• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine in a Cardboard Box Comes to BC!

Sam Salmon

Has anyone else noticed that the abomination of many a nation-wine in a cardboard box-has arrived here in BC? :rolleyes:

I speak of the French Rabbit spotted hunched on LCB shelves just a few short hours ago.

I passed and went instead for an OK Valley Gewürztraminer-but that's just me I'm sure many will be queuing up to sample this latest marketing ploy.

Your thoughts?

Has anyone else noticed that the abomination of many a nation

I agree Sam. We saw lots of these in France (scandalous, n'est-ce-pas?), and even packs of "juice-box" sized wines.

Still, they'd be lighter than a glass bottle in your pack.

I'm just sayin' ....

A.

Hey guys,

We have had Tetra packs from Australia for the last five years. Just wait until we start getting Beaujolais and Chablis in aluminum cans :rolleyes: which I remember selling back in the late 80's in the U.K.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I think this is a great idea. If the vast majority of wine is consumed within hours of purchase, why on earth do we put it into heavy, breakable, hard-to-transport bottles? When it's $13 a liter, using a bottle versus tetra pak isn't going to make it taste any better. And nobody's going to be laying down this White Rabbit for their grandchildren to enjoy.

As mentioned, they're also great for hiking, or taking to the beach. Consume contents, don't worry about dropping and breaking it, squish it up when you pack it out -- easy!

By the way, Ontario is also using tetra bricks, and will soon be getting wine in 750ml PET (plastic) bottles. It's part of their effort to reduce the shipping expense of bringing in and recycling the containers.

Wishing I had a can of Chablis...

Ahh juice box wine brings back fond memories of sitting in a park in Barcelona with my sweetie. After an hour of working up a sweat gesturing at the local meat and cheese counters because we don't speak spanish ..... that wine went down pretty easy.

I'm all for this, and cans and hell even swizzle stick tasters if they got 'em.

....I passed and went instead for an OK Valley Gewürztraminer-but that's just me I'm sure many will be queuing up to sample this latest marketing ploy....

Most people like these and as far as I am concerned no harm no foul - would I buy it perhaps in the right circumstances but likely not. The plastic Wolf Blass bottles are what I really like here in Toronto.

Perhaps a bigger issue is all those people who buy non-VQA OK wine and have no idea the grapes come from Chile et. al. I actually laugh my ass off a little about it too. Suckers.

officially left egullet....

Sorry to drift. Point One: There are non-VQA wines that are all BC grapes - Kettle Valley, La Frenz, Poplar Grove, Blue Mountain, etc.

Point Two: Hester Creek did wines in a box a couple years back - didn't see them again. Must investigate.

Anyone know of other BC wine in box?

Gastronomista

Point Two: Hester Creek did wines in a box a couple years back - didn't see them again.  Must investigate.

They still show wine in a box from the 2004 vintage on sale on their website. As I recall this boxed stuff came out as the winery was changing hands and there was a whole lot of unbottled wine sitting around at the time.

Cheers,

Anne