• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Beef

mjr_inthegardens

I have to buy the beef for Christmas dinner for my family coming into NYC from Illinois.

I am a little confused on what to order from my butcher however.

In the UK (where I was raised), we would order a sirloin joint on the bone. Delia Smith for instance suggests "The cut of beef for roasting is of great importance – if it's a very special occasion I would go for a sirloin joint on the bone with the fillet still in it."

What is this cut of beef called in the US? I want to make sure I am getting the right thing!

My usual butcher is Los Paisanos on Smith St in Brooklyn. Staubitz butcher is also a block away from there.

Any assistance / suggestions on this point would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

MJR

edited for punctuation

Edited by mjr_inthegardens (log)

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

In the UK (where I was raised), we would order a sirloin joint on the bone. Delia Smith for instance suggests "The cut of beef for roasting is of great importance – if it's a very special occasion I would go for a sirloin joint on the bone with the fillet still in it."

What is this cut of beef called in the US? I want to make sure I am getting the right thing!

In the US, the most similar regular cut would be the bone-in strip loin (or top loin; same thing) roast, but in the US this cut almost always has the fillet removed. If you want this with the fillet on, you'll have to order it a few days ahead from your butcher. If she doesn't know what you're talking about, tell her you want 'a bone-in roast made from that big chunk of meat you cut Porterhouse steaks from, with the meat on both the strip and fillet sides of the t-bone, and some fat left on top'. Good luck. This should cost slightly less per pound than Porterhouse steak.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

slightly off topic, but has anyone else noticed that good beef seems exorbitant this year? I was considering a prime rib for Christmas, but it looked like getting a decent one for 6 people was going to run more than $300 (niman). Instead, I ordered a pork crown roast for less than $100.