• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite squid / octopus recipe

Emily_R

Hi all --

Well I am feeling adventurous, and have never cooked squid or octopus... I'd like to try, and was wondering what your favorite recipes are... I am grill-less right now, so I have a preference for slow cooked recipes, rather than quickly-sear-squid-on-grill-and-dress-with-vinaigrette type recipes...

Thanks in advance!

Emily

If you can get whole larger squid for stuffing, the small ones are almost impossible for my hands, then clean and prepare the body leaving the body intact for stuffing. Any grain precooked with a sharp cheese and herbs makes a nice stuffing and then you need to decide on a braising medium. A home made Italian Red sauce is good. Then slow braise with the chopped tentacles thrown in for good measure. Sometimes i add toated pine nuts to the stuffing.

If not up to stuffing, just cut the body into rings and braise as above.-Dick

I am not sure about slow cooked squid or octopus ..I usually barely cook these two ..I cheat a lot and buy blanched octopus at a Japanese market slice it up and eat it that way with dipping sauces or in tacoyaki ...

...but I can tell you if you make a nice pot of marinara and toss in some cleaned calamari rings at the last minute just before serving.. it is absolutely wonderful over spaghetti ...

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

My all-time favorite comes from Babbo:

2-Minute Calamari, Sicilian Lifeguard Style

Although the name is a bit of an exercise in poetic license, the flavors are typical of the area and it's good stuff, done simply and quickly.

ETA: not meaning to ignore your preference for slow methods - but you don't need a grill to do this one!

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

For octopus, I would go with the Koreans and najibokum, a nice stew of octopus with chili paste and chilis....I think they also add chili powder....and some more chilis.

Rub the octopus with salt and rinse.

Fry garlic (sliced), carrot (diagonalled), and onion (coarse chop) in some oil

add the red pepper paste (gojujang), red pepper powder (gojugaru), some soy, sugar, coarse chopped green onion, green chilis, and the octopus, and continue to fry.

You should get a lot of fluid coming out, which will reduce to a nice, thick consistency.

When it's about ready, season with sesame oil and sesame seed and mix it up.

This works well with squid or cuttlefish, but I prefer octopus.

I suggest you do a ,

SQUID CONFIT

4 to 5 pcs(400g) squid of Squid

Grapeseed or olive oil enough to cover the ingredient

4 to 5 nos of whole oil with skin oil lightly blanch in oil

10g of fresh herb like rosemary & thyme

6 nos of white peppercorn bashed it a little

sprinkle of salt

Put in a oven proof stainless steel container cover with foil tightly sealed

, pre-heat the oven to 180%, reduced to 120 to 140 % and put the contaainer in and let it cook for an hour or more in the oven low heat over a long period of time.

Take out from the oven and let it cool in all the ingredient intact.

Give me your feed back.

Edited by Cookwithlove (log)

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

I don't have a recipe, but I love

oijeongo twi gim - squid tempura

and

oijeongo bok um - spicy stir fried squid with mixed veggies.

I also like squid sashimi dipped into chojang. Boiled squid dipped into chojang is good too. When I was little my mother used to make boiled squid for my little sis and I and we would eat it with ketchup because the chojang was too spicy

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

i just did a whole piece on squid cooking (sidebar to bigger piece on squid fishing). generally, cook it either very quickly (less than 2 minutes) or much longer (more than 20 minutes). out website seems to be experiencing difficulties, at least at my end, but i think both stories are still up. recipes were a salad with squid, arugula and shaved fennel, braised squid stuffed with italian sausage (hint: pastry bag is the ONLY way to go); and the fried squid from david pasternack's new book.

A favorite fiesta food from my country and especially from my province is Squid Adobo. Robyn (in here) and her hubby had the good luck of sampling it at my Aunt's house in Cavite city. The freshly-caugh squid is tender and sweet, the sauce wickedly savory and great over rice.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Hi all --

Well I am feeling adventurous, and have never cooked squid or octopus... I'd like to try, and was wondering what your favorite recipes are... I am grill-less right now, so I have a preference for slow cooked recipes, rather than quickly-sear-squid-on-grill-and-dress-with-vinaigrette type recipes...

Thanks in advance!

Emily

Hi Emily. Bleudauvergne has a lovely recipe for octopus. Scroll down to post #253. The Montignac Method, je mange, je maigris - a diary.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

i just did a whole piece on squid cooking (sidebar to bigger piece on squid fishing). generally, cook it either very quickly (less than 2 minutes) or much longer (more than 20 minutes). out website seems to be experiencing difficulties, at least at my end, but i think both stories are still up. recipes were a salad with squid, arugula and shaved fennel, braised squid stuffed with italian sausage (hint: pastry bag is the ONLY way to go); and the fried squid from david pasternack's new book.

Here's the link to the article by Russ: click

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Squid, stuffed with pork meat, herbs, shallot, and garlic and then slow braised on a low heat for an hour and a half to two hours in a tomato sauce is divine!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?