• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekday lunch tasting menu

Alonzo Bishop

Between those 2, I would pick Gagnaire - the dishes prepared by Pierre are generally very interesting (based on the one I ate in HK). Other choices? I would recommend Arpege (it's OK to blow for the food, but not really wise for the wine). L'Ambroisie is wonderful if you love classical preparation (not much experiements by the chef) of French dishes. Hope you have a great one regardless of which place you pick

Between those 2, I would pick Gagnaire - the dishes prepared by Pierre are generally very interesting (based on the one I ate in HK). Other choices? I would recommend Arpege (it's OK to blow for the food, but not really wise for the wine). L'Ambroisie is wonderful if you love classical preparation (not much experiements by the chef) of French dishes. Hope you have a great one regardless of which place you pick

Gagnaire. For what it's worth, found l'Arpege (only twice mind you) not up to the former's standard on the day.... and Arpege was the more expensive option. i.e €750 to Gagnaire's €500ish

ps. we did push the boat out with the wine :smile:

Edited by insomniac (log)

How much is the degustation menu (how many courses) at Gagnaire? Isn't it at least 80% of Arpege's? I agree that L'Arpege is very expensive (slightly above Ducasse collection menu, perhaps only Veyrat can beat this place in terms of price). But last time I ate there, they served me 8 dishes (include the amuse) outside cheese and desserts whereas at Ducasse, I had 4 dishes (with larger portion and solid amuse - their classic langoustine), also exclude chees and desserts. I mean, from that the price per dish is slightly more reasonanle.

I just thought since Alonso is ready to be blown away :biggrin: ... maybe the modern restaurant like Arpege or Pierre would be suitable (given money is not really the main issue in this case).

Gagnaire's tasting menu was 250 euros when I was there in November. 7 courses before the grand dessert, I think. The tasting dishes were much better than the a la carte dishes, in my opinion. There was some really excellent stuff on there, a touch more reined in. I had the carte, so left feeling a little disappointed.

From what I have read, the autumn menu didn't quite pull it off. Any reports from this side of Christmas?

You could always hit Astrance for a weekday lunch? Never been, but I would put that in the Arpege/Gagnaire bracket now.

By the way, you say weekday lunch - do you mean set price lunch or full blown tasting menu?

Gagnaire's tasting menu was 250 euros when I was there in November. 7 courses before the grand dessert, I think. The tasting dishes were much better than the a la carte dishes, in my opinion. There was some really excellent stuff on there, a touch more reined in. I had the carte, so left feeling a little disappointed.

From what I have read, the autumn menu didn't quite pull it off. Any reports from this side of Christmas?

You could always hit Astrance for a weekday lunch? Never been, but I would put that in the Arpege/Gagnaire bracket now.

By the way, you say weekday lunch - do you mean set price lunch or full blown tasting menu?

I am booked for Astrance, as well as Le Meurice (both for lunch). As for Gagnaire it seems all

you nice people who responded only mentioned him and not Savoy (as to my original query).

It will surely be a tasting menu at either. It seems this is the way to go, for sure, at Gagnaire.

Best,

Alonzo

I am booked for Astrance, as well as Le Meurice (both for lunch). As for Gagnaire it seems all

you nice people who responded only mentioned him and not Savoy (as to my original query).

It will surely be a tasting menu at either. It seems this is the way to go, for sure, at Gagnaire.

Best,

Alonzo

how much is astrance lunch menu now??

Overall I prefer Guy Savoy... In fact, during my tour of 3-star Paris restaurants, Guy Savoy was my favorite overall... However, I will say, that if you are doing the LUNCH tasting menu, Gagnaire has the best lunch tasting menu of the two... I don't know if he is still around the restaurant, but when I did the lunch menu there 2 years ago, he came out and chatted with me during my dessert course and then we hung out by the bar after lunch was over for a bit... He's definitely a man obsessed with what people think of his food... Man, I love the French...

Oh, Astrance is great... I've been there a ton of times, the staff are young and uber-professional... Such a great experience... I am thrilled they got their 3rd star so fast!

"Compared to me... you're as helpless as a worm fighting an eagle"

BackwardsHat.com