• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomato Chutney

Suvir Saran

Your pictures had my mouth watering for the chutney. We had some with Dosas today for lunch.

My father was excited about the prospect of having home made Dosas. 

Suvir:

Although this is a subject perhaps for another thread, does this mean your dad is allowed to have homemade food now? Is he eating better? I sincerely hope the love in the dosas and the chutney proves curative :smile:

Best,

Katie

P.S. I shall be looking up this thread in summer when the ugly lumpy but delicious Jersey tomatoes are at their ripest and most abundant and test driving this for myself!

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

FoodMan,

Your pictures had my mouth watering for the chutney. We had some with Dosas today for lunch.

My father was excited about the prospect of having home made Dosas.  My sister made the best I have eaten thus far.  The Sambhaar (the lentil and vegetable stew) and the Coconut Chutney were superlative.  The potato filling she made was nice... not traditional, but tasty and fun.  She had added peanuts into her potato filling. I have seen that in the past, but not something I do to mine.

The Dosas tasted great with the tomato chutney.

Makes me want to come back to NYC.. so I can make some more....

Funny thing, I had a similar thing for lunch (sort of?) I left wotrk and drove to my apartment because I ahd some fried Colombian Empanadas . Guess what I ate them with? This great tomato chutney. Talk about fusion.... :biggrin:

Glad to hear from you and your family Suvir

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Query: Canned tomatoes for this raved-about chutney -- blasphemous in summer -- permitted in winter?

Reading all these posts today, I have barely been able keep the drool off my computer keyboard.... Right now I am watching the snow fall on Manhattan and wondering whether one can make a decent version of this chutney with canned tomatoes, e.g., Muir Glen brand (diced, or whole)....Anyone tried it yet?

With thanks to all who have contributed tips, acted as guinea pigs, and sent chortles down the wires.....

p.s. I've been eating Hampton Chutney Company's tomato chutney for some time now, delishuss on roasted cauliflower or with zucchini pancakes...Can't wait to try this one, however.

It is fine to use canned tomatoes in the summer as well. But why would you?

If you cannot find any, sure thing, go ahead and use them.

As for Hampton Chutneys tomatoc chutney, it is terrible. As much as I rave about their Dosas, their chutneys are an embarassment to the genre. At least from my humble perspective.

Suvir:

Although this is a subject perhaps for another thread, does this mean your dad is allowed to have homemade food now?  Is he eating better?  I sincerely hope the love in the dosas and the chutney proves curative  :smile:

Best,

Katie

P.S.  I shall be looking up this thread in summer when the ugly lumpy but delicious Jersey tomatoes are at their ripest and most abundant and test driving this for myself!

He is back home.. so he can eat home food.

But how long for? WHo knows..

Now back to food... He ate very little of the dosa.. but it made him smile.

Suvir, I *do* realize that the Hampton Chutneys are nowhere in the right league...just lazy sometimes, when I don't want to eat Palak and can't get to Kalustyan's or make my own...trying desperately for redemption!

Shall try the canned tomatoes, since it's likely to be quite some time before tasty fresh ones appear.... (fingers crossed!).

Four pints of chutney cooling on the counter - lids popped reassuringly. Made with hot-house toms. I'll let you know how I find it but I have nothing to compare it with so it will be pretty darn subjective.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Four pints of chutney cooling on the counter - lids popped reassuringly.  Made with hot-house toms.  I'll let you know how I find it but I have nothing to compare it with so it will be pretty darn subjective.

And??? :rolleyes::smile:

Sorry to keep you in suspense but life has been pretty hectic and worriesome lately and I had to rush off before I even tasted it! Yes, it's excellent and here's my daughter's take on it when I asked if she'd like another jar!

"Yes yum more chutney please."

Why, oh why did I only make 4 pints?

Anna N

Edit to add: The Dane ("I'm not much for Indian food.") Just polished off a large bowl of it!

Edited by Anna N (log)

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Edit to add:  The Dane ("I'm not much for Indian food.") Just polished off a large bowl of it!

Anna, I did not want to push you... hope things settle down for you...

What did The Dane eat it with? I am glad it met his approval.

As for your daughter, she seems to be a die hard fan of Indian food....

I am glad the tomatoes worked well for you....

Edit to add:  The Dane ("I'm not much for Indian food.") Just polished off a large bowl of it!

Anna, I did not want to push you... hope things settle down for you...

What did The Dane eat it with? I am glad it met his approval.

As for your daughter, she seems to be a die hard fan of Indian food....

I am glad the tomatoes worked well for you....

Eat it with? We didn't have time to worry about a "with". It simply got spooned out into a bowl and devoured!

Yes, my daughter loves "Indian" food and so does her husband. In quotes because I don't think they have had much experience with the real thing.

Anna N

My 2004 eG Blog

Does it ever end? 8 more jars made today and already most of them spoken for. How about a franchise deal, Suvir?

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...
Does it ever end?  8 more jars made today and already most of them spoken for.  How about a franchise deal, Suvir?

Anna, have you made any more?

What did you do with the chutney that was not spoken for?

Have any ideas for the rest of us that have this chutney?

• 3 months later...

Thought it's time to bring this thread back to the top. Hopefully I will be making a batch this weekend since I ran out this week and the market has some very nice ripe tomatoes.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

fb26b060.jpg

This week's batch..

Dinner constituted of rice, raita and lots of chutney.

FM

You seem to have become like me. I love eating plain basmati rice (boiled of course) with this chutney. Raita is the only other item, if I am not too lazy. Some friends add a little ghee to the rice.

Thanks for the photograph. It is beautiful and the bottles look great. Do you leave them to cool overnight before cleaning and sealing them with the screw top? I do that... but wonder always what others do.

This chutney is sublime.  It would be even if making it hadn't been such a pleasure.  An adventure too, since this was my first attempt at canning anything.

The preparations were part of the fun.  At Suvir’s recommendation, I went to Foods of India for the spices I didn’t have on hand; then to Zabar’s for 1/2 pint canning jars.  I also picked up a canning kit with a wide-mouthed funnel, a jar lifter and a few other toys I didn’t get to use this time.

The mise en place was also a joy.  The spices are so beautiful! I’ve tasted fenugreek and curry leaves but never cooked with them; the aroma after the leaves hit the hot oil is one of the best kitchen smells ever.

I was conservative with the cayenne, and needn’t have been; with 1 Tbs the chutney has a warm glow but I'd like more heat.  I’ll also cook it less next time: due to various distractions, I let the chutney simmer for 2.5 hours, and think I prefer how it tasted at just 2 hours - all the spices came together, but you could tell each was there.  Longer-cooked, the flavor is roastier and more intense.  Actually, I like both. And my kitchen smelled incredible throughout.

Shortly before the moment of truth,  I realized that the turkey roaster I planned to use for processing wasn’t deep enough.  So I improvised with 2 big stockpots, bumbling through the choreography of sterilizing, lifting, filling, lidding, etc. By the end I was pretty efficient, and I found the whole process enormously satisfying.

I checked numerous sources for canning instructions.  They were all different, no surprise.  Sterilize the jars, says one expert.  Don’t bother if the filled jars will be processed for more than 10 minutes, says another.  Leave them in the water to cool.  Remove them immediately and let them cool on a board or towel.  Etc.  I doubtless overcompensated, sterilizing everything for 10 minutes and then processing for 20.  After I took the jars out of their water bath, each one went ‘pop’ as the vacuum seal happened. So I don’t think I’ll make anyone sick.

This morning I spread some chutney on a warm pita for breakfast.  It’s outstanding, and very beautiful with its black mustard seeds suspended in burnished red. 

Now all I have to do is decide who’s been good enough to deserve a jar of this marvel – and plan my next canning adventure. 

Many, many thanks to Suvir for posting his gorgeous recipe, encouraging me to try it, and holding my hand throughout. 

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Edit: I started with eight pounds of ripe red beefsteaks, and ended up with eight half-pint jars.  Do try this!  It's very easy to make, and utterly absolutely delicious.

CathyL, have you made any this summer? I have not seen you on eGullet too often lately. Wonder how you are and if you have been canning in general. Hope you have. I have enjoyed the fruits (chutney) of your labor. :smile: Keep us posted on any chutney stories you may have. :rolleyes:

Suvir, the jars in the picture are sealed and cooled already. I only put the screw tops on while processing in boiling water and remove them after the jars are sealed and cooled and that's how I store them. This way in the rare case where a jar goes bad the top will just pop of on its own due to gas and you could immediatly tell not to eat it.

Oh yes, my rice was also cooked with Samen (Ghee/clarified butter)

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Suvir, the jars in the picture are sealed and cooled already. I only put the screw tops on while processing in boiling water and remove them after the jars are sealed and cooled and that's how I store them. This way in the rare case where a jar goes bad the top will just pop of on its own due to gas and you could immediatly tell not to eat it.

FM

Live and learn.:smile:

You are soooo smart.

FM

Live and learn.:smile:

You are soooo smart.

Thanks. :biggrin:

However, I really cannot take credit for this bit of info, I learned it in one of Alton Brown's "Good Eats" episodes.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

This thread is tempting!!! I can’t wait to try out this wonderful recipe. I don’t know the canning process. :blink:

Suvir, if I make a small batch of this chutney, how long it will stay in the refrigerator without the canning process? Also, I have never used canola oil. Is it ok to use corn oil or olive oil in this recipe? Which is the best alternative? Or I must purchase canola oil? How about using Roma tomatoes? Please clarify my doubts. Thanks for your time. :smile:

Red Pepper

My Workshop

This thread is tempting!!! I can’t wait to try out this wonderful recipe.  I don’t know the canning process.  :blink:

Suvir, if I make a small batch of this chutney, how long it will stay in the refrigerator without the canning process? Also, I have never used canola oil.  Is it ok to use corn oil or olive oil in this recipe?  Which is the best alternative?  Or I must purchase canola oil?  How about using Roma tomatoes?  Please clarify my doubts.  Thanks for your time.  :smile:

Use corn oil or any other vegetable based oil with little flavor of its own.

Olive oil will leave too much of its own flavor.

Canning is very easy. If you want to can these jars, PM me, email me or call me, and I shall gladly assist you in doing it for the first time. You will soon become a pro.

A small batch of this chutney if cooked to the correct stage, will last for at least a couple of months. But to be safe, lets assume at least two weeks.

Canned chutney lasts as long as you want it to.. and if a bottle or to spoil, you can throw them away... you will still have plenty.

It is easy to prepare, delicious and the canning part makes it something you can share with family and friends.

Use any tomatoes you find. But only buy the most fresh and ripe tomatoes. At a pinch, canned tomatoes work well too. But again, use nicer canned tomatoes.

I think, I have not studied the begining of this thread in a very long time, but CathyL had posted about her experience with canned tomatoes. It works out very close and still delicious and a chutney to be proud of.

All the best with your tomato chutney adventures. Post here with any questions. And if you want, email me, and I can set up some time for me to go over canning details with you. It is an easy process. I believe on this thread, we may have had links to sites that explain canning in detail.

Keep us posted. :smile:

Use corn oil or any other vegetable based oil with little flavor of its own.

Olive oil will leave too much of its own flavor.

Canning is very easy. If you want to can these jars, PM me, email me or call me, and I shall gladly assist you in doing it for the first time. You will soon become a pro.

A small batch of this chutney if cooked to the correct stage, will last for at least a couple of months. But to be safe, lets assume at least two weeks.

Canned chutney lasts as long as you want it to.. and if a bottle or to spoil, you can throw them away... you will still have plenty.

It is easy to prepare, delicious and the canning part makes it something you can share with family and friends.

Use any tomatoes you find. But only buy the most fresh and ripe tomatoes.  At a pinch, canned tomatoes work well too.  But again, use nicer canned tomatoes.

I think, I have not studied the begining of this thread in a very long time, but CathyL had posted about her experience with canned tomatoes. It works out very close and still delicious and a chutney to be proud of.

All the best with your tomato chutney adventures. Post here with any questions. And if you want, email me, and I can set up some time for me to go over canning details with you.  It is an easy process.  I believe on this thread, we may have had links to sites that explain canning in detail.

Keep us posted. :smile:

Thank you very much. I will go ahead with corn oil.

How nice of you to offer assistance in canning! But wait a minute. I think I missed those links posted in this thread regarding canning. Let me read this thread completely and I will get back to you if I have any doubt in canning procedure.

I thought I was ready to make the chutney, but just realised that I don't have cayenne. I have crushed red peppers, red chilli powder(not paprika), kashmiri chilli powder, fresh thai green chillies. Any of these can be substituted for cayenne? :rolleyes:

Also, I wonder why we should use canned tomato paste in this recipe? I was under the impression that canned foods, once opened and cooked, should be finished as soon as possible? So in this case, we open the canned tomatoes, cook it, again can it and keep it for long time? As a lot of you tried this recipe already, I hope no hazards in doing that! :laugh:

Red Pepper

My Workshop