• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Repulsive Flavor Combinations

markk

I don't recall how I came upon it, probably during the chocolate everything phase in high school. Hershey's chocolate syrup on a tuna fish sandwich. Tas-tee.  Now I enjoy it during the chocolate everything phase of each month.

That one takes the biscuit for me. I'm willing to try most things but not that...not that.

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Chocolate and beer........... Wrong didley wrong wrong :sad:

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

I like grape jelly on my breakfast sausage at a diner. And I like grape jelly in my Cajun rice from Popeye's. It cuts on the saltiness and spiciness of it all and makes for this great sweet-spicy-salty-processed meat-n-rice yumminess.

Oh and on chicken fingers, too. From a diner.

(Ok, the only reason why that combination ever came about was because I had grape jelly with the toast/biscuit and some got into the savory foods.)

Salted fried chicken with powdered sugar and raspberry jelly. I don't THINK it's disgusting, but I am told that it IS. <sigh>

Hey, you guys, bring me some anyway, mmkay?

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Granny smith apples with salt, yum. And they have to be the super sour

New Zealand granny smiths, none of this Washington crap.

I grew up loving peanut butter and banana sandwiches, so nothing weird there.

Tried Elvis' recipe once, fried in butter, but too rich.

A very young boyfriend once ran out of coke and mixed rum and Welch's grape

juice. Psychedelic puke, man...

Granny smith apples with salt, yum. And they have to be the super sour

New Zealand granny smiths, none of this Washington crap.

I do this too. My mom taught me, so it can't be too weird.

Though, it's pretty common here to mix fruit and salt. We slice sour mangoes and mix with soya sauce or prawn paste too.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

We were talking about this at dinner last night.

Even though they're both dairy products, there's something just not right about cheese on ice cream.

What kind of cheese? I think that certain types of creamy cheeses on ice cream, such as mascarpone and ricotta, would probably be relatively uncontroversial (but I stand to be corrected).

At a restaurant in New York called Cacio e Pepe, you can order olive oil gelato with parmesan crisps, and the combination works very well together.

Michael aka "Pan"

Soft serve vanilla ice cream with Saltines... you scoop up the ice cream with the Saltines, so you can get a bit of ice cream on your fingers as well.  Crispy, salty, smooth, sweet, cold... I love it, my husband gags everytime he sees me do it.

Repulsive is in the tongue of the beholder.  :raz:

There is nothing remotely "gross" about that; it's not like Saltines are seasoned with chicken boullion and garlic salt. They're just neutral flour squares liberally salted (and most people know salt goes well with sweet). Not much different than pie crust without the fat, or a crispier cone without the sugar.

For a similar effect I used to cover ice cream with oyster crackers.

It's funny how many innocuous flavor combinations or preparation methods elicit an "ewwww, gross" just because they differ from the norm. I always used to make grilled peanut butter sandwiches. Same as the regular one but it makes the PB gooey and melted inside of buttery, grilled bread. (Even better if you add Trader Joe's corn-chile tomatoless salsa, or a few mini-marshmallows before throwing in the panini press ...).

But just the phrase "grilled peanut butter" used to draw so much gaggery from friends with timid palates.

I bet mini ice cream sandwiches on Saltines, refrozen to harden, would be good.

I have a homemade seville-orange mascarpone sorbet in my freezer right now, concept stolen from a yuzu mascarpone sorbet I had at a French restaurant in Osaka... and I've made lemon-cream cheese (aka "cheesecake") ice cream before...

On the other hand, I don't think I'll be making an ice cream with Stilton anytime soon. I'll leave that to Iron Chef.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Soft serve vanilla ice cream with Saltines... you scoop up the ice cream with the Saltines, so you can get a bit of ice cream on your fingers as well.  Crispy, salty, smooth, sweet, cold... I love it, my husband gags everytime he sees me do it.

There is nothing remotely "gross" about that; it's not like Saltines are seasoned with chicken boullion and garlic salt. They're just neutral flour squares liberally salted (and most people know salt goes well with sweet). Not much different than pie crust without the fat, or a crispier cone without the sugar.

It's funny how many innocuous flavor combinations or preparation methods elicit an "ewwww, gross" just because they differ from the norm. I always used to make grilled peanut butter sandwiches. Same as the regular one but it makes the PB gooey and melted inside of buttery, grilled bread. (Even better if you add Trader Joe's corn-chile tomatoless salsa, or a few mini-marshmallows before throwing in the panini press ...).

But just the phrase "grilled peanut butter" used to draw so much gaggery from friends with timid palates.

This reminded me of something I used to do.

At McDonald's, I'd dip french fries into chocolate sundaes. :hmmm:

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

This reminded me of something I used to do.

At McDonald's, I'd dip french fries into chocolate sundaes. :hmmm:

or french fries into wendy's frostys. That used to be gross when I was younger, but now it seems like everyone loves it - including me

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I never thought of this of repulsive, until recently, when a friend looked at me and said, what the hell are you doing?

Grilled cheese covered in worcestershire sauce.  I think it's a perfect marraige of flavors.

Perfectly normal - in the UK that's what they use in the Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce adverts.

My housemate had a corned beef (The dogfood like stuff from the tin, not proper corned beef) and cheese toasted sandwich last night. I thought that was fairly weird but he seemed to enjoy it.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

It's not an everyday menu item for him, but it was Del Cook in Nose Valley (apparently it's technically Osaka, but not exactly in town).

Some photos, though we were to distracted eating to take any pictures except of the chef himself and the surroundings, are on:

http://blog.jagaimo.com/archive/2004/10/18/269.aspx

I have a homemade seville-orange mascarpone sorbet in my freezer right now, concept stolen from a yuzu mascarpone sorbet I had at a French restaurant in Osaka

Which restaurant? I'm just a hop away from Osaka, and I love yuzu!

Jason Truesdell

I got the craziest cocktail request last week, a guy actually wanted Baileys Irish cream with orange juice blended with ice. It looked disgusting and yet he had three of them so he obviously really liked it... I wasn't brave enough to taste it!

Isn't that one of those combinations that curdles? I believe bartenders have particularly offensive names for cocktails that involve Bailey's and citrus.

I got the craziest cocktail request last week, a guy actually wanted  Baileys Irish cream with orange juice blended with ice. It looked disgusting and yet he had three of them so he obviously really liked it... I wasn't brave enough to taste it!

Jason Truesdell

Isn't that one of those combinations that curdles? I believe bartenders have particularly offensive names for cocktails that involve Bailey's and citrus.

Curdles is a far cry from what this did, the Baileys came to pieces

:wacko: It had to be the most revolting thing I have ever served, the only thing that "saved" it somewhat was the fact that it was blended with ice....I suppose there is no accounting for peoples tastes, the funny thing is that he REALLY likes it :rolleyes:

Sounds like curdling to me... Citrus and cream is tricky to marry, which is probably why I am so easily impressed by a tart lemon gelato.

Curdles is a far cry from what this did, the Baileys came to pieces

:wacko: It had to be the most revolting thing I have ever served, the only thing that "saved" it somewhat was the fact that it was blended with ice....I suppose there is no accounting for peoples tastes, the funny thing is that he REALLY likes it :rolleyes:

Jason Truesdell

I got the craziest cocktail request last week, a guy actually wanted  Baileys Irish cream with orange juice blended with ice. It looked disgusting and yet he had three of them so he obviously really liked it... I wasn't brave enough to taste it!

When i worked worked in my old college bar we used to quite often do things like that to stitch people up - funny thing was when one lad having been forced into drinking the thing (Some sporting achievement or so) came back 3 or 4 times and bought them with his own money.

I love animals.

They are delicious.