• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Super Bowl

Daniel

I also vote for the mini pork tenderloin sandwiches for Indiana.  You can't beat that unless you want to make little cubes of corn mush. (only a joke by the way).

I have family from Indiana and their love of pork tenderloin sandwiches is well known.

Stay tuned on the mini porkies. They will be coming up shortly. :raz::biggrin:

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

There have been numerous inquiries and discussions on the many food related Internet forums including this one about serving snacks for Super Bowl parties centered on the signature foods of the two cities, Chicago and Indianapolis. It seems most can quickly suggest the famous Chicago deep dish pizza or the Chicago style hot dogs for Chicago but then most people outside the Hoosier state are stumped about Indianapolis. I'm drawing the line and making my suggestion. It is not corn or popcorn, it is not fried chicken, it is not beans and corn bread, it is not green bean casserole, and save the sugar cream pie for dessert. It is the famous Indiana breaded pork tenderloin sandwich - a sandwich that has its roots in Indiana and is very popular throughout the breadbasket Heartland of the Midwest, but is relatively unknown beyond.

The problem is the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich is one giant of a sandwich if done right to live up to its reputation and will fill you up, muscle out other snacks and have you napping by the fourth quarter of the big game. I don't think anyone wants that. So, to make it more feasible, here is the mini pork tenderloin sandwich appetizer. What is it? It is a mini deep-fried breaded pork tenderloin sandwich of about a minimum of 2 inches to not more than 4 inches in size and served with small dinner rolls. If in Chicago you could substitute the dinner rolls with crustless white bread and slather them with gravy, but please don't. As you might infer it is not a signature food for Chicago in the way I am preparing them.

I have presented many breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches and how they are prepared in porktenderloinsandwich.com so we can skip the basics and concentrate on the differences.

I started with a package of pork tenderloins. They typically come packaged in pairs and weigh a bit over a pound each. Normally I can get about four sandwiches out of one tenderloin but in making the mini I found I could easily get twelve or more tenderloin pieces out of one by simply cross cutting pieces not more than 3/4 inches thick. Pounded flat the ranged from nearly 3" by 4" from the thickest part down to about 2" x 3" toward the end. They ended up about 1/4" thick on the average with three quick poundings with my favored Marples mallet. They were just right for the small 2" x 2" dinner rolls.

Marinating and breading was the same as for the larger standard pork tenderloin sandwiches. In frying I found I could batch fry several at a time in my fryer anywhere from four to six. I used a deep fryer but I think these are small enough that you could easily fry them in a skillet. I fried them 3minutes at 360 degrees F.

Here is the result. I don't say bon appetite. I say just dig in and enjoy! :smile:

SuperBowlMiniTenderloins.jpg

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

Hmm..  Maybe little corn dog bites might be cool.. But that Chicago Italian Beef is really what I am after..

Daniel,

I know that you work in or near Elizabeth. Have you ever been to J's Beef in Linden? A fairly new place that serves Chicago Italian Beef and Chicago Hot Dogs. Barbecue also. The owner is from Chicago and everything he serves is authentic. The ingredients for the Chicago Hot Dogs are shipped in from Chicago. They do catering as well. But if you would rather make everything for your party, you should still stop in for lunch one day. Tommy has a review on his site. http://www.tommyeats.com.

John the hot dog guy

We had our pre-Super Bowl Party on the radio show I work for, and I made Italian Beef in a Blanket (with a peppery, vinegary jus for dipping). Mini Honey-Coated Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches, and Cayenne/Cinnamon Brownies.

I'm just a phone-screener and occassional voice on this sports-talk show, but the boys like my cooking. We talked about the ways that you can turn any food into Super Bowl fare by making it 1) mini, 2) in a blanket, 3) spicy, 4) a dip, or 5) a pizza (and of course it must be beer-compatible!). I was very flattered by all the drooling. I even had my own theme music! :raz: Anyway, Thanks for the ideas. Everone here appreciates it.

I'll try and post pics soon. I've never done it before, but we'll give it a go this weekend.

Edited by emilyr (log)

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Yeh, I totally agree with you on the beer thing. I have abandoned the idea of doing totally Chicago and Indi things.. Firstly, i want to make other things, and secondly, my friends are more into gambeling, playing cards, and drinking then caring about some theme.. In fact, I might even take crap for having a theme the more I think about it..

So here is the final menu.. The cold will be

1)Pickeled Shrimp 2)Popcorns w/ duck fat, onions, cayenne 3)Chips and Salsa

4)Deviled Eggs 5)Pimento Cheese 6)Cheese plate 7)Marcona almonds

8)Pistachios 9)Homemade Potato Chips 10)Friends clam dip

Hot will be:

1)Wings 2 ways (Stuffed with blue cheese and thai) 2)Mini Empanadas 2 ways (Chicken and cheese and Picadillo) 3)Chicago Pizza 4 ways 4)Mac and CHeese w/bacon

5)Chili with nachos and sides

Sandwiches will be:

1)Pork Belly 2)Chicharrones 3)NO BBQ Shrimp Sandwiches 4)Serrano Leg

I had to get rid of the Chicago Beef Sandwich because I purchased too much Pork Belly.. .I have 12 pounds of pork belly which is going to be enough meat for the 12 guests showing up..

Dessert

1)Brownies

2)Sweet potato pie

3)Big ol messy chocolate cake

gallery_15057_2971_42772.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

1)Pickeled Shrimp   

4)Deviled Eggs  5)Pimento Cheese   

4)Mac and CHeese w/bacon

5)Chili with nachos and sides

Sandwiches will be:

1)Pork Belly  3)NO BBQ Shrimp Sandwiches

. .I have 12 pounds of pork belly which is going to be enough meat for the 12 guests showing up..

Dessert

1)Brownies

2)Sweet potato pie

3)Big ol messy chocolate cake

gallery_15057_2971_42772.jpg

Woo, Daniel! You could be throwing this party anywhere South of the M/D!!

Devilled eggs, Paminna Cheese and Sweet Tater Pie!!! I just cannot tell you.

I hope y'all have a wonderful time tomorrow---we went on a service call to Chicago one day this week, first time I'd ever seen that humongous Sears Tower. In daytime, you could see a BIG cloud of steam coming up below one of the big white antennas. When we returned after dark, one side of the tall poles had a white light on it, and the other one was illuminated in a BRIGHT Colts blue.

All the way across the city, the ONLY Bears thing we saw besides about three crawl-boards, was a little sign on a piece of construction paper on a cubicle, topped by a little mylar football balloon.

THEN, coming home and getting back into town, almost EVERY building we passed on I-465 was lit up by BLUE spotlights, making the walls glow blue all the way up. There's a frenzy going on, with parties and signs and BIG gatherings, lots of blue-painted faces and flags on vehicles---I've never SEEN such a furor.

And---OT---each time I see your handwriting, I'm tempted to get out something written by my Dad and show you---it's uncannily alike. And nice to see.

We aren't sports fans, so tomorrow, we're gonna go out somewhere---there won't be any crowds.

we need more pictures of handwritten lists on eGullet! I was enjoying snowangels lists on the soupblog, and now I see this one! Lists give you such an interesting little peek inside the head of the home-cook.. see how the mind is organized.

So, Daniel? How did it go?

How did you finally prepare the porkbelly for the sandwiches (Interested because I ordered a huge slab or porkbelly from Niman Farms for the cassoulet I made New Year's Eve and have a ton of it left hanging out in the freezer.)?

Your menu looked fabulous. Did you take photos of this spread to share with us all?

Donna

What she said.

Only I don't have any pork belly hanging out in the freezer or anywhere else. I never heard of it except on the stock market---they were right on there with the soybean futures---til you did that porkarama last year.

I would like to see it, though. Just watching y'all's energy perks me up.

Well I didn't think my lame couple of pictures would be it but here they be

cold snacks

gallery_23695_426_164984.jpg

yer basic wings

gallery_23695_426_433738.jpg

oven cooked ribs with homemade dinner rolls

gallery_23695_426_491822.jpg

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I am really sorry to say, I was unable to take photos of the spread. Its a double upset because I had no photos of the guests either.. The weekend was really stressfull because both of the ladies had the flu.. I was left to prepare most of the feast myself.. This is how I did it.

Friday I made the chili, the picadillo and the pickled shrimp..

The chili was ground beef with tomato sauce, ancho chile,onion, garlic and cumin. On the day of the Super Bowl I set up a Slow Cooker on a table.. There I put the chili and made a taco bar.. Hard shell tacos, salsa, shredded lettuce, pickled jalapenos, bacon, cheese, a crema..This was a big hit..

The Picadillo was a family recipe of Miss A. In ground beef I added raisins, olives, sugar, peppers, and onions.. On the day of the super bowl I made empanada dough.. Using Leaf Lard.. I used miss Rachel D's empanada maker.. The fried up so pretty and the dough was just awesome. I served this with a garlic mojo..

I also used Frank Stitt's pickled shrimp recipe.. 5 pound of shrimp with olive oil, lemon juice, fennel seeds, star anise, hot dried peppers, celery seeds and bay leaves..

On Saturday Miss A made a couple of really nice desserts.. Rocky Road Brownies and this flourless chocolate cake.. The cake had 1 lb of chocolate and 12 eggs..We used the batter of the cake to ice the cake as well..

Saturday I also made the pimento cheese from Stitt.. This was cheddar mixed with homemade mayo and roasted red peppers.. I served this surrounded by Saltine Crackers.

I also stuffed 7 lbs of chicken wings with blue cheese.. And made a blue cheese dressing with creme fraiche and a ton of blue.. Thinned it out with some cream..

I also made a mac and cheese with double smoked bacon.. The cheddar I used was an extra sharp aged white.. Good stuff..

On Sunday, I made the Egullet NO BBQ Shrimp.. I deshelled five pounds of shrimp... Added more butter then the recipe called for.. I had this on a steam tray next to a bunch of halvded hollowed out sub rolls. .This way guest needed to only spoon shrimp into the long hollowed out roll.. Was a big hit..

I also had a cheese table..It had epoisse, exploratore, goats, blues..

The serrano leg was on a table that had toasted Cuban Bread, Marcona Almonds in Oil and Salt, Manchego cheese, and a good Spanish Olive Oil.. It was fun to see everyone playing with the leg.. Playing I mean slicing and eating.. People were very happy with it..

The pork belly I started early Sunday.. I deskinned the entire belly.. I then seared the belly and deglazed with maple syrup and vinegar.. I added more maple syrup after adding veal stock and submerging the belly.. Cooked it for 8 hours or so.. Then shredded the belly and served on a steam tray.. People were making pork taco and sandwiches.. The sandwiches were topped with cilantro.. Also with the pork belly I had the skin, here I salted the skin and sliced the back side.. Let some of the moisture out and then deep fried.. This was a huge hit too. Fried pork skin, fahgedaboutit..

My buddy made a clam dip..

I made deviled eggs.. With cayenne,white peps, apple cider vinegar, little mayo.. Topped with paprika..

People were really stuffed in the beginning since they all showed up around 3.. So I waited for half time to bring out the CHicago Pizza and the Wings..

The pizza was a super buttery crust that was stuffed with sliced mozzarella, a layer of pepperoni, then sausage, then green peppers.. Topped with san marzano tomatoes..

The wings were served with the Original Anchor Bar Sauce.. This is my favorite basic wing sauce..

Everything went over very well.. People were overly stuffed and happy... Really am sorry there are no photos..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Whoops I also made a popcorn that had fried onions and duck fat.. I basically fried up some onions in duck fat, a little before the onions were carmalized I threw in some popcorn kernals.. They popped up nicely and combined with the onions.. I added cayenne, white pepper, and a lot of salt..

Just got sent a couple of photos.. This is one of my buddies slicing the leg..

gallery_15057_2971_106383.jpg

Here is another one of my friends who took a to go sandwich.. Notice that brown paper bag in his pocket too.. Thats pork.. Haha..

gallery_15057_2971_57678.jpg

Here was the bacon for the taco bar or the mac and cheese

gallery_15057_2971_163345.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Daniel, what an amazing home-cooked feast. You have so much energy, my goodness. How much shrimp did you deal with? How large was that pork belly?

The wings, you stuffed each one?

I wish you had photos so I could see the chili, the belly, the pizza, the empanada (not really sure what these are) - well all of it really!

Hope your ladies are healing up nicely. My bug is still holding on tightly to me - I'm going to see the doc today.

With the lure of all this great food, you could - almost - get me to watch the superbowl some day. :biggrin:

On the day of the super bowl I made empanada dough.. Using Leaf Lard.. I used miss Rachel D's empanada maker.. The fried up so pretty and the dough was just awesome. 

I also used Frank Stitt's pickled shrimp recipe.. 5 pound of shrimp with olive oil, lemon juice, fennel seeds, star anise, hot dried peppers, celery seeds and bay leaves..

Saturday I also made the pimento cheese from Stitt.. This was cheddar mixed with homemade mayo and roasted red peppers.. I served this surrounded by Saltine Crackers.

I also made a mac and cheese with double smoked bacon.. The cheddar I used was an extra sharp aged white.. Good stuff..

Fried pork skin, fahgedaboutit..

I made deviled eggs.. With cayenne,white peps, apple cider vinegar, little mayo.. Topped with paprika..

I've been just reading and reading, wishing I'd been there to help---I'm a good hand in the kitchen.

All the food sounded scrumptious, but these just brought back Football Sundays Down South---all the above spread out on the table for munching all during the game. I seemed to be the only girl in the neighborhood growing up, and our house was the gathering place for all the games, with a nice tableful of goodies---even then, I wasn't a sports person, and would disappear with a book til the plates needed re-filling. A coupla these afternoon gatherings, and every Good Ole Boy in town was at my beck and call, for carburetor fixings, for tire-changings, for dog-washing if I'd asked.

We DID watch the last 12 minutes or so, after we got home from the movie.

Daniel YOU DID GOOOOODDDD!!!

And sweet sleep and recovery to your ladies.

I am really sorry to say, I was unable to take photos of the spread. Its a double upset because I had no photos of the guests either.. The weekend was really stressfull because both of the ladies had the flu.. I was left to prepare most of the feast myself.. This is how I did it.

Have you checked out The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook from late 2006 yet? Their recipes remind me of those in Stitt's book (which I also like) but it is different enough that I want both in my collection. I borrowed the book from the library and want to make everything in it. The authors are from Charleston, so there are quite a few Low Country dishes.

Thanks for sharing your Super Bowl feast. I want some picadillo empandas with garlic mojo!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Daniel, what an amazing home-cooked feast.  You have so much energy, my goodness.  How much shrimp did you deal with?  How large was that pork belly?

The wings, you stuffed each one?

I wish you had photos so I could see the chili, the belly, the pizza, the empanada (not really sure what these are) - well all of it really!

Hope your ladies are healing up nicely. My bug is still holding on tightly to me - I'm going to see the doc today.

With the lure of all this great food, you could - almost - get me to watch the superbowl some day.  :biggrin:

Yeh, I didnt really do too much watching of the Super Bowl. But it was certainly a fun time. I peeled a total of 10lbs of shrimp.. It took a while.. I timed one of the 5 pound bags and it took about 30 minutes. It was kind of relaxing in a way.. Stuffing 7lbs of chicken wings was a little annoying towards the end..

Thanks, they are still sick and somehow I avoided there colds.. They have been hanging out together and I have been sent to the couch..

Feel better Shaya..

On the day of the super bowl I made empanada dough.. Using Leaf Lard.. I used miss Rachel D's empanada maker.. The fried up so pretty and the dough was just awesome. 

Fried pork skin, fahgedaboutit..

I've been just reading and reading, wishing I'd been there to help---I'm a good hand in the kitchen.

All the food sounded scrumptious, but these just brought back Football Sundays Down South---all the above spread out on the table for munching all during the game. I seemed to be the only girl in the neighborhood growing up, and our house was the gathering place for all the games, with a nice tableful of goodies---even then, I wasn't a sports person, and would disappear with a book til the plates needed re-filling. A coupla these afternoon gatherings, and every Good Ole Boy in town was at my beck and call, for carburetor fixings, for tire-changings, for dog-washing if I'd asked.

We DID watch the last 12 minutes or so, after we got home from the movie.

Daniel YOU DID GOOOOODDDD!!!

And sweet sleep and recovery to your ladies.

Hey thanks Miss Rachel.. I have been doing the Super Bowl at my place for the last few years.. Its nice to be the place where people want to come.. Thanks for sharing those great memories..

Have you checked out The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook from late 2006 yet? Their recipes remind me of those in Stitt's book (which I also like) but it is different enough that I want both in my collection. I borrowed the book from the library and want to make everything in it. The authors are from Charleston, so there are quite a few Low Country dishes.

Thanks for sharing your Super Bowl feast. I want some picadillo empandas with garlic mojo!

I have not but I will order it today.. Thanks.. I will share my picadillo recipe on here if you guys want..

Again sorry for the no photos.. I am planning Lamboree for the Spring.. I will definitely have photos of that..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I have not but I will order it today.. Thanks.. I will share my picadillo recipe on here if you guys want..

Again sorry for the no photos.. I am planning Lamboree for the Spring.. I will definitely have photos of that..

Great, hope you enjoy it! The book has a great layout and the Lee Brother's have a backstory you might enjoy as well. Their hometown is Charleston, SC but they launched their career in food by starting a Boiled Peanut business in the Lower East Side! :smile:

Who could pass up on an offer to see a family recipe for picadillo? Thankyou!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"