling of three different preparations, seared breast sliced medium rare, crispy leg confit potstickers and quickly seared foie gras, finished with baby bok choy and a hot and sour duck broth)

Volo

-Cured Foie Gras (pineapple, Thai chilis)

Edited by yellow truffle (log)

I have been unable to find the actual statute passed... does anyone have a link?

The question for me is will European Imports and other distributors be able to sell since they are within the city... undoubtably they also supply the suburbs. Is possession illegal, or just the sale to restaurant customers?

The question for me is will European Imports and other distributors be able to sell since they are within the city... undoubtably they also supply the suburbs.  Is possession illegal, or just the sale to restaurant customers?

Luckily, in this case, the ignorance of the Chicago city council only extends to the city's borders.  We'll continue to enjoy foie gras served in the suburbs, at least for now.  Although, I don't see the state's legislators as being any less ridiculous.

That's what it is now, but if we look at the recent ban on smoking here in Chicago, and observe the rippling effects, you will note that some of the surrounding suburbs followed suite and has imposed a similar ban. <sigh>

I have been unable to find the actual statute passed... does anyone have a link?

The question for me is will European Imports and other distributors be able to sell since they are within the city... undoubtably they also supply the suburbs.  Is possession illegal, or just the sale to restaurant customers?

Although it is not the actual bill, NYT states:

The ban, adopted on a vote of 48 to 1, makes "food dispensing establishments" — restaurants and retail stores — subject to a fine of $500 for selling foie gras. The ordinance, which takes effect in 90 days, will be enforced by means of citizen complaints, said Joe Moore, the alderman who sponsored it.

Psst, call it liver. I won't tell, promise.

http://www.newsmax.com

Thursday, April 27, 2006 9 a.m. EDT

Chicago City Council Bans Foie Gras

The Chicago City Council Wednesday made the city of big shoulders the first in the nation to ban the expensive fatty bird liver delicacy foie gras.

Beginning this June, restaurants must stop selling foie gras, which animal rights activists say is produced by inhumane treatment - force-feeding ducks and geese to enlarge their livers 10 times normal size.

The fact that there are these other issues that are crying out for attention doesn't mean that we can't take a bit of time and address this issue as well, said Alderman Joe Moore, sponsor of the ordinance.

Moore told the Chicago Sun-Times the ban would not cost taxpayers a nickel or affect city services. But Mayor Richard M. Daley said the council should be spending its time on more pressing issues like drug dealing, education, property taxes and corruption rather than deciding what's on a menu.

More than 100 Illinois restaurants had voluntarily signed pledges to stop selling foie gras.

A ban on the sale of fois gras in the state of California goes into effect in 2012

You know, I am almost torn over this. I think it is wrong for anyone to force restaurants to not serve certain items. It's a slippery slope that could lead to mandated maximum fat content, etc. However...the only time I had foie gras, at Aquavit Minneapolis, I thought it tasted like the goo that drains out of a lobster. Other places certainly must do more appetizing preparations, but I wouldn't seek it out, I would try it were it on a tasting menu.

The part of me that thinks this ban is a dangerous precedent cancels out my distaste for foie gras.

Watch out-veal will be next. Remember who promotes this lunacy next time you vote. The more bs like this that happens, the worse it will be for all of us. Once these radical PETA activist types get their foot in the door, we'll start seeing fat taxes at fast food places. Make no mistake, that is what this is all about. And groups like PETA will be seriously encouraged by the Chicago foie gras ban, it will without any doubt lead to more such attacks.

Perhaps restaurants will start becoming BYOF...bring your own foie?

This means there needs to be a "searing" fee instituted. :laugh:

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

actress and animal rights activist Loretta Swit likened force-feeding to the torture of Iraqis at the Abu Ghraib prison.

This woman should be beaten with a stick in the center of Chicago.. Its complete clueless assholes like this that get laws like this passed.. Who would take the time to even care about foie gras.. She then has the lack of understanding to compare a duck to some scumbag terrorist.. How dare she insult a duck like that..

People in Chicago should be embarassed as well as scared to see what is next on these morons agenda..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Is anyone else embarassed by this? How can Chicago be a restaurant destination city when we can't even serve foie gras?

Looks like I need to find a supplier for our New Year's Eve party. Where in the suburbs just north of the city can I find foie gras?

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

People in Chicago should be embarassed as well as scared as to what is next on these morons agenda..

We are.

=R=

Who knows.. I think you need to go to the country clubs to see what is on the minds of the idle rich.. What little pet project they will be cooking up.. Or maybe we should find Charlie Trotter a hobby so he can stop saving the world.. Bravo asshole, you made a difference in Chicago.. Dont trip over that homeless guy on your way to the stage to accept your award..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Or maybe we should find Charlie Trotter a hobby so he can stop saving the world..  Bravo asshole, you made a difference in Chicago.. Dont trip over that homeless guy on your way to the stage to accept your award..

What award? Has he recently won anything that has any merit in the industry? Take a look at the list of James Beard Award 2006 and 2005 (and maybe even earlier) nominees. Charlie Tortter's name does not appear anywhere as "chef," but it does come up as "host," for the TV show "The Kitchen Sessions with Charlie Trotter".

So, has anyone besides me written or emailed Mayor Daley encouraging him to somehow nullify the City Council's well intentioned but hugely misplaced concern for poultry?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Basically just the sale of foie gras is banned in Chicago - says nothing (that I can find) about buying it in the suburbs and consuming it on private property within the city....

Not to get legalistic or technical... so this wouldn't preclude a chef from presenting a foie course as an complimentary amuse? :wink::raz:

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Basically just the sale of foie gras is banned in Chicago - says nothing (that I can find) about buying it in the suburbs and consuming it on private property within the city....

Not to get legalistic or technical... so this wouldn't preclude a chef from presenting a foie course as an complimentary amuse? :wink::raz:

u.e.

Perhaps a restaurant could offer a serving of toast points for $10-20 and offer foie gras as a complimentary accompaniment for the toast points.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Sadly, not that I think it'll make a difference anyway (although I would wish differently), I seriously doubt that the Mayor's Office will take seriously any petitions by non-Chicago residents... non-constituents don't mean diddly to elected officials...

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com