• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

suggestions for sauces for beef fondue...

zoe b

I'm doing a completely retro birthday dinner for my brother in law--

martinis

shrimp cocktail

salad with blue cheese dressing

beef fondue

I think I'll make that gorgeous white chocolate strawberry cake that was posted here recently for dessert.

(and then we will all drop dead)

now--I seldom made beef fondue even in the old days--so I could use advice

is filet the meat of choice?

do you have to use peanut oil? I'd prefer to use canola, but won't if anyone thinks there's a big difference in taste.

and the sauces--of course bearnaise, and I saw a recipe for a sour cream horseradish sauce here that sounds good--so what for the third one? a barbecue sauce, maybe?

and anyone have a fool-proof bearnaise?--I use Julia Child's recipe and it sometimes breaks on me.

Zoe

Edited by zoe b (log)

Zoe, Mr. Kim's family tradition for decorating the Xmas tree includes fondue. Beef before and chocolate after - so I did this every December before my daughter and I had our gastric bypasses.

The best meat is sirloin, I think. The sauces that we always serve are:

Bearnaise

Horseradish Cream

BBQ

Teriyaki

Steak Sauce (sometimes I just serve a GOOD purchased one, sometimes I make my own)

MIL always served catsup and bottled duck sauce, which just gives me the willies to think about :raz: !

I think that I might add a chimichurri sauce, if I were going to do it again.

Kim

I think a salsa verde/chimichurri type sauce would be a very nice option as Kim suggested.

We used to have some beef fondues "back in the day" but I can't recall the sauces too well other than I think my Mom made a type of homemade tartar sauce that was very good with the beef.

As an alternative to a bbq sauce, a thick chipotle salsa/sauce might be nice.

Thanks for reminding me of this. My mom gave me their old fondue set last time I was home I need to fire it up!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Zoe,

James Peterson's bearnaise cooked over direct heat works for me. The original version is in his book "Sauces" and can be cooked over high heat in 2 minutes. This really works but does takes some fast footwork.

The real advantage is that you make the sabayon before adding any butter. If the sabayon is undercooked, you can add more heat. If the sabayon is overcooked, you begin fresh with a few egg yolks. Very little waste if you make a mistake.

He modified the recipe for Taunton's Fine Cooking.

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/recipes...aise_sauce.aspx

The bearnaise may be enhanced with reduced meat juices or kicked up with aleppo pepper and microplaned shallots.

The direct heat method is a showstopper in front of friends.

Tim

Edited by tim (log)

I think sirloin is the better choice for meat. It can be marinated if you like, but not too long or it might fall off the forks! Canola oil should be fine, I would think.

For sauces, I like a horseradish one made with mayonaise, white vinegar, a little A-1 steak sauce, and a good shot of hot horseradish.

Another good one is to take small portobello mushrooms and shallots and chop them really fine in a food processor. Saute them really well in butter, salt and pepper, get them nice and cramelized. Add either some nice Pinot Noir or some good Marsala and reduce by about half . Yum.

I always use canola oil and I use sirloin. I don't marinade it either. I use a variety of sauces one is basically ketchup, vinegar and horseradish, the other is a wine sauce which takes a little more work, but is really good. I also make my bernaise sauce in a blender and it never breaks when I do it that way!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Not really a sauce, but I mix ketchup and oyster sauce together when I make steak.

Another idea that sprung to mind is using wasabi (if you can find fresh, it's be even better) instead of regular horseradish.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

The real advantage is that you make the sabayon before adding any butter.  If the sabayon is undercooked, you can add more heat.  If the sabayon is overcooked, you begin fresh with a few egg yolks.  Very little waste if you make a mistake.

I also use this technique. I think it is a lot easier to control the cooking of the egg if done that way.

glad to know sirloin is ok--now a dumb question--is a sirloin tip roast acceptable? my A&P has it on sale this week.

From what I could read, it's tender enough for kabobs--but i know my husband will throw a baby fit if it's not tender enough.

loved all the sauce ideas--except Mr Kim's mil's sauce.

I think I'll add a chimichurri/salsa verde to the mix--something a little lighter would be good.

and Tim, thanks for the sauce link--I will try it--but early in the evening--after 2 wines I'm no longer reliable in the sauce making department.

Zoe

At the local Swiss restaurant, 7 or 8 sauces are served with the beef fondue. By far, my favorite sauce is their version of a curry sauce. It has the consistency like that of mayo and a nice, mild curry flavor. Other ideas that may work: garlic aioli, pesto sauce, chutney, balsamic reduction, mushroom sauce, peanut sauce, thai sweet chili sauce and some sort of hot sauce.

Edited by annachan (log)

Zoe,

I will have to disagree on the sirloin, unless you will use a marinade before cooking. If you are using a marinade, sirloin or sirloin tri-tip is perfect.

I would use a top blade roast (the SECOND most tender steak cut and very flavorful!) with the center tendon removed. (Almost like a whole salmon that is fileted, only you are removing the tendon.) This makes it into two flat iron steaks. Or you can buy top blade steaks (cut like salmon steaks) and remove the center tendon.

Rib eye steak or strip steak are also more tender option than the sirloin.

Tim

Usually when I do fondue I make really thin strips, in which case tenderness is only slightly inportant. I would shoot for the more flavorfull pieces of meat because when in thin strips like a stir fry thinckness or thinner even it will get a natural softness. This allows you to shoot for more flavor. I would say blade, but dont be shy of a roast either, stay away from areass with tendons or silverskin.

Sauces would be determined by the decision of other dishes. Many great ideas could go Asian theamed or South American or tradition French. Many of the posters had great ideas for sauces.

If you don't have a budget, the best cut to use is tenderloin. Otherwise, use sirloin. Cut them into cubes. Fondue is not Mongolian Hotpot.

My mother served fondue every new year's from late 60s to the 80s. She always used tenderloin or sirloin.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

I wouldn't use the sirloin tip roast, could be tough. If tenderness is the prime (pun intended) consideration, then use a more marbled cut like filet mignon or rib eye. I like sirloin for its combination of beefy flavor and texture, but it will be a little chewier than a fattier cut.

sauce bourguignonne

When I was living in Beaujolais, that was served with every meat fondue or pirade. It was always store-bought, but it was pretty good anyway. It probably would be even better home-made.

Did everyone only have beef in the fondue? When I was growing up my mother would organize a fondue party a couple of times each winter, and we always had a choice of meats: pork tenderloin, beef fillet, chicken breast, veal liver (which would really splatter), little meatballs, and little meatballs wrapped in bacon.

For sauces, all kinds of mayonnaise-based sauces: mustardsauce, a curried mayonaise, a kind of tartar sauce with fresh herbs and garlic. Now that I think of it, it's highly improbable that there were fresh herbs in there, my mom never used those, I guess my memory (for once) is improving a childhood food memory! :smile: