• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food At Yankee Stadium

jrichman

So, I was at the Yankee Game last night and I was a little disapointed with the food options. First, I checked out the food court on the lower level on the 3rd base side, nothing much excdpt long lines. I ended up getting a meatball hero from Mike's Deli and it was good but could have used more sauce. So, I want to know where do you eat at Yankee stadium? Are there any healthy options? Do they have a Subway like Shea stadium does?

Thanks

If you buy box seats, they come with "admission" to a clubhouse restaurant, which is sort of like a Houlihans. The new stadium is supposed to have a few different restaurants. ( Hopefully a good steakhouse)

Now if you are really, really lucky ( which I have been a few times), you will see the game in a luxury suite. These are little living rooms which hold about 15-20 people, come with 20 outdoor seats, have their own waitstaff and catered food. Its great.

• 2 months later...

I'm at Yankee Stadium about 25-30 times per year and I almost always bring food from outside. The hot dogs aren't great in the stadium and nothing else is either. I would really recommend bringing your own. Often I pick up sandwiches. the deli/diner in the neighborhood is fine, but nothing to write home about. IMHO, the finest choice is US Fried Chicken on Gerard Ave. just south of 161st (by the bank on the corner). Excellent, well-spiced fried chicken, friendly proprietors and bargain prices. You'll make the security people at the stadium jealous when they look in your bag and get a whiff of that fine chicken.

Edited by Fat Al (log)

Press Cafe, the italian panini joint, located on the north side west side of the stadium. If you take the subway up, walk uptown under the elevated tracks, with the stadium on your right, and make the left on 157th Street, it's the place with the guiness emblem hanging off the side of the building. They open 3 or 4 hours before each home game and close an hour after. Great place to watch the game or wait out a rain delay too.

• 5 months later...

any other suggestions for food near Yankee Stadium?--last year someone at Chowhound recommended a place to get Cuban sandwiches in the nabe, but we couldn't find it.

I can always bring hoagies from home, but it would be more fun to get something nearby.

oops--just found another post about this with lots of info--sorry---Zoe

Edited by zoe b (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi..We always bring dinner which we enjoy in the car before the game...and then during the game there are 2 treats that are always great...the popcorn...fresh, not too salty and yummy and the soft serve ice cream in a mini helmet...wish there were more healthy and decent food... :hmmm:

Back when I was at a law firm, we used to entertain clients at Yankee games, and not only did we have great seats but also we were given plenty of cash to buy whatever we and our guests wanted. Even with the ability to get the outrageously overpriced ballpark food for free, I barely touched the stuff and opted for eating before or after the game.

There was just a story in the New York times on restaurants in the Yankee Stadium area of the South Bronx. I'll try to find it.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Here it is.

The restaurants recommended are:

BRUCKNER BAR AND GRILL

FEEDING TREE

MO GRIDDER’S BBQ

PRESS CAFÉ

REAL AZTECA

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 1 month later...

One more place that surprisingly gets little or no mention.

The Flash Inn is located a short 10 minute walk across the Macombs Dam Bridge in Manhattan. An Italian restaurant in business since 1937, they serve dependable Italian food in a nice room. Very hospitable service as well.

And how's this for a quick comparison:

I went to the Yankee game this past Thursday afternoon with some clients. I bought 4 large Heinekins, 4 hot dogs, a large bag of popcorn and a bag of peanuts. It cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $75.00.

The following night, we had dinner for 4 at the Flash Inn which included 2 Italian salads (easily fed 4), Grilled Smoked Mozzarella with Shrimp as a starter, 4 entrees and 4 drinks (beer & wine) for $150 all in. Plus we had a nice roundtrip walk over the bridge.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer